Going to water, estimated temp drops?

adrift02

Limp Gawd
From what I am reading, quite a few people are hitting my temps on water which makes me wonder what I will be seeing on air. With my e6600 at 3.4 (1gig OC) 1.537v I am staying under 60c in coretemp, and about 46c max load in speedfan (dual prime orthos). For comparison, my HDD and cpu idles at 24-25c in speedfan with my m obo around 34-35c. I guess I am wondering how cool water would keep it. It seems that keeping my coretemp under 60c at such high voltages is about all you could ask for but I still want to try water. It is more of a fun project then anything else, but if I get hardly any temp improvements I dont know if I can justify the expense.

Air setup: si-120 (110cfm max silverstone fan), yate loon right next to it (for memory), one 120 back exaust, one 80 top exaust, one 120 front intake, one 120 side intake.

Water setup: The best components I can get (top products), to run a cpu, gpu, chipset loop with a dual 120 rad.

At 24C ambient, my 6600 @ 3.8ghz 1.65v idles at 31, load is 39 on average. The actual temps are probably not accurate at all, but the delta is nice.

Advice: Don't go WC just for the sake of having WC. If what you have isn't broken, don't fix it.

Heh I know, but I like doing hardware type stuff (mods) so I almost cant resist. Having a large drop in temps is a good excuse and if I hit 40c max load at those volts I would be way happy.

e6300 from 3150 to 3250 air versus water
air idle 40c load 57c 3150 1.34v
water idle 25c load 40c 3250 1.36v
made a hude difference for me cooling vid card and chipset too.. vid card went from 47 to 35 would probably be cooler but its after the nb and on my ds3 the nb runs hot... very happy with my results and gained an extra 100 out of it too.. maybe not worth the $100 i had to spend on the blocks but i love the silence water has to offer...

with a good 2 x 120 rad I would guess your temps would drop 10C.

HOWEVER
e6600 @3.4/5.37v

heat is not your problem you are at a voltage ( I am assuming that is susposed to be 1.537V) where the electrical stress on the transistors is more likely to be a problem. IMO you are killing your processor and I would use water cooling to obtain the same overclock at a lower voltage.

BillParrish said:
with a good 2 x 120 rad I would guess your temps would drop 10C.

HOWEVER

heat is not your problem you are at a voltage ( I am assuming that is susposed to be 1.537V) where the electrical stress on the transistors is more likely to be a problem. IMO you are killing your processor and I would use water cooling to obtain the same overclock at a lower voltage.
Watercooling allows you to use less voltage to be stable at the same speed. First of all, there's no way Speedfan is correct, 24-25C idle is too low. CoreTemp seems more accurate here. As for water temps, if you have a good setup, then your change between idle/load (delta) will become much smaller. At 1.5v with my high-end water, at 30C ambient, my idle/load was 36C/42C.

Also, asking what people are getting with water is like asking what people are getting with air. There are so many ways you can watercool, that everyone's parts aren't the same. Some could be using a shitty bigwater kit and have horrible temps, but sadly say they are using water. Others can have mid-range or high-end and still have water.

thunderstruck! said:
Watercooling allows you to use less voltage to be stable at the same speed. First of all, there's no way Speedfan is correct, 24-25C idle is too low. CoreTemp seems more accurate here. As for water temps, if you have a good setup, then your change between idle/load (delta) will become much smaller. At 1.5v with my high-end water, at 30C ambient, my idle/load was 36C/42C.

Also, asking what people are getting with water is like asking what people are getting with air. There are so many ways you can watercool, that everyone's parts aren't the same. Some could be using a shitty bigwater kit and have horrible temps, but sadly say they are using water. Others can have mid-range or high-end and still have water.

Awesome post, this is soo true. I have 3 heatsinks for air cooling. They are ALL different temp wise. I have the TT Typhhon, Scythe Infinity,and the Tuniq Tower120.

If you go by reivews you will see the Tuniq is Top Dawg. I tried my tuniq and the other 2 and seen minor diff in temps on a E6400. Now i buy a new E6600 and the temps were deff diffrent. SO their are soo many variables it is crazy.

Here's a copy \ paste from another thread... You can see the original thread here: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1030079632#post1030079632

Ok, here's a couple of shots of the koolance cpu block installed. I'm seeing great temps even overclocked... One thing I like a lot about the Koolance setup is they provide an all in one temp monitoring and fan control system. I typically run it at 5 - 6 on a day to day basis and only raise it to level 10 when I'm working on a high overclock. I'll give you temps for both.

ambient temps are 74f.

Fans at level 6 = 60% of rated power
e6400 @ 3040 mhz, 1.4v
Idle temp: 31c
Idle loop temp: 27c
Load temp: 38c
Load loop temp: 29c

Fans at level 100 = 100% of rated power
e6400 @ 3040 mhz, 1.4v
Idle temp: 29c
Idle loop temp: 26c
Load temp: 37c
Load loop temp: 28c

and here's the photos... The first one is the best since it lets you see what the board looks like with its lighting. No flash.

Back