Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti GV-N98TWF3OC-6GD (Non G1 Gaming) Question

chanchan

Limp Gawd
I recently bought this card because it seems to be the best value and has the one particular feature that I'm looking for - 2x DVI!

Couple of questions being a newbie Nvidia owner, I have been using AMD for the past 8+ years.

-This card uses 2x 8 pin PCI-E power connectors compared to 6+8 in other designs, is there a benefit to Gigabyte's design?

-The card comes slightly over-clocked, does this automatically consume some "Power Target" head room, as I am only given 104% through MSI afterburner

-When you increase the Core voltage, does this affect the "Power Target"? If increasing the Core lets me hit a higher Core frequency doesn't it also hit the Power Target much earlier causing any gains to be lost?

Thanks!

Hey and welcome to the "green team" :D

I will answer your questions in the order:

1. The 6+8 vs 8+8 pin basically means that the card is made to draw more power (if needed) from the power supply. In theory, the 8+8 pin should overclock better but it's not 100% sure - you could fin a 6+8 pin card that overclocks better than the 8+8 pin, depending on the chip. Also, the 8+8 will be more stable.

2. No, the 104% power target is locked from nvidia and is independent from the card's manufacturer.

3. Incresing the core voltage does not give any MORE headroom for power target. They are linked in the way that if you want to add core voltage, you WILL NEED to up the power target to 104% to have stability.

My recommendation is to find the highest stabile OC without touching the core voltage. Just up the power target to 104% in msi afterburnet and them find the highest stable core frequency. Also, i would not tune the memory frequency as it doesn't offer a lot of benefit in games, if none.

Cheers and hope i've been of help!

L.E: You could flash the G1 bios, but you can much easier manually oc the card. The G1 has a backplate and "binned gpu's" so you might be in the situation in wich your card isn't stable an G1 clocks and you will need to revert.

Just manually oc the card and forget about it :)

Hey and welcome to the "green team" :D

I will answer your questions in the order:

1. The 6+8 vs 8+8 pin basically means that the card is made to draw more power (if needed) from the power supply. In theory, the 8+8 pin should overclock better but it's not 100% sure - you could fin a 6+8 pin card that overclocks better than the 8+8 pin, depending on the chip. Also, the 8+8 will be more stable.

2. No, the 104% power target is locked from nvidia and is independent from the card's manufacturer.

3. Incresing the core voltage does not give any MORE headroom for power target. They are linked in the way that if you want to add core voltage, you WILL NEED to up the power target to 104% to have stability.

My recommendation is to find the highest stabile OC without touching the core voltage. Just up the power target to 104% in msi afterburnet and them find the highest stable core frequency. Also, i would not tune the memory frequency as it doesn't offer a lot of benefit in games, if none.

Cheers and hope i've been of help!

L.E: You could flash the G1 bios, but you can much easier manually oc the card. The G1 has a backplate and "binned gpu's" so you might be in the situation in wich your card isn't stable an G1 clocks and you will need to revert.

Just manually oc the card and forget about it :)

Thanks for the reply you have been very helpful!

The actual Gigabyte card I have has the same back-plate and a non-LED version of the Windforce cooler, I have a feeling this card didn't pass the "binning" process and they flashed with a nerfed VBIOS.

Interesting point on the memory I never knew! So far I have my card at 1215 core/1350 boost, so I guess that's "decent".

Back