Going from Intel to AMD Asus A8N-SLI

kring

Limp Gawd
I wanted to check here for advice on doing an upgrade, my goal here is to keep the OS and not have to format and reload the system... Can you offer some suggestions. Below is my current and new hardware arriving this week. and then my plan of attack to upgrade which is where I'm looking for suggestions.

Intel D875PBZ MBD ---> Asus A8N-SLI
Intel 3.0 P4 HT ---> AMD 3200+ Venice Core
BFG 6800GT OC ---> eVGA n517 7800GT 470/1100
Samsung DDR400 ---> Corsair DDR400 (value)

Upgrade Plan:
* Uninstall Current Nvidia Drivers
* Uninstall Intel MBD/chipset drivers
* Uninstall Riva Tuner
* Reboot
* Install Nforce Drivers 6.70 - no reboot
* Install Forceware 81.95 - no reboot
* Device Mgr- view by connection - remove the PCI Bus, Intel processor, system board
* Power down system
* Swap out hardware & boot
* Let PnP detection take place (hopefully works?)
* Re-activate XP Pro.

Has anyone tried this, or do you have any recomendations or extra steps on doing this. I just have too much on my OS and everything is working great, I really don't want to spend days getting it back to where I like it.

Thanks,

I think it'd be easier to just do a repair install. You won't lose any of your files and you'll have less chance of unknown incompatibility.

You may have serious issues with your existing Windows XP installation when switching from Intel to AMD. If you do, the only way to fix those problems is a complete reformat and reinstall of Windows XP (since the Sysprep tool works only if you're upgrading your current Intel processor and chipset with a faster Intel processor and a later Intel chipset, and will not work if you're switching processor brands).

kirbyrj said:
I think it'd be easier to just do a repair install. You won't lose any of your files and you'll have less chance of unknown incompatibility.

Thanks for the Suggestion, just to clarify, your talking about after the hardware is replaced, booting to the XP cd and choosing repair instead of clean install? Do you know if that will keep all of my programs and games fully functional?

kring said:
Thanks for the Suggestion, just to clarify, your talking about after the hardware is replaced, booting to the XP cd and choosing repair instead of clean install? Do you know if that will keep all of my programs and games fully functional?

You may have to reinstall your programs and games. A repair install only restores Microsoft-default settings, and may wipe out your links and icons to third-party apps/games.

kring said:

Yes, after you replace all your hardware. I've never had a problem with games not working after doing this. Unless the game is optimized for Intel during install, you shouldn't have a problem. It even keeps my icons and all desktop settings after a repair install.

Back