Going from Gigabyte 965p-S3 to a P5B Deluxe, hopefully all headaches solved. . .

Spoudazo

Gawd
I will have an emotional breakdown if I write anymore about the headaches this mobo has caused me, or the fact that I installed Windows 5 times (Vista and XP) trying to track down the problem.

By the way, I ran MemTest for 8 hours and not one error, just to make sure it wasn't the RAM before I RMAed the mobo.

So anyway, here's a cut-n-paste of the problem(s) I experienced using it.

I dunno what's wrong.

For a while when I'd exit a game the PC would basically freeze, but I could still move the mouse and hit the button on the tower to initiate the Windows shutdown sequence.

I installed Vista and it didn't really ever do this, but performance was bad (due to no SLI support).

So I reinstalled XP and have tried everything so far it seems.

Now I get random freezing where you'll click on something, and it does nothing for a few seconds, then it burst through and gets it done like normal.

Like I just tried to start a game (Hl2:dm) it it froze for a second, but I could still click on stuff and it'd hightlight stuff, but nothing would execute. Then everything froze.

Also, my sound card driver kept not loading itself, and now, after I changed the resolution, etc. in the Nvidia driver and saved everything and made it as the settings, it diverted back to before I changed the settings in the driver and all of my refresh rate settings I set a few minutes before it froze also defaulted back to normal.

in the BIOS I have tried adding voltage to the RAM, CPU, etc. but still no go.

I also set everything in the BIOS back to normal, and still having issues.

Is it a RAM issue you think, or perhaps could my motherboard be messing up, I have only had it about a month. :( Right now I'm running it at 2.8ghz just to see.

Edit: I also disabled that EIST or whatever it is called (trys to reduce power usage, etc.)

Taking a video right now of the issue, will host it as soon as possible (in the next hour or so).

Edit: Edit:
It never did this stuff in Vista as far as I have seen, so I'm thinking perhaps the chipset driver from Gigabyte is a little fruity or mestup? I downloaded the newewst one from their website, BTW.

Edit: Edit: Edit:
The other night (this was when Vista was installed) I was letting my PC stay on overnight, and when I work up, it had crashed, and when it was restarted, it didn't even finish POSTing, and where it normally says "Memory Running At Dual Channel" it was just froze at "Mem" and hadn't even finished that sentence during POST. :( I rebooted and it still wouldn't post, so I cut power to the PSU, waited a few minutes, tried it again, and THEN it worked fine, but only after I cut power to the PSU, and therefore the whole PC.

This is Windows XP Media Center 2005, BTW.

So the P5b should be here tomorrow or Saturday. :)

you'll be happy. I did the exact same move (mine was a DS3 though) The DS3 just couldn't handle my G.Skill ram correctly (D9) I just bought a P5B-DLX and now my ram is just shy of 1000MHz with 4/4/4/10 timings, and all of this is done with LESS voltage.... Good board.

newls1 said:
you'll be happy. I did the exact same move (mine was a DS3 though) The DS3 just couldn't handle my G.Skill ram correctly (D9) I just bought a P5B-DLX and now my ram is just shy of 1000MHz with 4/4/4/10 timings, and all of this is done with LESS voltage.... Good board.

Thanks for the good news :) :D

Back