Going WS. Want some advice.

MX-5 Dave

Gawd
So I have been using the Viewsonic 19" forever, I like it a lot, but its max resolution is 1280x1024. Thats decent, but I want to go higher. I have already decided that I would miss the extra height if I went with a 20ws, and I cant afford a 24" ws, so I think I will be going 22" ws.

How much larger is this going to seem to me?

Will my machine be able to push the higher resolution of a 22" ws? I am eventually going to do an 8800GTS 640, but for now I will be on my current setup.

Here are the important specs.
A64 4000+ (2.4, 1mb L2)
2 7800GTs in SLI
2gb ram

Well, 22" monitors have the same resolution as 20" monitors, so i think your system will be able to handle it- especially if you're upgrading your GPU soon.

No offense, but I'm halfway tempted to call you out for trolling. Of course dual 7800 GT's in SLI with a 4000+A64 and 2 gigs of RAM can support a 22 inch LCD. That would be like me asking if a core 2 duo E6600 with 3 gigs of RAM and an 8800 can play WoW...

:rolleyes: So it will definately run BF2, company of heros, WoW and DoD source, with all of the eye candy turned all the way up?
Because thats what I can do with my current 19 non widescreen, and I want to make sure that I am not going to be forced to cough up the money for another 8800, a new case (the 7800s JUST fit, if the 8800 is even 3-5mm longer, its a no-go) and a new powersupply, just to run my games the way I like them.

If an 8800GTS, which is faster than my 7800s in SLI, can barely run Oblivion at that resolution with everything cranked, I dont see how you can act like its a no brainer that my 7800s will be able to handle everything. I dont play Oblivion, so thats not a concern, but its higher resolution than I play at now, and I need to know if I should rearange my budget to pick up the 8800GTS at the same time as the monitor (which I really cant afford to do right now, but I can swing it if I ABSOLUTELY have to)

im owning two 20.1" with a single 7800gt (not oced). pretty much the same specs you have.

dsc00874fc0.jpg

I get great framerates in games, I wouldnt worry at all about resolutions.

edit - BTW oblivion owns our CPU, not our GPU.

I dont have a 20" :confused:

I wasn't saying that you did. I was only noting that if you were considering getting a 22" over a 20", but sceptical about the larger resolution; however, they have the same resolution.

What kind of frame rates are you getting on games at the moment with your 19" monitor?

same situation with Op here. currently VX924 and wants to go WS, dont want to spend 700us(price of it where i live) for 2407wfp. been waiting for 24" prices to drop but their price dropped only 60ish us in 2 years.

for what i know all 22" uses TN panels, which arent very good in picture quality compare to S-ips/S-pva, thus the low price. 22" or lower LCDs can play 1080p, but not in 1080p quality, requires at least 1920x1080. something one should consider if he/she is planning on watching Blu-ray/HDDvDs with it in the future.

Back