Gigabyte P965-P35 X38 overclocking and BIOS tweaking Guide

After completing the tutorial, there is certainly something wrong with the before-overclocking settings when it comes to Vista. My Vista crashes every time when I get to the login.. blue screens and resets.. the moment I reverted to default, it went away, tried it again, blue screen again, back to defaults, no bluescreen... any idea what it could be?

Me too. Vista BSODs, restarts, and all kinds of crap. I had to set back to stock just to get to the desktop...

450x7 was completely stable with XP...not with Vista now. Fucken Vista :(

After completing the tutorial, there is certainly something wrong with the before-overclocking settings when it comes to Vista. My Vista crashes every time when I get to the login.. blue screens and resets.. the moment I reverted to default, it went away, tried it again, blue screen again, back to defaults, no bluescreen... any idea what it could be?

WoW not good not good at all, I will look over the setting again for stuff that might make a difference, just to make sure I understand, if you "load fail safe defaults" or "load optimized defaults" Vista runs ok, but if you use the bios settings in the guide Vista crashes per above ?

Pretty sure I got that rignt and two of you having issue, kk, my first thought is the Visulation and mabe the C1E thermal stuff. I will make a list of what I think Vista could be insisting on or that might might be required. Grrrrrr Dont have Vista so all I can do is toss out ideas based on research.

VISTA COMPATIBILTY ISSUE​

BE sure to look for any boot, install or error logs to help track down this issue.

Try this:

Under Advanced Bios Options:

No-Execute Memory Protect__ [Enabled]
(NX bit)

This is a prime canidate for causing a problem with vista. , c2d support this in the hardware and its a security feature which Vista is touchy about, Try setting to enable. Let me know. still looking.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NX_bit

Windows Vista also uses processor-enforced Data Execution Prevention on all processes to mark some memory pages as non-executable data segments (like the heap and stack), and subsequently any data is prevented from being interpreted and executed as code. This prevents exploit code from being injected as data and then executed. Though DEP was present in Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1, its enforcement has been made stricter[verification needed] in Windows Vista.

DEP is still not enforced for all applications by default in Vista and is only turned on for critical system components.

x86-64 -specific features
Data Execution Prevention (DEP) uses only the NX-bit support in processors, with no fallback software emulation. This ensures that the less effective software-enforced DEP (which is only safe exception handling) is not used. In 32 bit versions, however, software-enforced DEP is an option.

Looks like it will mostly be an issue with Vista 64 bit be sure to mention if that is what you are using/having a problem with.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Might try this too, only do one change at a time so we can see what it really is.
Integrated Peripherals
SATA AHCI Mode__________ [Enabled]

enable that if you are using SATA 3GBs (SATAII) drives, maybe Vista has AHCI sata drivers built in.

AHCI is the "real" SATA drivers that take advantage of SATA's improved communicaion between the controller and the disk. non-ACHI actually runs the drive in "compatibility mode" which is fancy way of saying "we took your money for an SATA drive but run it with the old IDE controller command set hahahaha " but its a real mess now with what hardware (motherboard) vs SW drivers vs OS as to who can suport what. anywho

Then try,
SATA AHCI Mode__________ [Disabled]
SATA Native Mode _________[Disabled]
no typo both disabled.

Vist this post often I will be looking at this all day/weekend off and on till we get ya going.

I'm in my office right now, but when I'm home tonight I will troubleshoot it with you, do you have an e-mail, or another contact method, I also had some proposals for you.

Anyways, it happens way to fast for me to right down anything, I haven't tried the pause key yet, to see if there is a way to suspense the memory dump.. in XP/98 when you get a bluescreen you have some time to right down the failure addresses, but in Vista, it happens in literally less than a second. I did initially try uninstalling drivers in safe mode, I would uninstall a driver, and then reboot and check for bluescreens. I had just formatted and installed all the up to date drivers, so i figured it could be one of them. There were no changes until I uninstalled the USB Interface controllers.. I rebooted and was able to get into windows.. I started up company of heroes and it went slow as hell.. computer stopped responding a few times, tried to get into the actual gameplay, and the system just hung.. hopped a few times whilst heating the cpu up, and then locked.. rebooted and it bluescreened on the login again. It doesn't happen immediately.. the computer will start, change resolutions, show the login screen, and then 2-6 seconds later it bluescreens.. originally I thought it might be a driver or file being loaded into memory, but now after just a little troubleshooting it has to be a bios setting, and I would steer towards memory, or settings that correlate to usb interface.

Bill, if you don't mind, can you please take a look at my specs:

My system is as follows:

e6400@2656 (8x333)
DS3 Rev (2.0)
2 gigs of G.Skill PC6400

I am only able to get the system to boot at the 333 FSB. Even as little of an increase as to 340 will cause the board not to POST at all. I'm starting to believe this is because the rev 2.0 board only has a rated FSB of 1066, whereas I'm currently running it at 1333. Is there anything I can do to increase the speed at all?

My voltage settings are all what you recommended, except +0.2v on the memory instead of +0.3v. Timings are 5,5,5,15.

I'm a bit angry at being stuck at what seems to be a very small overclock (for a C2D anyways). I ordered the board from NewEgg believing that I'd get a r3.3, but was sadly disappointed.

Thank you for your time!

-mike

ok maybe someone can help me here. I have set my bios settings exactly to what you have posted and i can only reach 3.0ghz.After that my pc restarts in orthos. I have tried varying my pci freq from 100-102, upping the ddr2
this is what im running:

fsb 333x9
e4300 with scythe ninja 1.45v,
patriot extreme pc-6400 ddr2-800 2.2v CL4-5-5-5-15

my temps load around 55 degrees so i dont think its my cpu. Im thinking its my ram but i though this ram was supposed to reach 3.2 easy. its not even running at its rated speed.

What am i doing wrong? can i try anything different?

OK guys remember I dont have a clue how you got to where you are, if by carefull testing or just "went for it" so bear with me.

RaDeonXtreme - hmm well have seen some reports of about 3GHz is it for some 4300's some go a lot more but you might have got a crappy one, but we can test, and find out. Your cooling is good if you getting 55C with a very high 1.45 Vcore so thats not the problem. (use coretemp or TAT to measure temps ) you might even have a tad too much Vcore if you started out that high.

mike- something really not right but no clue, trouble is it can be some little thing so its hard to say, but that setup should do a hella lot better than that.

So all we can do is attack in a methodical way, eliminate stuff till we zero in on what the problem is.

K , both you guys lets try this. and what I am thinking is its the NB (fsb wall and or heat issue) or maybe the ram but that would be odd , 800MHz ram for both setups and a 333 FSB so that should not be an issue. But we are going to eliminate the ram as the possible source of the problem and then go from there.

If you have not and it is still there, pull that cover/decoration off of the mch heatsink/pipe. the thin bling thing that says Gigabyte. Not sure if its on all boards or not. If you do, grab an edge with something and give it a good hard wiggle and pull, should come right off. Leave the side of the case off. If you got a spare fan or can steal one from someplace on the case easily, plug it in and point it at that MCH/Northbridge. Just prop it up on something, any air blowing around/towards the MCH is good.

OK first we eliminate the issue of is it the ram ? Once we can prove its not our ram we can move on.

From the main bios screen hit F11 and type in a name and save your current bios config . Then in the MIT.

set the cpu mulitplier to 6
set the cpu host frequency to 200
set the memory mulitplier to 4.0
Memory speed to AUTO
memory enhanced performance disabled
oh that video card thing at top put it on auto.
cpu voltage 1.35V (or as close as you can get using next higher increment I dont have a DS3. )
Back off the ram voltage to exacty what the manuf recommends +.1 Volt.
set the other voltages auto except MCH +.1

that will underclock the cpu at a meesly 1.2GHz but the ram should be running at 800MHz. but with relaxed/loose memory timings.

put memest in a floopy drive or cd so that if we miss the bios on reboot we dont have to wiat for windows or crash windows and we will need it in a few anyway. Under Advanced Bios options set the first boot device to whatever you have memtest in.

Save and let it boot,

let it go into memtest and run the first 3 tests, only takes a min for those.
esc to reboot and go into bios and give it (add) another 3 MHz to the FSB,
that does not sound like much but remember its x 4 to the memory.
jot FSB down in notes because we might have to clear the cmos and you need to know that number.
Rinse and repeat until it will not boot or you get memtest errors. If you can get back into the bios back off 3 MHz and try to get a full pass of memest. if not back off another 3 MHz and try again and keep doing that until you do get a clean memtest full run.

Ok hopefully you made it to like 850+ MHz actual memory speed (212 - 215 FSB) and we can quit and probally rule out the memory or bad stuff happened real quick and we can blame the memory but one way or the other we know what the memory will do as far as FSB.

IF your memory checks out ok. ( if not hmm well we worry about that when it happens)

Try this (leave eveything else alone for now)
cpu mulit 7
host freq 401
memory mulit 2.0
memroy speed (auto)
memory voltage per the manuf specs +.1 V
cpu voltage 1.38 (if this test run fails try upping to 1.4 and do a second try)

that should be 2.8 GHz with memory running at 800MHz
let it run memtest for a bit, 5 min or so, grab a coke etc.
stick a finger on the MCH/northbridge heatsink and see how high you can count. 1000 -1 1000-2 1000-3 if you cant make it to 1000-6 or so you have got to get a fan on that NB.

if all ok we going for the big one.
set mulit to 8 and pray.

if that works and you get a memtest pass, boot into windows, check temps and try orthos for a while, if OK the next thing to do see if we can reduce the cpu voltage down and remain stable. drop Vcore down a notch and try a memtest run, 1 full pass , if ok boot windows and run orthos for a while, if ok reboot and drop Vcore down a notch and redo memtest then orhtos till something craps out, then raise vcore back up a notch. Will be real luck if it all works out and we get here but we shall see. i will be around tomorrow nite and maybe a bit tomorrow afternoon. let me know.

take notes and let me know. there is a reported "wall" that we are trying to skip over and the NB heat issue is significant as well.

I couldn't manage to get to any concise answer, I started to get more problems and gave up vista all together, I'm posting now from a fresh format with windows XP sp2.

I'm not very concerned about heat issues myself, I'm running a watercooled setup, my processor is now currently idling at 21c and I have a 250mm fan against my motherboard, so heat should not even be an issue until I'm really getting into something ridiculous. My memory is ballistix pc2-8000 and has never gotten to an even "warm" feel.

Bill!

Thank you very much for that step-by-step!

*I'm sorry if this post isn't very read-able, as I have been adding to it while trying out different overclocking settings*

I think my computer needed more than the 1.350v I was giving it.

At 1.350v, I tried to lower the multiplier to 7x, and was able to get a FSB of 425 before I got tired of increasing it further. 7x425 = 3.0 Ghz. At that speed, the Northbridge was getting a little too hot, so I stopped increasing the FSB there. Obviously not memory limited.

At 1.350v and 8x multipler it still wasn't able to boot at even 350 FSB, but increasing the voltage to 1.3815v broke through the wall. At 1.3815v I was able to run 3dmark2006 at a FSB of 420, giving a total speed of 3.36 GHz. However, the temperatures were a litle high at that speed, so I kept lowering the voltages while keeping 400 FSB, my target speed.

*Update*

For some reason, I was able to get the voltages down to 1.34375v, less than I started with.

I then realized that none of those voltages under 1.381v would boot when the system was COLD REBOOTED. Hot rebooting (restart) would allow me to get into windows at voltages less than the normal reference voltage, which was weird.

*Update*

For a stable profile that works with cold rebooting, I was able to narrow it down to the following:

3.2GHz (8x400) @ 1.381v <--- Too hot under Orthos (73C)
3.0GHz (8x375) @ 1.36125v <--- A little better (69C)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that the reason that all my temperatures are a little hotter than they should be is that the Load Bearing Plate on the motherboard is very slightly bent. I first opened the motherboard to find the "never remove" fake processor plate at the bottom of the box, and I think the bracket was slightly kinked during shipping, which causes the heat sink to seat a little higher than it should. I didn't recognize it at the time, but it's probably the reason for my heat issue.

Either way, I'm very happy with 3.0 GHz, and wouldn't have been able to get it without you, Bill. Many thanks!

-mike

Your very welcome :)

I cant remember your setup but a Fan on the NB is the way to go. Cooler parts last longer. and if you ever take it out of the case, check back for my heatpipe tweak guide.

Quick update:

Pissed off at Vista 64bit and moved to 32bit. Runs smooth as silk and I love it. I'm able to boot and stay Orthos 8hr stable @ 450fsb. Anything over is a no go, I believe I'm ram limited at the moment. I did reinstall the heatsink and now the load never goes over 47c :D

I know the reason for the bluescreens for both me and (probably) the other poster.. if you have an e-mail or im program I'll let you know.

DDR2 Voltage
PCI-E Voltage
(G)MCH Voltage
CPU Voltage

Which program will show all of these in windows? (vista)

DDR2 Voltage
PCI-E Voltage
(G)MCH Voltage
CPU Voltage

I know of no program that will do all that.
I know of no program that will display the MCH Voltage or temp.
I know of no progam that will display the PCI-E voltage.

Speedfan reports Vdimm accurately but the name is wrong, and Vcore seems inaccurate. Fan rpm does not work on DQ6 .

Ugh I'm getting pissed now.

I replaced my cheap G.skill DDR2800 with some Ballstix Tracers PC2-5300 3-3-3-15 but now, even at 2.3v I can't even post at 350fsb when my old kit was able to do 450! What the hell? Is there something wrong with my memory?

Here's a question.. I can't get the system to post over 3.0GHz.. I'm running an E6600 w/ ballistix pc-8000 mem. I have my divider at 2:0 and my memory at 334Mhz w/ 9x multiplier - giving me 3.0GHz - it won't make it to 350mhz without failing to post.. my memory timings and voltages are fine.. I'm actually able to run much much tighter timings than specified w/ the mem at 667.. but I'm at just about HALF the memory potential and I'm failing to post? I followed your guide very closely, I installed a fan on my northbridge, lapped my processor and my waterblock - currently idles at 24c and loads at 38c @ 3.0GHz ... I have a Rev 3.3 DS3 running bios F9 - I haven't flashed to F10 because I don't own a floppy or usb drive, I really doubt that could be hampering my OC that terribly much... what gives? I'm normally not one to ask questions as I have a hell of a lot of persistence and patience, but i'm stuck.

Alright so I don't understand whats happening.

E6300 Q704A021
Crucial Ballstix Tracer PC2-5300 3-3-3-12

I figured out that my ram was rated @ 2.2v and I was undervolting it by accident hehe so I pushed it now to 2.3v and tried getting to the highest my ram could go.

I was able to push my ram to 1050mhz with my cpu multi dropped to 6x so I assume my ram is just fine. Memtested A'Ok.

Now heres what I don't get.

My old set (G.Skill DDR2-800) was able to run 860mhz, giving me 3.2ghz out of my E6300 however with this new set I can't get it to post over 429fsb no matter how much voltage or timing adjustment I give it. I know the chip can reach 450fsb...but with this new ram I can't get there. Am I doing something wrong?

I found out a little more on temp readings. I went ahead and purchased a Zalman 7700 to help on cooling. In the instructions it had a good diagram and description of Tc vs Td temperature:

Tc = CPU-case temp = This is the temp being read off of the the heatspreader of the cpu
Td = CPU-die temp = The actual internal temp of the cpu being read on the die

Td is what programs like TAT and Coretemp are reading and Tc is what motherboard sensors, etc are reading. According to the instructions in the Zalman, it suggested going by the Tc temp to know you're operating limits. It also said the Td reads 4-10c higher that Tc (for obvious reasons) and will explain the difference seen between the motherboard temp readings and programs like Coretemp.

All this may have been mentioned already, so sorry if its a repeat of info.

Here is where I have ended up stable:

3.0ghz (375 x 8)
2.0 divider on my ram = 800mhz = 4-4-4-15 (OCZ Platinum)
1.35 vcore
+.2 vdimm
+.1 on rest like the guide says

Before the Zalman, my MCH was getting WAY TOO HOT to the touch. With the Zalman it stays barely warm (it was the perfect heatsink/fan as it overlaps so much it cools my MCH and my RAM).

My idle temps Tc = 34c (after orthos blend test was running for a couple of hours, not a cold boot)
My load temps Tc = 58-60c (Orthos blend)

I couldn't get Orthos stable at 3.2ghz, even with 1.38 vcore. I may revisit it later and see if I can tweak some more but for now, I am happy with 3.0 and my current temps.

Oh, and another wrap from one of my earlier posts:

I verified that my board was rev3.3 (printed right on the pcb) but my bios was F2 which I found on their website to be the latest rev2.0 bios. At any rate, of course a bios flash for F10 fixed that issue.

After long hours of testing, I can verify that adjusting the PCI-E frequency DOES affect your overclock, specificly with Micron D9 based ram.

Here it goes:

Crucial Ballistix Tracers DDR2-667 5-5-5-15 2.4v (2.2v rated)

PCI-E Freq | Stable FSB (x7)
102 | 430
103 | 430
*Note, 1FSB increase w/o PCI-E increase resulted in errors/restarts/BSODs/coldboot
110 | 440
115 | 460
120 | 500 (currently @ 4hrs Orthos/Memtest stable, still testing.)

G.skill DDR2-800 5-5-5-15 (2GBNQ) 2.3v (2.1v rated)

PCI-E Freq | Stable FSB (x7)
102 | 450
103 | 450
*Note, 1FSB increase w/o PCI-E increase resulted in errors/restarts/BSODs/coldboot
110 | 460
*Note, at this point I reached the max this ram would go.
115 | 470
120 | 470

Although this is limited to two sets of ram, it gives at least something.

I think that the reason that all my temperatures are a little hotter than they should be is that the Load Bearing Plate on the motherboard is very slightly bent. I first opened the motherboard to find the "never remove" fake processor plate at the bottom of the box, and I think the bracket was slightly kinked during shipping, which causes the heat sink to seat a little higher than it should. I didn't recognize it at the time, but it's probably the reason for my heat issue.

-mike

My brand new DS3 v3.3 from newegg also has a slightly bent load bearing plate - are you saying this isn't normal? From visual inspection the stock heatsink appears to sit flush with the cpu heat spreader.

Psoriac,

I was concerned that this was a specific problem with my board, until I looked up the patent on which the LGA775 socket was based. It specifies a bent loading plate.

No problem =)

-mike

After long hours of testing, I can verify that adjusting the PCI-E frequency DOES affect your overclock, specificly with Micron D9 based ram.

I can also confirm this. I have been playing around with my new system for about a month. I tried and tried to get to 3.4GHz (8x425) and couldn't do it. I saw your post and decided to test it out. I set PCI-E 115, FSB to 425 and vCore to 1.450. I ran two instances of Prime95 for over an hour without any problem. Before setting the PCI-E to 115, I couldn't touch a 425 FSB. All I did was this one test. I wonder how far I can go?!?

I'm using the following pertinent components:

• Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
  • Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 (Rev. 3.3) w/ Thermalright HR-05 on the NB
  • G.Skill F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ 8GB (4x2GB)
Any theories as to why this is? BTW, thanx to BillParrish for making this great guide! It helped me jump back into OCing. I was a little out of touch since I was coming from an Abit AN7 with a Athlon XP 2500.

DDR2 Voltage
PCI-E Voltage
(G)MCH Voltage
CPU Voltage

I dont know about Vista but if you have an ASUS MB PC Probe 2 will report all of that and it is fairly accurate.

Does anyone know why this line is missing from my MB Intelligent Tweaker settings?

DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Mine simply has:
Sysyem Memory Multiplier (SPD) [2.00]
Memory Frequency (Mhz) 800 533
High Speed DRAM DLL Settings [Option1]

Any ideas? I just got a rev 3.3 board, I think the bios is D10. Thanks for any help.

Just saw this thread, been running my ds3 rev 3.3 at 505 fsb for the last few weeks on my e6300, had it at 522 fsb for a while, but seemed like my cpu was getting hotter than i wanted so i just dropped it down a little. might try to reseat the heatsink better later on and try 522 fsb again.

Been working great for me so far, i keep pci-e freq at 100, but maybe ill try increases in fsb and see what happens.

i also think i am about to swap out my g.skill hz's for some crucial pc2-8000's.

I have the scythe infinity installed with the hr-05 on my nb, they slightly touch but i figure it isn't a big deal.

I also haven't had many cold boot issues either, only major problems are when i try to boot up with unstable settings and i get the boot cycling until the overclock is disabled and then i go back to playing with different oc settings.

Excellent guide.

I've been reading this forum topic and had a quick question concerning a single HDD (Raptor 150gig 10k) and which SATA port to use, Jmicron or Intel. Does it matter? I won't be doing any Raid stuff or AHCI mode stuff. I also have a Samsung SATA DVD R/W; can I hook both the HDD and DVD R/W into the JMicron (or Intel)?

The final concern is about the SATA Port0-3 in the bios..what is it exactly? Is Native better than legacy mode or something?

Would these settings be OK? (I'll also be using Windows Vista 32bit Home Premium)

SATA AHCI Mode__________ [Disabled]
SATA Port0-3 Native Mode [Enabled]
Onboard SATA/IDE Device_ [Disabled] <----- I believe this refers to the Gigabyte SATAII ports
Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode [IDE]

Hi all. This is a great post. I haven't had time to dig into it yet.

However, I was wondering if anybody had trouble with the fan speed readings. I am getting this:

I am currently running an E6600 at stock with a DS3 rev 3.3, 2GB of Firestix and a Scythe Infinity cooler.

I tried both with the Smart Fan settings on and off. Any thoughts?

I get a similar reading from speedfan...you can't use it with the DS3 for accurate readings...try TaT or Core Temp for temp readings...everest is good for fanspeeds, but not temps.

I get a similar reading from speedfan...you can't use it with the DS3 for accurate readings...try TaT or Core Temp for temp readings...everest is good for fanspeeds, but not temps.

I will give it a try. That is kind of bogus. Any work around to get Speedfan working. This is the first board where neither speedfan or motherboardmanager do not give the full status. Argh!

When you talk about how the MCH overclocks as you raise the FSB does that essentially increase the temperature as well even though I havnt added any extra voltage? I have a small 40mm fan on the northbride (the heatsink closest to the CPU) and am running my FSB at 400mhz.

Also I'm running speedfan and "temp 2" is reading 45-50C under load, im guessing thats the northbridge/MCH?

Kinda confused about the whole northbridge/MCH, any explanation would be helpful.

Thanks,

Foz

Thanks for the guide Bill! Scanning bits and pieces of your guide gave me the know-how to take my e6420 on the ds3 to 3.34 ghz, exactly what i was running with my aging p4. Different multiplier / fsb of course! I'm sure I skipped over plenty of important information, but I needed the instant gratification. The card and board seems to willingly oblige. I'm sure I'll push it a lot more than this some day just to see its limit, but this feels like a damn good place to keep it for a 24/7 computer.

I have a question for you guys. I have used Athlons since I started building computers (early 2000), from the XPs to the A64s and the Optys. I have overclocked all those lines. So I feel I have a good handle on PC building and OCing, etc.

Does anyone feel like the C2D is not that much better than the recent X2's or Opterons? I mean, the benchmark numbers are better, but I find that ripping and encoding DVD's take longer, multiproccessor tasks seem to be more processor intensive. Is it the motherboard? Is it the drivers?

I mean, I replaced my Opty 165 which was OC'd to 2.5 GHz with a C2D E6600, the DS3 and Firestix, everything else is pretty much the same from the previous machine. Why the discrepancy?

Anyone have a similar experience?

Which one of these is the rev 3 board? I'm guessing the bottom one, since the top is rev 1.3 and the middle is the 965g mobo. Any particular reason why the rev3 board is better other than the additional raid controller?

This guide has really helped me. My E4400 is up to 3.2 Ghz and im just waiting for orthos to compleat 4hours+ and ill be posting in the overclocking database. :D

Thanks

Does anyone know why this line is missing from my MB Intelligent Tweaker settings?

DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Mine simply has:
Sysyem Memory Multiplier (SPD) [2.00]
Memory Frequency (Mhz) 800 533
High Speed DRAM DLL Settings [Option1]

Any ideas? I just got a rev 3.3 board, I think the bios is D10. Thanks for any help.

Yea bios is D10...........mine is same way, doesn't have line for manual timings. Anybody have an idea as to why?

Back