Glass-Bodied iPhone 8 Shatters Repeatedly in Drop Tests

Agreed. That'd be an awesome business for someone to start. Although I imagine all the broken phones would start getting expensive in a hurry.

Why is it glass? Two factors:
1) it can't be metal, because the metal would interfere
2) it can't be plastic, because it's easier to scratch, and because an iPhone is very much a luxury product and can't be seen using such consumer-grade materials.

That leaves either ceramic or glass.
Plastic can be done right where it's not easy to scratch. Besides, what's worse? Scratches on plastic or a shattered glass back?

Plastic can be done right where it's not easy to scratch. Besides, what's worse? Scratches on plastic or a shattered glass back?
Hey, I agree with you--my cheap phone has scratches on the (removable) plastic back cover, and I don't care. I've dropped it a few times, too, and had no issues with the screen. But Apple has an image to uphold, and plastic is just too pedestrian for the price bracket they're occupying.

Agreed. That'd be an awesome business for someone to start. Although I imagine all the broken phones would start getting expensive in a hurry.

Why is it glass? Two factors:
1) it can't be metal, because the metal would interfere
2) it can't be plastic, because it's easier to scratch, and because an iPhone is very much a luxury product and can't be seen using such consumer-grade materials.

That leaves either ceramic or glass.

Metal lowers the efficiency of the wireless charging, but it doesn't stop it.

My Moto watch works with a metal back and gives me a full days charge in 30 minutes.

Like I said they had the options of brass or aluminum core around the charging area. But that would make too much sense

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, I agree with you--my cheap phone has scratches on the (removable) plastic back cover, and I don't care. I've dropped it a few times, too, and had no issues with the screen. But Apple has an image to uphold, and plastic is just too pedestrian for the price bracket they're occupying.
What happened to carbon fibre?

Of course the glass on the Iphone 8 breaks, it is glass. The only good thing about this glass, and other Gorilla Glass is that it is scratch resistant. It is not shatter resistant. Plastic on the other hand scratches if you look at it funny but can tolerate more drops before cracking.

You can either have hard and brittle (scratch resistant) or soft and maliable (scratches) Choose one.

wireless charing is just a coil inside for induction. It works with thick ass metal even, let alone plastic ... and LMFAO ... "glass"

This is a blantant BS and slimy schemey way to fleece apple tards even further. wow .........

i remember reading somewhere that the reason why the new iphone has a smaller battery than the iphone 7 was because they needed to make room for the induction coil. sigh, maybe one day Apple will realize people prioritize battery life probably the most and make there phone a mm or 2 thicker but im not holding my breathe

I get that a case isn't as attractive, but come on, you can take it off when you need to be fancy or whatever. I dropped my s8+ out of the ambulance the other day and it went flying across the road. It's fine.

i agree with plastic edge phones tend to last far longer than glass edge phones (S5 is classic example of it Plastic phone that surprisingly quite hard to smash unless you drop it face down with a stone under it)

i wish motorola would make there RAZR MAXX phones again as the last one they made was very good just it got old lol ,, that battery was lasting me 2 days very easy or 10 hours flat out even after 4 years(with that phone it used a higher voltage battery and it seemed to work very well),

normal phones last about 2-3 hours of constant use (need to charge the phone 1-2 times a day), the larger iphone Plus and samsung edge and note tend to be good for a day or more then 4-5 hours use due to larger battery and norm don't need topping up by end of the day (be nice if 4000mAh was at least the standard for high end phones or At least Sell a version that has the option and is not Gimped LG made one that had Power in its name but was not very good phone)

Lenovo P2 has me interested (after just googleing LG power lol)

Last edited:
"While wireless charging is kind of a neat gimmick" why is it a gimmick
The way I've heard it, whether you're using wireless charging or not, your phone needs to be in a specific location. So either it's on the charging mat on your night stand, or it's plugged into a charger...on the same night stand.

The way I've heard it, whether you're using wireless charging or not, your phone needs to be in a specific location. So either it's on the charging mat on your night stand, or it's plugged into a charger...on the same night stand.

It’s a convenience feature. It’s easier to put the phone somewhere then to put it somewhere and have to plug it in.

The convenience of wireless charging is kind of difficult to convey to people who haven't experienced it, especially since most are super close-minded to it for completely irrational reasons (e.g. the iPhone hasn't had it for years therefore it's useless).

It's like trying to convince someone using Microsoft keyboards their whole lives that mechanical keyboards are really nice to use. Or wireless mice are nice to use. Or a bluetooth headset is nice to use (over regular earphones on your phone).

That's something that Google also didn't get: no one gave a shit that Qi charged more slowly than USB-C. The convenience outweighed it immensely. I just place my phone at my desk, or my nightstand, or even in my car (I have a magnetic dock with Qi; it has no latches or cables dangling, it is really awesome); I bought a bunch of cheapo generic chargers (and one pricey car dock). I haven't even thought about fiddling with a cable and the phone charges whether I was thinking to or not.

The convenience of wireless charging is kind of difficult to convey to people who haven't experienced it, especially since most are super close-minded to it for completely irrational reasons (e.g. the iPhone hasn't had it for years therefore it's useless).

It's like trying to convince someone using Microsoft keyboards their whole lives that mechanical keyboards are really nice to use. Or wireless mice are nice to use. Or a bluetooth headset is nice to use (over regular earphones on your phone).

That's something that Google also didn't get: no one gave a shit that Qi charged more slowly than USB-C. The convenience outweighed it immensely. I just place my phone at my desk, or my nightstand, or even in my car (I have a magnetic dock with Qi; it has no latches or cables dangling, it is really awesome); I bought a bunch of cheapo generic chargers (and one pricey car dock). I haven't even thought about fiddling with a cable and the phone charges whether I was thinking to or not.

Yup wireless charging sounds super convenient, saves people having to go to the massive trouble of plugging 1 cable in. Meanwhile since the phone is wireless charging, you cant pick it up to use it again. Well if you can if you want to shorten the batteries life even more.

Reactions: Meeho
like this
car dock is the only place i would not use it as it can't deliver enough power when navigating + when phone gets too hot at same time navigating the QI chip detects this and stops delivering power for a Very short time and starts back up again (does that repeatingly very annoying as you get phone notification every time it starts delivering power) all other places like at desk i do use it as i am not using the phone so it can sit there happy

Back