GM Preview

xphantg0d

Gawd
I am new to Hardforum and was not here back when general mayhem was free. What exactly is in it? Is there a way you can offer a free preview or something for like a couple of days so people like me can see what it is all about before we decide whether or not to pay?

Content: Off-topic discussion, name-calling, and 2000 subs trying to make each other feel old.
Examples:
Mock elation for Google being down for him (that is, mock a user. Not fake happiness)
Reading programming manuals on the can
While You Were Out for geeks (room cleaning before / after)
And a lot of political rants I tend to avoid.

Preview: See the announcement. It'll happen occasionally.

xphantg0d, I just logged out as admin and logged in under my "registered user" account and I can see the threads/posts in genmay just fine (just can't post or search in there). Are you saying you can't view it now? It's currently open to viewing by registered users, you just have to be logged in, there's no viewing for guests.

Lethal said:
I just logged out as admin and logged in under my "registered user" account
Dammit, I was about to call you on two accounts until I saw "unless authorized by admin" in that rule :D

lomn75 said:
Dammit, I was about to call you on two accounts until I saw "unless authorized by admin" in that rule :D
Did you really think you were going to catch an admin violating the rules? ;)

lomn75 said:
Yeah, I "authorized" myself. :)

Frankly, I've never posted under that secondary nick. I created it to test the registration/confirmation process when those things weren't working properly under the old system. Now I use it to be able to test/verify what's happening for a normal "registered user" whose permissions are set below those I get as an admin. So yes, it does have a legit use and is justified. ;)

Lethal said:
YNow I use it to be able to test/verify what's happening for a normal "registered user" whose permissions are set below those I get as an admin.
Sure, I do the same thing with my stuff. I just thought I'd have a chance to do the "OMG Lethal's not a man!" posts one better.

I can see inside general mayhem but the soapbox amd wlwc come up as "There are no posts in this forum. "

xphantg0d said:
I can see inside general mayhem but the soapbox amd wlwc come up as "There are no posts in this forum. "
Yes they do. Maybe you should buy a subscription. :D

lorcani said:
Yes they do. Maybe you should buy a subscription. :D
If you notice the purpose of the thread was I dont know if i should and lethal said he can see the forums as a normal user but i cant.

xphantg0d said:
If you notice the purpose of the thread was I dont know if i should and lethal said (s)he can see the forums as a normal user but i cant.
What Lethal meant is that GM itself is open for viewing to everyone but posting only to subs.
the Soapbox and WLWC are sub-only. Presumably, Kyle's "preview day" note means read privileges on those two, but that's just a guess on my part.

/* edit:
Anyway, as to what they are:
WLWC is links to teh funnay. Occasionally some deals get stuck in there instead of being fed to the dogs in Hot Deals.
The Soapbox is for everything rant-related. Mostly political, but other things like "Why won't n00bs search?!?" and "Ask about our Atkins Apartments" end up there, too.

... No, I didn't make that up.
*/

xphantg0d said:
If you notice the purpose of the thread was I dont know if i should and lethal said he can see the forums as a normal user but i cant.
Lethal actually meant that she can see General Mayhem, but not the sub-forums.

If you want to see them, buy a subscription.. It's what, $15? :cool:

$5 bucks for a year or $15 clams for a ride for life :cool:

lorcani said:
Lethal actually meant that she can see General Mayhem, but not the sub-forums.

MajorDomo said:
$5 bucks for a year or $15 clams for a ride for life :cool:
I'd like to think the members I see today are going to be around more than 3 years. :cool:

lorcani said:
Ya but if you have no income you dont just give people money without knowing what your getting. But I think some of the comments here sort of helped me understand what goes on in there. I am still curious about these "preview days"

Back