Gold/silver connector makes a big difference?

vamp

Limp Gawd
Is there really a huge difference in sound quality between gold and "silver" connectors? If a lot of Sennheisers use silver connectors, than it can't be that bad right? Sure gold looks more expensive I guess, but that might just be Sony's marketing goal in attempts to distinguish itself...The first time I remember seeing gold audio connectors being referred to as being superior in sound etc. was on a Sony earphone package. So naturally I'm a little skeptical of gold connectors now.

you will not hear any difference between the two. if you can you have better ears than most test equipment.

gold is more of an anti-corrosion trick, nothing more.

Silver is sometimes used since it's oxidated form is still conductive, but gold plating is the better choice.

As far as hearing it, fat chance There really is no audible difference, and those who say there is to this date have not provided any kind of scientific data to back this up.

Gold makes a good contact point because it doesn't corrode. In terms of conductivity, it is far from the best, but not bad. Silver, on the other hand, is a great conductor but tarnishes easily. It's used in high-end interconnects, but hidden under insulation to avoid corrosion. You certainly wouldn't see silver-plated connectors unless someone was trying to take you for a ride. What you're probably seeing is nickel plated connectors, which are good. Cadmium makes another good plating material.

The sennheiser connectors arn't silver, but nickel. Still you won't be able to hear the diffrence between the platting. For the most part gold for audio applications is put there for the wow factor. Look how the consumer level Audigy cards have gold jacks where the higher end EMU cards have nickel platted jacks.

As a conductor gold is better than nickel or tin (look how all ram modules and pci cards you buy will have gold platted contacts), but for audio applications it won't make a diffrence unless you are spending $20,000+ on your equipment, and even then IMO it is doubtful if you could hear a diffrence. If you absolutly feel you need to have gold connectors on your equipment, then why not go all the way and use gold wires? Handmade Electronics sells the wire for only $37.95 per foot.:D

Back