Going from GeForce 8000 GT SLI to Radeon 5850

Belzebutt

Weaksauce
I'm considering going from my 8800 GT SLI to a single 5850. Should I expect this to be a big speed increase? The main games I'm interested in are things like MW2, Crysis, the new NFS.

I would direct you to Guru3D.com

Those guys do a GPU review thing that shows performance of all the current GPUs in very up to date games, it's very comprehensive.

You will see an improvement in FPS, but also less power needed and less heat. The 8800 GTs are noisy at higher fan speeds and the 5850 isn't.

I would recommend you do a good job of cleaning out the drivers before you swap out the cards.

ATIs driver software does take some getting use to. Take some time to read a guide like the Catalsyt guide on Tweakguides.com.

If you are wanting a great little utility for your 5850 to run fan speeds and Overclock the card, I'd recommend MSI's Afterburner utility. It is simple and very well done.

I can't really complain about fan noise today, as my older 8800 GT is fanless and the other one is actually pretty quiet.

I hunted for some benchmarks but I actually find it pretty difficult to find benchmarks of new cards that stack them against old cards, most sites compare new cards only to the previous generation.

Today I don't really do anything in the nVidia Control Panel so I don't expect to spend a lot of time in the Catalyst setting either. I use my PC as a Media Center and since Windows 7 I can switch displays from monitor to TV simply using the Windows display settings (I actually have a script that does that) so I don't expect to have to do anything different.

Back