gigabyte m6800 is drifting up & left

tarlog

Limp Gawd
My 14-month old Gigabyte M6800 has taken to drifting in the direction the cursor arrow typically points in. My cursor arrow always points left and up and that's where it goes... kind of slowly, and it takes a few minutes to start but once it does it's inexorable. Whacking the mouse = No Joy. Cleaning off the exterior didn't seem to win the day, either.

Is there a way to fix this?

Thank you for any/all suggestions (short of "replace it" - LOL)

M'God! I've put all the [H]'ers asleep!

I realize this isn't an exciting technical problem for almost all of you, but doesn't anyone know if this drifting problem can - or can't - be fixed?

Haaalp!

M'God! I've put all the [H]'ers asleep!

I realize this isn't an exciting technical problem for almost all of you, but doesn't anyone know if this drifting problem can - or can't - be fixed?

Haaalp!

Have you verified it is for sure the mouse causing it? Try unplugging the mouse when it starts happening.

You could also try a different mouse surface or uninstalling the drivers/software to confirm if it is a hardware problem.

Have you verified it is for sure the mouse causing it? Try unplugging the mouse when it starts happening.

You could also try a different mouse surface or uninstalling the drivers/software to confirm if it is a hardware problem.

Thank you very much, sharknice: switching the USB port didn't make any difference but unplugging the mouse (even just lifting it off what I've been using as a mousepad - a printed dinner placemat) stops the drift in its tracks. I've got to find a different 'mousepad' and try that. Your suggestions have pointed me in the right direction.

What *are* the characteristics of a GOOD mouse-pad? Are there any spec's on them?

Thanks a lot for your help

Thank you very much, sharknice: switching the USB port didn't make any difference but unplugging the mouse (even just lifting it off what I've been using as a mousepad - a printed dinner placemat) stops the drift in its tracks. I've got to find a different 'mousepad' and try that. Your suggestions have pointed me in the right direction.

What *are* the characteristics of a GOOD mouse-pad? Are there any spec's on them?

Thanks a lot for your help

Something as matte as possible (non-reflective) with very fine detail.

Other than that there is friction to consider but that is more of a personal preference.
I prefer something as slippery as possible. The Corsair MM400 and Logitech G440 are probably the best for low friction.

Did you try it yet on a different surface? Try it on something else a piece of paper if it stops the drift its probably the surface. But the most common cause of drift on a mouse is a small fiber or hair that get caught under the laser and vibrates.

Back