Going To Be Special Guest On A PC Modding Podcast - Post Your Questions!

Petra

Gawd
Hey guys, I know that most of you probably haven't heard from me in a while... but I'm still around. On the plus side, it has been long enough to where I don't have to worry so much about pissing people off by talking about stuff :p

Anyway, I'm going to be the special guest on an episode of The Mod Zoo podcast, with MNPC Tech's Bill Owen, that's scheduled for recording on Sunday 1/13/13 (sorry, this one likely isn't going to be streamed). We're probably going to spend some time talking about the history of PTS (prior to its sale), water cooling, the enthusiast industry in general, and whatever else comes up (I've got all sorts of I could talk about). But to make things even more interesting for you guys, I'd like you to post any questions that you would like me to answer during the recording of the show (could be about me, PTS, water cooling, modding, why Gabe and I always seem like we're arguing with each other, the most ridiculous mispronunciation of Quoc's name, whatever). Also feel free to toss in questions for Bill and the others if you happen to have any.

So, yeah, post whatever you'd like to know and I'll pass a link to this thread along to the hosts so that they can go through it and pick stuff. :D

Mods: Feel free to do whatever with this thread--I'm slowly starting to get back into things again and just wanted to let the old-timers know what's up so that they can participate if they want.

I'm kinda surprised that nobody here was interested in asking anything... I mean, I know that the water cooling section has slowed down, but really?

Anyway, the edited version of the podcast was posted this morning and can be found here (for those of you who are interested): http://themodzoo.com/podcast/The Mod Zoo - Ep9.mp3

We ended up recording for a little over two hours, which meant that they had a lot of editing to do to cut the thing down to a more sane length and we still didn't get to a lot of the questions that I received elsewhere. Also, in retrospect, I realize that I mentioned Swiftech a lot... which was totally unintentional--probably happened because I was discussing their CES press release a little while before recording the podcast.

Last edited:
I didn't even see the thread for some reason...until now...:confused:

Eh, don't worry about to too much... I'm going to be recording a followup video (or maybe just audio, not sure) answering all of the questions that didn't make it onto the podcast.

Eh, don't worry about to too much... I'm going to be recording a followup video (or maybe just audio, not sure) answering all of the questions that didn't make it onto the podcast.

Are you the guy who made the "gel-stuff"? If so, why is it so fun to play with?

(I use it on the pump, it makes it pretty much silent, though it needs to be more sold in Europe so I don't have to import it! [if it is...more sold!]) :D

Are you the guy who made the "gel-stuff"? If so, why is it so fun to play with?
I didn't so much make it as find it. I was going through a bunch of materials information documents looking for something that would work well to isolate pumps and I happened across an interesting seeming thermoplastic elastomer gel. I ordered some from a supplier, tried it out, it worked great, and that's pretty much how Gel-Stuff came to be.

...and, yeah, it's really fun to play with... especially the 1"x24" scraps that we'd occasionally have left over after cutting the large sheets. :D

petra? As in petra's tech shop? PTS got sold?
Yes, yes, and yes (about three years ago).

Maybe I need to spend more time in here... Didn't see the original post. Damn. Gonna give the podcast a listen tonight, though. Should be good.

Also, you sold your shop? ;) :)D I'm a smartass, sorry).

Hey guys, I know that most of you probably haven't heard from me in a while... but I'm still around. On the plus side, it has been long enough to where I don't have to worry so much about pissing people off by talking about stuff :p

Petra! Great to see you are back around brother!!!! I still have found memories of the awesome deal you hooked me up with (DangerDen pump and EK barrel reservoir for peanuts!!)...That was my first custom loop..

You sold your shop?

The fine folks that own Sidewinder Computers purchased it and moved from Cali to Petra's hood..(Indiana IIRC)

The fine folks that own Sidewinder Computers purchased it and moved from Cali to Petra's hood..(Indiana IIRC)

Yeah, Sidewinder is located in Indiana and that's where they moved all of the PTS operations/stuff to after the ownership hand-off. I, on the other hand, am still in California and don't actually have anything to do with PTS anymore.

*edit* Should be shooting the Q/A video followup this week.

cool stuff
My Qs: will watercooling die if hardware vendors select efficient parts that require very little cooling?

Seen any pumps more durable than the D5 for the same price?

What is your take on the out of box ready CPU cooling, is this harming the custom cooling scene, and will liquid cooling parts manufacturers make their own versions of this type of product?

Back