Gigabyte R585OC Video Card Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Gigabyte R585OC Video Card Review - The Gigabyte R585OC offers a new generation of inclined cooling fans, Ultra Durable components, and higher GPU frequencies. We test against a stock clock Radeon HD 5850 and a GeForce GTX 470 in Splinter Cell Conviction, Metro 2033, Battlefield Bad Company 2, and Aliens vs. Predator.

Great review ta, always fascinating to see how much these differ from other sites. I wonder if non-ref designs always stunk in terms of power consumption (vs ref) or is this isolated to the 5850s?

Great review ta, always fascinating to see how much these differ from other sites. I wonder if non-ref designs always stunk in terms of power consumption (vs ref) or is this isolated to the 5850s?

We saw Galaxy's come in just a little higher in terms of power, not even worth noting, but GBT's is pushing it for sure. I am bringing the card back into me to double check the numbers so we can be sure.

If it weren't for those high power usage numbers this would be extremely interesting. I'm trying to keep my Seasonic fans from spinning up at all at idle. I don't care about load usage.

Good review, though it shows one thing for me. ATI Overdrive is utterly useless for the level of overclocking you guys want to use. Out of curiosity why do you guys use Overdrive over some of the more advanced OCing utilities out there like RivaTuner?

Good review, though it shows one thing for me. ATI Overdrive is utterly useless for the level of overclocking you guys want to use. Out of curiosity why do you guys use Overdrive over some of the more advanced OCing utilities out there like RivaTuner?
Because they are reviewing the product as it works right out of the box and with tools provided directly by the manufacturer so as to not risk voiding warranties. Great review by the way.

.... I wonder if non-ref designs always stunk in terms of power consumption (vs ref) or is this isolated to the 5850s?

I hope not all non-reference designs will be like this. I always enjoy seeing manufacturers add their own spin to the products but the power management is a major advantage of the 5000 series. So sure redesigning it with a beefier cool solution and giving it a boost in frequencies is great but if you end up dumping all this energy into your case in the form of heat it is like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

That being said the fact that the Gigabyte R585OC does deal with the extra heat while still being quieter than our reference video card is impressive.

I have one of these cards and my verdict is still out. I RMA'd the card but I am still not 100% sure if the card was the issue.

I have looked and looked for answers to my problems and of my two problems, both point to a bad OC of GPU hardware, the other possibility is bad system ram, but memtest says the ram is good.

I havent OC'd the card, just used the manufacturer stock OC. Which leads me to believe that the manufacturer OC was not stable on my particular card. I couldnt fully rule out any one item but was quickly running out of time on the RMA period. Hopefully the replacement card fixes my issues.

More on my particular problem here:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1521117

FYI - I had the same underclock/overclock limitations as you for a while, however I was able to get more options after a thorough flush of the drivers and reinstall. More on that in my link above.
"The bad news is that Gigabyte hasn’t given us a lot of room to play with. We can’t even manually down clock the GPU because the range is only between 765 and 775. "

Last edited:
This is actually a pleasing card. You need to download the latest version 5 bios and use a program like afterburner to overclock it. The problem is in 2d mode the card doesn't draw down enough on power usage and clock speeds. Even with this 5th bios revision it's still a bit meh. I also get way lower temps than the review which seems odd.

I have mine at rock solid stability and best performance at 925Mhz core and 1200Mhz Memory. There are other people getting way more out of the core, usually around the 970 mark

This thread details the saga from purchase through to the latest bios revision:

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=118727

If these cards use the same fans that are on my Gigabyte 5870 card, then you can expect one thing...

Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!! :rolleyes:

I've had this card for a while, I love it. I clocked it to 935 core/1100 mem with no voltage increase with MSI afterburtner. Just go into the cfg file for MSI afterburner and set "EnableUnofficialOverclocking" or something like that to 1 and you can clock it as high as you want

I also have one of these, was a bit dubious at first but after using it for a few weeks all I can say is, its one damn fine card. Im not able to hear the card in my Gigabyte 3d Aurora chassis and it peaks at 50c load in BFBC2 with 775 1125 clocks. Just annoyed that when I originally installed the card with the f3 bios ATi's CCC let me overclock the core to over 1000MHz if I wanted, now with the latest bios for the card It wont go past 775MHz

I also have one of these, was a bit dubious at first but after using it for a few weeks all I can say is, its one damn fine card. Im not able to hear the card in my Gigabyte 3d Aurora chassis and it peaks at 50c load in BFBC2 with 775 1125 clocks. Just annoyed that when I originally installed the card with the f3 bios ATi's CCC let me overclock the core to over 1000MHz if I wanted, now with the latest bios for the card It wont go past 775MHz

What is the point of creating an Overclockable card and then SEVERELY limiting the ablity to OC it in the bios? That's what I don't get. There is software you can use to get around this, but it should be provided from Gigabyte, not an outside source. JMO.

What is the point of creating an Overclockable card and then SEVERELY limiting the ablity to OC it in the bios? That's what I don't get. There is software you can use to get around this, but it should be provided from Gigabyte, not an outside source. JMO.

I fully agree.

I hate to admit it but I passed up some good deal on Gigabyte lately because of the newegg reviews and some issue somebody mentioned about Bios problems. I love their cooling solutions though.

If these cards use the same fans that are on my Gigabyte 5870 card, then you can expect one thing...

Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!! :rolleyes:

Yeah, some people mention this. It is definitely a tolerance thing. I find the card quiet as a mouse as do others but like yourself some claim this is a loud card.

I just had the 5850 OC for three weeks and ummm... the temps never went over 62c(and that was with kombustor)... something was wrong with the card in this review. I agree the fan is much quieter than stock but mine NEVER once went anywhere near 100% speed. Something was definitely wrong as mine maybe hit 65% or around there and I had mine OC'd to 950/1300 using afterburner. I sold it because I needed money but I for sure am buying another one when funds allow. My only problem is that there is no voltage adjustment chip on board but the thing OC's like a beast anyway and 950/1300 is perfectly acceptable hell almost great

What is the point of creating an Overclockable card and then SEVERELY limiting the ablity to OC it ...
They don't create it overclockable, but overclocked.

Any further overclocking is at the user's discretion and risk.

I won this card in an internet contest last April. So far I've been very satisfied with temps and performance. As others have pointed out, using MSI Afterburner and editing the cfg file opens this card to respectable OCing.

Mine has been relatively silent, even at full load. As to temps, never reaches mid 70s when doing OCCT, in games it barely reach 70 and stay at 60c. Idle power draw is higher in Win 7 than in WinXP.

Very good review, btw.

Last edited:
I bought this card at the end of april and had to return it because of the noise - it was not possible to set the fan to lower speed than 55%, so it was constantly spinning at over 2.5k RPM and was loud. Since [H] is reporting it to be quieter than reference, perhaps Gigabyte fixed it with a bios update.

Last edited:
Ok, I previously said my verdict was out on this card due to system and game problems I was having.

I received my new card following the RMA process, and all the BFBC2 crashes have stopped. As a side note, the previous card I had would idle the fan at 55%, this new card idles at 40% with temps at about 30-32C. It also allows underclocking down to 500 mhz, but is capped at 775 (only 10 more than stock OC). The BIOS that came with it had a 5-17-2010 date, but I dont recall what the revision number was.

It seems like there are lots of potential versions of the card out there, the new one is very quiet and I am loving it so far.

The latest version (F5) is dated May 6, 2010. How were you able to get the BIOS info?

The latest version (F5) is dated May 6, 2010. How were you able to get the BIOS info?

I am not home right now, but I believe I looked in the hardware information tab in the CCC which gives the BIOS revision and other info. I'll double check the date as well this evening. (Maybe the date is when the card was flashed and not necessarily the BIOS date, not sure at the moment.)

I'm very surprised this card has no heatsinks on the ram.

Kyle or Brent, any comment on this? Or did I miss reading about it in the review? Would this have something to do with why you could get some core overclock but little on the memory resulting in little gameplay improvement?

Last edited:
looking forward to your update, rbarr110!

OK...here is what CCC info tab says:

BIOS Version: 012.019.000.007
BIOS Part: 113-C00802-003
BIOS Date: 5/17/2010

ATI Overdrive Settings

GPU Clock Range: 550-775
Memory Clock Range: 500-1125

Fan Idles 40%, Temps are 36 C at the moment.

Thanks, rbarr!

My F5-flashed card shows this info.

cata.jpg

Shouldn't this show the F5 BIOS date, May 6?

Back