Going with an FX 4100 to replace a Phenom 1 9950BE

thomasward00

Limp Gawd
I love the fact that it is 95W as opposed to 125W and it seems to be a modelst upgrade to my old processor.

It also seems to be faster in 50% of benchmarks against the i3, which the FX is a bit cheaper....

Can anyone recommend a decent Micro ATX MB to go along with this quad?

From what I've seen that FX 4100 is a step down from even a 955 BE...

Yeah those are bad results. Thomas if you really want to stick with AMD I would either grab a 955 BE or if you want to stretch your budget grab a one of the x6s. To top if off you can drop it in your current mobo. That is a win win situation right there.

Someone on the AMD Processors or another computer forum stated it perfectly: Each module is technically a core with hardware Hyperthreading, which is why they're not a true CPU core in the traditional sense.

If one puts it that way, then the FX series looks more like this:

FX 4100
Dual "module" processor with "hardware hyperthreading"​
FX 6100
Triple "module" processor with "hardware hyperthreading"​
FX 8120/8150
Quad "module" processor with "hardware hyperthreading"​
It's starting to make sense when one sees it in that perspective.

Therefore, it wouldn't be surprisng that an FX 4100 performs poorly against a 955 BE but will probably be more comparable against a lower end i3 or i5 that is dual core with Hyperthreading. And, it'd be also a good comparison against a Phenom II X2 500-series CPU. However, an FX 4100 performing poorly against a 955 BE-- 4 threads versus 4 true cores-- should have seen at LEAST equivalent performance.

So, when you compare an FX 6100, it should be compared against a triple core Phenom II X3 or Athlon II X3, but not the Thuban X6. Then again, one would expect it to perform as good as the X6 because it has six total threads.

The FX 8120 and 8150 should be better compared against a quad core Phenom II X4 or Athlon II X4 instead of a Thuban X6. But, seeing that CPU perform poorly or decently with 8 threads compared to 6 true cores really shows obvious problems there.

This thread just devastated all hope I had for the 4100. Sigh. I think my next build truly will be Intel.

Modest upgrade from a Phenom1 x4?

Anything is a huge upgrade from it!

Your current build, DOOMHAMMA, is nearly identical to my previous build that I just retired. Same processor, board, though I had 8GB of 1333 Patriot RAM and my GTX 470. What I can safely say is that this 2600K blows my old 965 out of the water. I really wanted BD but I don't buy based on what could have been or could be and buy based on what is.

And, yeah, the 4100 is really only a realistic step up from either an Athlon X2 or older, whether Phenom II based or, a much better upgrade from an A64. At the same time though, for similar money you can have a better system from Intel or AMD with an i3 or one of the old Phenom/Athlon quads. The 965 is still a really good chip and can be had for pretty cheap last I saw.

I think the FX4100 is an upgrade for any AMD dual core, but not a gigantic leap. Considering they are $129, your MUCH better off getting an AMD 955 BE C3 for $105 or so... if you can afford i5-2500k then this your best bet for gaming.

first gen phenoms suck massively.

Do yourself a favor, since you already got a little screwed by AMD with the first gen phenom, stay away from this generation of bulldozer. Otherwise they will have done the same thing to you twice, and you may not even be aware they did it.

I would purchase the 955BE . It is better than what you have now and is not that much at all. The Phenom I series sucked and was riddled with the bug . A 955BE is a good chip and you should see the difference.

There would be decent performance improvement compared to 9950BE, especially power efficiency with better power gating. The only problem with AM3+ is looking for a decent mATX board (ASRock 890GM Pro3 R2.0 seems okay, but no review utilising AMD FX),

if you prefer mATX, might be best to go with Phenom II or Core i5.

The FX 4 core would get thumped even by my 840 quad core and that costs less :)
If you're going AMD you buy:
A sempron if you are broke and can unlock it
Athlon II x2/3 depending on price and needs
PhII 840 if you don't care about lv 3 cache and def need a 4 core CPU
PhII x4 955 if you need the lv 3 cache
PhII x6 1090T if you want 6 cores

Those are the most logical AMD buys right now.
I really don't see FX as that appealing unless they get a hefty price cut

For me even the 6 core FX isn't a great deal it costs more than the 1090T and it's performance is worse. The older one is a better buy

Back