Going strickly apple with new Mac Pro and 24" Apple LED Cinema Display

Hi I'll be going strickly apple very soon :). I plan on getting the new Mac Pro and an Apple 24" Led Cinema Display to go along side it. I have a few questions and concerns. (I'm a bit of a newbie)

My current computer is a Velocity Micro Intel Core 2 Quad processor Q9450; 4GB Corsair DDR2 memory which I plan on replacing with a Mac Pro. I'm running Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit

1.Why would somebody go with the 8 core instead of the quad core computer? the reason I ask is because I'd like to go with the quad core (money wise) but want to make sure it's powerful enough for me. I plan on working with thousands of photos. I always keep around 8 programs open simultaneously.

2. How does the new Mac Pro Quad Core with 6 gigs of memory compare to my current computer?

3. I've currently got a Klipsch 5.1 speaker system which is hooked up to a Sound blaster Audigy Sound Card. I have no plans of replacing my speakers just yet (unless they break) Will my speakers work with the new Mac Pro out of the box? Could I upgrade the Sound Card in a Mac Pro? My speakers have 3 plugs that go into the sound card.

4.Is it easy to install Windows Vista Ultimate using Bootcamp on Leopard? Would somebody like myself be able to do it?

5.The Quad Core Mac Pro comes with 3 gigs of memory be. Is that enough for me? Should I upgrade it to 6 gigs?

6.The new Mac Pro's come with an NVIDIA GeForce GT 120. How does this video card compare to my current NVIDIA EVGA GeForce 9800GTX? is it as powerful?

7. How does the hardrive space work with Windows Vista and Mac OS Leopard? Do you choose how much space to use with each OS? When is this done, when you use bootcamp? Is 1TB of hardrive space recommended if I give 500 gigs to Vista and 500 gigs to Mac OS Leopard? My current computer has 700 gigs of hardrive space and I have 340 gigs of space left.

Any info is greatly appreciated. Stu

Strictly, not strickly. :)

1. For CPU-intensive activities, such as video editing or encoding.

2. The Mac Pro is more powerful, if that's what you're asking. Though whether or not you see any tangible increase in performance is dependent on what you do with the machine.

3. You might have some trouble hooking your speakers up. If the ProMedia 5.1s will function using one optical cable, then you're fine. Otherwise, you may have to look into headphones.

4. Yes. There's even a hand-holding walkthrough on Apple's support section if you really need it, though the only step in the process you might need it for is determining how to format the Windows partition.

5. What are you going to use the Mac Pro for? 3GB is plenty for running OS X and Vista. You'll want more for Photoshop and video editing.

6. The GT 120 is probably a step down from your 9800 GTX. Apple selects video cards based on TDP, average temperature, and hardware video acceleration, not necessarily gaming performance. If you want to play games, upgrade the card. Apple offers a Radeon HD4870 512MB version. I don't know if you can buy a 1GB version, however.

7. Bootcamp will create a separate partition for Windows after asking you how much space you want to allocate. After installing Windows, you don't launch Bootcamp again; you simply start the Mac up and select which OS you want to boot with.

Honestly, it sounds like you want to use the Mac Pro as a gaming system. It's not meant for gaming, it's meant for high-end AV work, thus the Pro (as in professional) name. You would probably be better off buying a gaming PC and a MacBook or MacBook Pro.

Thanks for the reply!, it's greatly appreciated :) I plan on using my computer mostly for Photo editing, music, internet browsing, etc. I have no plans at the moment to use it for gaming. I've got a PS3 for that :).Just curious, are there people who play games on a mac pro? How is the performace? If I future proofed the Mac pro and got a Radeon HD4870 would it be just as good as a gaming computer, what would be the limitations?

I have 2 more questions which I'm still a bit unsure about:

1. Would I be able to to install a Creative sound card in the Mac Pro or are they not compatible? Are there any sound cards that can be installed in a Mac Pro? What other options do I have?

2. In terms of Bootcamp, Can I create a partition for 1 large hardrive or do I need to get a second hardrive?

Again thanks for your help.

On an i7-equipped Mac Pro, the 4870 would be a severe limitation for gaming. Two GTX295s would be a much more appropriate pairing for the i7, but the Mac Pro doesn't support SLI. I don't think you could even plug in a single GTX295: Apple has yet to write drivers for that particular card, IIRC.

And if all you want to do is edit photos, listen to music, and browse the internet, a Mac Pro is frankly a waste of money unless you're doing professional grade photo editing and graphic design. You can likely get away with an iMac or a MacBook Pro.

1. There are external sound cards available for the Mac. Don't know of them offhand, but they're out there.

2. On a single-HDD system, Bootcamp will create a Windows partition by subtracting space from your OS X partition.

On an i7-equipped Mac Pro....

Hate to point it out, I don't like to... But the MacPro uses Xeon processors, not Core i7.

That aside, to the OP...

For your audio needs, I think it would be better for you to use a receiver that uses optical-in, since the MacPro can support 5.1 via optical-out. Furthermore, most of the external audio that I've seen is mainly for professionals, such as multiple balanced audio inputs or phantom power.

Future-proofing to the HD4870 is a good idea, at least if you intend to use power apps.

As to your creative card.... If it is PCI, then no, it will not go in. If it is PCIe, then it would fit in the MacPro's slots, but then you would have to find a driver, which may or may not exist.

But like what a lot of people here are saying, do you need a MacPro? For what you want to do, a Mac Mini fully loaded may be a better option for you. It doesn't have optical out, and I wouldn't know if it supports 5.1.... Maybe there is a 5.1 OSX USB solution.

Hi I'll be going strickly apple very soon :). I plan on getting the new Mac Pro and an Apple 24" Led Cinema Display to go along side it. I have a few questions and concerns. (I'm a bit of a newbie)

My current computer is a Velocity Micro Intel Core 2 Quad processor Q9450; 4GB Corsair DDR2 memory which I plan on replacing with a Mac Pro. I'm running Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit

I'm a relative n00b myself-- I got a used iBook about a year ago, and this past November I got a Macbook Pro (2.5 Ghz, 4GB RAM)-- but I can assure you that you shouldn't run into many problems. Now, granted, I still use my Windows desktop and I have Win 7 64-bit Boot Camped, but I now switch seamlessly between them.

1.Why would somebody go with the 8 core instead of the quad core computer? the reason I ask is because I'd like to go with the quad core (money wise) but want to make sure it's powerful enough for me. I plan on working with thousands of photos. I always keep around 8 programs open simultaneously.

Unless you're using some really high-powered programs you won't see an appreciable difference between the two.

2. How does the new Mac Pro Quad Core with 6 gigs of memory compare to my current computer?

Depending on your current video card, the probability is that there's not much difference between the two.

3. I've currently got a Klipsch 5.1 speaker system which is hooked up to a Sound blaster Audigy Sound Card. I have no plans of replacing my speakers just yet (unless they break) Will my speakers work with the new Mac Pro out of the box? Could I upgrade the Sound Card in a Mac Pro? My speakers have 3 plugs that go into the sound card.

I'm not sure, but I think you should be able to.

4.Is it easy to install Windows Vista Ultimate using Bootcamp on Leopard? Would somebody like myself be able to do it?

As long as you follow the directions-- there are plenty of examples online-- it's simple. The Boot Camp setup is pretty easy to follow.

5.The Quad Core Mac Pro comes with 3 gigs of memory be. Is that enough for me? Should I upgrade it to 6 gigs?

If you want to, sure. It'll definitely use the extra RAM. That's a good thing about OS X and Vista: they'll use the RAM you give them.

6.The new Mac Pro's come with an NVIDIA GeForce GT 120. How does this video card compare to my current NVIDIA EVGA GeForce 9800GTX? is it as powerful?

I'm not sure, but I think it's probably about the same.

7. How does the hardrive space work with Windows Vista and Mac OS Leopard? Do you choose how much space to use with each OS? When is this done, when you use bootcamp? Is 1TB of hardrive space recommended if I give 500 gigs to Vista and 500 gigs to Mac OS Leopard? My current computer has 700 gigs of hardrive space and I have 340 gigs of space left.

Boot camp has a few set percentages of your hard drive it's able to use. I'd suggest using the 50/50 split if you have the hard drive space to merit it, and use a separate (networked or USB) hard drive to store your data on.

Hope that helps.

The GT120 is just a re-labeled 9500GT with 1GB of ram, it is nowhere near the same level as a 9800GTS.

Thanks for the info! I want to go all Apple but I'm not sure which computer that I should get. The reason I chose the Mac Pro was because I assumed it was the best Apple computer but I'm not sure anymore.

So if the Mac pro isn't good for gaming then is it even worth it to configure the Mac and get it with a Radeon 4870? I'm referring to the new Mac Pro's that were just released.

If I get the more powerful video card then will it be just as good as a gaming computer? Why is the Mac Pro worse at gaming then other mac computers?

Do people even game on a Mac? which would be the best mac to game on? I just want the best computer that's future proof that will last me for a good 2-3 years.

I have no plans right now to game on it but I want to make sure that if I wanted to then I would be able to.

All opinions would be very helpful

Hate to point it out, I don't like to... But the MacPro uses Xeon processors, not Core i7.

Well it is a Nehalem Xenon, same new architecture as the core i7, which is probably what he was trying to say. Blame Intel for the confusion imo. In a few years we will all be rocking CoreX Ir GTS Type Rs :p

If I get the more powerful video card then will it be just as good as a gaming computer? Why is the Mac Pro worse at gaming then other mac computers?

Do people even game on a Mac? which would be the best mac to game on? I just want the best computer that's future proof that will last me for a good 2-3 years.

I have no plans right now to game on it but I want to make sure that if I wanted to then I would be able to.

All opinions would be very helpful

The Mac pro isn't bad for any of that, that just isn't what it is intended for. It has a Xenon processor, which is a beast, but it isn't a typical user or gamer processor. It can do that stuff, but it is more often found in servers, AV workstations, etc. Same with the ram, that is ECC ram, not a bad thing to have at all, but it isn't 'needed' in a typical user system, again more for workstation/server.

I use a MacBook Pro that is going on two years old. I love it and use it more than my desktop to be honest. It can handle light gaming just fine. In OS X I play WoW and WC3, and I have an XP bootcamp setup that I use to play TF2, C&C3, and Sins of a Solar Empire. It is no Crysis rig, but it can hold its own in gaming even at the native 1920x1200 (both on the laptop's own display and on my 24" monitor).

Go with whichever you want and you should be happy, just make sure you aren't looking for a Crysis killer rig first.

1) The Mac Pro is the most powerful Apple computer right now.

2-3) It's not that the Mac Pro isn't good for gaming, it's just that if you cheap out and go with the GT120, obviously you won't get much in terms of gaming performance, especially not at 1920x1200. The Mac Pro is also not worse at gaming then other Mac computers. Even with the GT120, it'd be faster than the 9400m in the standard iMacs. The 9600m GT in the MBP would be faster but it's apples to oranges as you're comparing a desktop to a laptop. With the 4870, The Pro would be the fastest Mac to game on since the iMacs only go up to the 4850. Both the 4850 and 4870 outperform the 9600m GT fwiw.

The Mac Pro really wasn't intended to be a gaming pc though, that's not what it was designed for. With the 4870 it can be used for good gaming, but the computer was really targeted more towards the media editing/professional design market and was intended to be part of a workstation not a gaming rig. If you just want gaming, you'd be better off with a Windows desktop since you'll most likely be running your games in Vista/XP through Bootcamp anyway.

4) If you have no plans to game then don't worry about it. If you want a fast Mac desktop, then the Mac Pro is the way to go. If you just want the best computer that will last 2-3 years, it seems a bit silly to me to go with the Mac Pro since the main reason to go with the Mac Pro over a Windows desktop is the OS, and that's not your main concern. The Mac Pro with the Quad Core Nehalem Xeon will obviously be faster than your current pc but that's because you're comparing a Nehalem based computer to a Core 2 based computer, if you compare it to a Nehalem based computer, they would be on par. I like the Mac Pros but for what you're looking for it doesn't seem to be the best investment but your money, so your choice. ;)

Makes sense :). So what Mac would you guys recommend for me? an Imac?

An iMac if you want a full and complete Mac desktop system, a Mac Mini if you intend to get a gaming PC, or a MacBook Pro if you want to go with a laptop. The iMac is probably going to be best for your purposes, it sounds like.

An iMac if you want a full and complete Mac desktop system, a Mac Mini if you intend to get a gaming PC, or a MacBook Pro if you want to go with a laptop. The iMac is probably going to be best for your purposes, it sounds like.

Thanks for the help. My dad owns an Imac which happens to be the reason that I considered switching to Apple. When I'm over his house and play with it, I find it to be awesome. the built in glossy monitor is stunning as well.

Last question, If I get an Imac do you think that I would notice a performace decrease coming from my computer?

Also my speakers don't have an optical connection so would an external sound card be my only option if I want to listen to music through my speakers?

What do receivers cost if I wanted to use it for my speakers? or is it best just to find an external sound card? For Mac owners which sound cards do you use?

I'll be taking a ride down to micro center today to check out the Imac's. Are the new Imac's in stores yet? where's the best place to purchase the Imac from? Again thanks for the help.

The 24" iMac is beautiful and it also has a higher quality panel then the 24" ACD (If they're still using the NEC H-IPS in the new one that is) and with the ATI 4850, you'll be able to play almost any game you want relatively well.

Coming from a Q9450, you'll take a bit of a hit moving to the C2Ds the iMacs use when multitasking but as you said you don't do much that can make use of the Quad you have now, ie simple PS and internet browsing, you shouldn't be looking at too big of a realizable performance difference.

Yes, an external sound card or processor will be needed to make use of all 6 channels, otherwise you'll be stuck with 2 channel. You'll need to find something that can output 6 channels of audio to make your current speakers work. If it were me, I'd just ditch those and avoid the headache but if you want to keep them, that's what you'll have to do.

For what you're looking to do, you want more of a Processor/Pre-amp as you won't be using the speaker outputs. Higher end receivers usually have multi-channel pre-amp outputs but low end receivers usually only output stereo over the RCA outputs; multi-channel will be processed and output to the speaker outputs but not to the pre-amp/line-out outputs. It would be easier to avoid all of this and just find an optical or USB soundcard/processor.

I doubt stores have the new iMacs in already as they were just released yesterday. The only place to get them would be the Apple Store online but I assume the B&M Apple stores will be getting them in soon.

Last question, If I get an Imac do you think that I would notice a performace decrease coming from my computer?

Depends on the activity. I think you'll notice a general improvement in gaming but won't see much of a difference in any other task, like web browsing.

Also my speakers don't have an optical connection so would an external sound card be my only option if I want to listen to music through my speakers?

What do receivers cost if I wanted to use it for my speakers? or is it best just to find an external sound card? For Mac owners which sound cards do you use?

These questions are better suited for the audio forum, but honestly I think you'd be better off with a good set of headphones than keeping your speakers and getting a receiver.

I'll be taking a ride down to micro center today to check out the Imac's. Are the new Imac's in stores yet? where's the best place to purchase the Imac from? Again thanks for the help.

The new iMacs should be in stores, but be sure to double-check, as they JUST came out. Generally Apple supplies its online store and retail stores first, then supplies its partners after filling its own needs. If you have an Apple Store near you, I would go there first, rather than Micro Center.

There are few people that really need or can make use of a Mac Pro, because there are so few applications that can use that many cores.

For where I work, its video rendering in adobe after effects. Video encoding as well might be able to use the cores.... but other than that I can't think of anything joe blow would need a mac pro for with 8 i7 cores.

I don't know about you guys, but this thread is just downright hard to read... So much mis-information its rediculous.

Where to begin....

To be completely honest, from what it sounds like you do, and what I'm gathering of you're experience with computers, you're current rig is MORE then powerful enough for you. In fact it is to powerful. A Mac Pro would be a straight up waste of money.

You would never notice a difference, ever.

YES. You CAN use you're speakers. I don't know why everyone is so confused over this... Mac's have standard 3.5mm TRS jacks just like any other computer. Catch is, there is only a main L/R stereo out on the Mac Pro. That would only allow you to use the main L/R speakers of you're Klipsch setup.

FWIW, those Klipsch's are trash, and if you value sound quality I would get some real speakers.

Get some nice headphones for the time being.

Its pretty damn easy, even a caveman could do it. :D

3GB is perfect fine. If you DO upgrade, do NOT buy it from Apple. Its about 3x more expensive from them, and its exactly the same stuff you get from anywhere else. Don't let anyone tell you different.

You're old 9800GTX shits all over the GT120 (9500GS). OTOH, the Mac Pro has an option for a 4870 512MB, which is recommended as a MUCH better card then the GT120.

All of that is up to you.... I don't know why you would ask us this...

[/quote]

Thanks for the info! I want to go all Apple but I'm not sure which computer that I should get. The reason I chose the Mac Pro was because I assumed it was the best Apple computer but I'm not sure anymore.

It IS the best Apple computer... by a long shot. Just maybe not the best for you.

So if the Mac pro isn't good for gaming then is it even worth it to configure the Mac and get it with a Radeon 4870? I'm referring to the new Mac Pro's that were just released.

At the end of the day, if you really want to game on a Mac, a Mac Pro with a 4870 IS the best Mac to game on... but why on earth would you pay for a Mac just to play games...?

Even with the top end 4870, a Mac Pro isn't as powerful as a non-Apple gaming computer as there is many more GPU options avaiable to non-Apple manufactures. The 4870 is the best card Apple offers, but not nearly the best card out there...

Of course they do, but not as its main purpose. Back when all I had was a Mac I stayed in OS X 90% of the time, then booted Vista just to game.

Well you can.

Bottom line. The top of the range 3.0GHz 24" iMac that was just released is a MUCH better deal for you.

From what it sounds like, you don't need a Mac Pro for what you do. As I said before, even you're current machine is more then powerful enough.

YES. You CAN use you're speakers. I don't know why everyone is so confused over this... Mac's have standard 3.5mm TRS jacks just like any other computer. Catch is, there is only a main L/R stereo out on the Mac Pro. That would only allow you to use the main L/R speakers of you're Klipsch setup.

Uhh that's exactly the point everyone is making. There's one TRS jack which will only let him operate his 5.1 set in 2 channel mode...which completely defeats the purpose of a 5.1 set. As I said earlier, I'd rather just ditch the Klipschs as they aren't worth the hassle but he has stated that he does not want to replace them until they break.

The 24" imac is gorgeous. The H-IPS panel is to die for.

The previous generation 24" had an H-IPS, no one is sure what the current generation has yet. Although it is NOT the same. Numerous reports on this all over the web, and this site.

There are few people that really need or can make use of a Mac Pro, because there are so few applications that can use that many cores.

As someone who's with a person who could make use of the hardware in a Mac Pro but isn't willing to pay the premium for the hardware (not with Apple, HP, or anyone else), I have to agree totally. The eight cores, the slick mainboard layout, and other stuff with the hardware make it a sweet piece of engineering, and more computer than the desktop user-- even a gamer-- is going to wind up using.

That isn't to say I wouldn't want one could we afford it here at home, but my better half could make much more use of it and even she doesn't want to budget one in yet (which is fine since the MBP is plenty shiny enough for me). Of course, there isn't much gaming that goes on in this house, so it's not really much of a concern.

Thanks guys for helping me decide what to get. I purchased the new 3.06 ghz iMac yesterday :). Apparently the store only got in one new iMac. It was the only one in the whole store.

The rest of them were the older iMac's. I guess it was going to be displayed in the store. I plan on purchasing new speakers as well. I'll be getting the Audioengine A5 to compliment the iMac.

I haven't hooked up the iMac just yet, I still have to back up the rest of my data. I'll be hooking up the computer later today, I'll let you know how it goes.

Back