Gigabyte X48-DQ6 and 8GB Ram

Grimspoon

Limp Gawd
I wasn't sure if this belongs here, in motherboards or in OS, so I'm going to post here first.

I recently put together a new system, including the motherboard named in the title as well as 8GB of ram. I installed Vista x64 (w/SP1), with only 2GB of ram installed (as well as only 1 vid card).

After the installation, I updated my system through windows updates and added the additional 6GB of ram (as well as the additional vid card).

Now, "System" shows me I have 8GB installed, however "System Information" shows me that despite having 8GB installed, I only have 4GB of total system memory and 6.80 available system memory.

Sys.jpg

How do I fix this?

are you running x86 or x64?

I think x86 has a limit of 4gb in Vista.

I installed the 64 bit version of Vista. When I installed, I made sure only 2GB of ram was in my system, then added the rest afterward.

Looking at all of the X48/X38 motherboards on Newegg, it looks as though they're all capped at 8 GB :-/

Also looked through the manual for my DS4, nothing that looks like it could be the setting to fix this. I assume we have a similar BIOS.

I would suggest updating the BIOS as well, but for my board the newest BIOS is the release BIOS. My only suggestion now is to try what the guys in your other thread said, remove a video card (or two!) and see how much available memory you have then.

Now, "System" shows me I have 8GB installed, however "System Information" shows me that despite having 8GB installed, I only have 4GB of total system memory and 6.80 available system memory.

I dont run Vista but the fact that sysino is reporting 6.8GB of available system memory indicated the operating system knows you have 8 GB installed and is using it. You need to find out the defination of those terms and how vista allocates memory. I do not think you have a problem. Welcome to the wonderful world of Microsoft Operating System memory allocation.

Both my Gigabyte P35 and X48 DQ6 mobos report the same thing and both have 8GB. But I've never looked at the System Information info to tell me I had 8GB of RAM available. More just Task Manager's Performance tab. Could be a bug in Vista's System Information app?

I'm with BillParrish on this one. I think the 6.8 available is the current amount of RAM that has not been used by the OS already. The "missing" 1.2 is probably being used for caching and the OS in general in which case you do have 6.8GB currently not in use. ;)

-V

I have huge problems with 8GB of RAM on this motherboard. I'm using Corsair TwinX PC6400 CAS4 and my computer can't boot having all four sticks in. I've been on pretty much every forum around and tried every way of tweaking to make it work, but it just won't. Now, I'm looking into buying memory of another brand to hope that it will work better. Anyone that's using 8GB on this motherboard that can recommend a brand that should work?

Also, on another note, my X48-DQ6 cycles the boot sequence each time I start it at least 2-3 times. That is, it speeds the fans up, then shuts down, speeds the fans up, shuts down, speeds the fans up and boot. I'm not sure if this is related to my other issue with not being able to run 4x2GB sticks of Corsair memory, but I'm only running 2x2GB sticks and I think at least that should work without giving me these issues? Any ideas on this?

I have huge problems with 8GB of RAM on this motherboard. I'm using Corsair TwinX PC6400 CAS4 and my computer can't boot having all four sticks in. I've been on pretty much every forum around and tried every way of tweaking to make it work, but it just won't. Now, I'm looking into buying memory of another brand to hope that it will work better. Anyone that's using 8GB on this motherboard that can recommend a brand that should work?

Also, on another note, my X48-DQ6 cycles the boot sequence each time I start it at least 2-3 times. That is, it speeds the fans up, then shuts down, speeds the fans up, shuts down, speeds the fans up and boot. I'm not sure if this is related to my other issue with not being able to run 4x2GB sticks of Corsair memory, but I'm only running 2x2GB sticks and I think at least that should work without giving me these issues? Any ideas on this?

Clear the CMOS and start over, especially if you are overclocked.
The board is telling you there is something it doesn't like.

Clear the CMOS and start over, especially if you are overclocked.
The board is telling you there is something it doesn't like.
Unfortunately I have a bit of a beginner question here. How do I actually clear the CMOS on X48-DQ6? I can't seem to find any onboard switch and in the BIOS I can only see "Save CMOS to BIOS" and "Load CMOS from BIOS". I've tried reloading optimized defaults previously and still had the same issues.

Back