GIGABYTE Unveils MU71-SU0 and MD71-HB0 Xeon Motherboards For Professionals

erek

[H]F Junkie
Extremely baller!

"Its feature set includes twelve memory slots, with support for 64 GB RDIMMs and 128 GB LDRIMMs at speeds up to DDR4-2933. As with other C622 and C621 chipsets, this model uses hex channel memory configurations. On the rear panel is a dual-port Intel X557-AT2 10 GbE controller, with a further two Intel Gigabit Ethernet ports, with two USB 3.1 G1 Type-A ports, and a D-sub video output for the ASPEED AST2500 IPMI interface.

Both models feature similar designs with a blue PCB, blue memory slots, and standard non-reinforced PCIe slots. GIGABYTE hasn't shared any pricing or availability as of yet, but it is expected that both the GIGABYTE MD71-HB0 and MU71-SU0 should become part of GIGABYTE's other server offerings."

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15251/gigabyte-unveils-mu71su0-and-md71hb0-for-professionals

While I LOVE all the PCIe slots, I can't help but wish the board used a standard cooler length and not those long 2011 mounting holes. Heatsink options are limited.

standard non-reinforced PCIe slots.

It's a $900+ motherboard and THIS is where they choose to save $0.12?

I am a little bit curious what the target market is like for this. Obviously, it's CPU-heavy compute, probably for running a number of VMs - but I'm still surprised to see that the single CPU version only has three usable PCI slots while the dual CPU version has only four. I mean, unless you're planning to run 7 sound cards or NICs or other extremely niche single slot cards with minimal cooling needs.

Optane memory is like ddr and ssd in one. it's a new type of memory. Fits a DDR4 socket, is persistent like an SSD, so powering off doesn't lose any data. Last time I looked at it (vmworld 2018) it was slower than normal DDR, but much faster than an SSD. Comes in 128GB and 512Gb sticks. The memory can be partitioned around on the fly for use as system RAM and/or disk storage. It can be both at the same time. OS support has been built in since late 2018.

Should make for super fast booting PC's, and very fast program launching.

At the time I saw the presentation, the Intel rep couldn't give me a price...

It's a $900+ motherboard and THIS is where they choose to save $0.12?

I am a little bit curious what the target market is like for this. Obviously, it's CPU-heavy compute, probably for running a number of VMs - but I'm still surprised to see that the single CPU version only has three usable PCI slots while the dual CPU version has only four. I mean, unless you're planning to run 7 sound cards or NICs or other extremely niche single slot cards with minimal cooling needs.
Well to be fair the market of this won't be putting huge ass GPUs in it and more then likely will be a server chassis that cards will be upright.

Optane memory is like ddr and ssd in one. it's a new type of memory. Fits a DDR4 socket, is persistent like an SSD, so powering off doesn't lose any data. Last time I looked at it (vmworld 2018) it was slower than normal DDR, but much faster than an SSD. Comes in 128GB and 512Gb sticks. The memory can be partitioned around on the fly for use as system RAM and/or disk storage. It can be both at the same time. OS support has been built in since late 2018.

Should make for super fast booting PC's, and very fast program launching.

At the time I saw the presentation, the Intel rep couldn't give me a price...
Last I checked it was between $800 and $8000 depending on the memory capacity, I would love to build a VMware server using that and have it host all the virtual desktops, pair it with an NVidia A40 or two.... So much fun to play with that...

Back