Good backlit keyboard?

somename

Gawd
I have G15 which got me hooked on backlit keys. But the problem is The thing is little too big. The keys are bit too mushy for me as well. I don't really don't know of too many other backlit keyboards other than Razer stuff, but I think I just want a somple keyboard without too many extra functions. Oh and I definitely want corded keyboards.

I was just going through this search myself and was recommended the Saitek Eclipse 2, I haven't gotten mine yet, but from all the recommendations and the positive reviews I've read, I think it might be the best of what's around right now. YMMV :)

+1 for the Saitek Eclipse 2. I own one and love it. It will soon be replaced by the Saitek Cyborg keyboard it looks to be friggin awsome.

Another +1 for the Saitek Eclipse 2

I just looked at the Cyborg... looks interesting but doesnt mention if that huge wrist rest is removable, because I dont like anything with rests since it makes it uncomfortable for finger placement when playing games. I do like the fact though that it retains the colors after a reboot compared to how the Eclipse 2 ya have to redo it all the time... Ill have to look around or email them and ask.

+1 for saitek eclipse II lol

very nice keyboard is all I can say

although you can get the original for $15 cheaper I like how II has 2 more color options

Another +1 for the Saitek Eclipse 2

I just looked at the Cyborg... looks interesting but doesnt mention if that huge wrist rest is removable, because I dont like anything with rests since it makes it uncomfortable for finger placement when playing games. I do like the fact though that it retains the colors after a reboot compared to how the Eclipse 2 ya have to redo it all the time... Ill have to look around or email them and ask.

+1 for the Saitek Eclipse 2...Yes the wristpad is removable.

I had the first saitek eclipse and the original g15, I have to say I loved the saitek over the G15. I really had no use for the LCD screen anyways, and the buttons were 10x louder compared to the saitek for me. If the saitek II performs the same as the 1st one I would highly recommend it to :).

Geez, after reading your thread I'd NEVER buy a Deck keyboard!!! Sorry you had such an awful experience with them.

If the saitek II performs the same as the 1st one I would highly recommend it to :).

The Saitek II is as good as the Saitek I ... only problem I had with the Saitek I is the darn thing went wacky on me after about 6 - 8 months of use. Half the keys ya pressed started typing characters other then what it should have. From what I understand that issue has been resolved in the Saitek II and have used it now for 4 months and love it.

I had an eclipse 1 for about 2 years before it fell victim to a beverage accident, and I was torn between the Logitech G11 and the Eclipse 2. I went with the Eclipse 2, and I'm thrilled. It looks MUCH better than the Eclipse 1, the keys feel very nice, the underglow is a neat effect, and it has the media keys the first one was lacking. I'd say go for the Eclipse 2, you probably won't be disappointed. Just beware that the "purple" is more pink, but it is pretty easy on the eyes at night compared to the blue, and especially compared to the red. I still use it in blue almost all the time though.

I had an original eclipse I. I loved the functionality of the keyboard, but I hated the fact that the paint on the keys would start to wear off. Especially from playing FPS games. This kind of kept me away from the Eclipse II, but from the sounds of it, it's a nice keyboard.

Right now I own a Razer Lycosa, and I am very happy with it. I like that there is no light bleeding from the edges of the keys, the only thing that lights up is the character in the middle of each key. There is an ability to turn all the lights off but the WASD keys, albeit kind of kewl I don't find it of much use. The touch pad controls are nice, it's nice to type on. It's got the feel of a laptop. The keys aren't super bright so in the middle of the day it can be hard to find the particular key you are looking for, but if you can type without looking at your keys then you have bigger problems =P. On thing is the the lycosa shows fingerprints and dust very easily. So if you aren't a neat freak you keybaord looks dirty pretty quick.

I would recomend the Lycosa over the Eclipse I, but I can't say about the Eclipse II since I have never owned one.

Not sure how much I like the look of the Cyborg. Looks kinda funky to me. I like the sleek black look I guess.

I have two original Saitek and two Saitek II keyboards and the Saitek II has major improvements to lighting, keystroke response, and the keyboard feet. The Saitek was a good keyboard but its successor is vastly better IMO. I would reccomend a Saitek II to anyone that wants a backlit keyboard.

Well I read the thread about the guy who had a problem with the Deck keyboard and Im sorry that he had the problem.

I have had the full size Deck keyboard for a couple of years now and love it. I tried the Saitek but it does not even compare.

I just recently bought the Deck compact keyboard for a 2nd one and so far Im very happy with it.

One of the problems I found with both the Saitek Eclipse and the Eclipse II is that under certain lighting conditions the keypad has a glare that makes it impoosible to see the letters on the keys. I think it it because they use a shiny finish on the keys.

I'd suggest the Logitech G11..

I went through two Saitek Eclipse II keyboards, and they're pretty junky from how I see it. Mine only lasted about 3 months tops. They're cool at first, but then the paint starts coming off the keys, and it will type the wrong letters sometimes, or it won't type at all and you have to hit the key twice for it to type. I had problems with the space bar not working right on one of mine, and on the other the "o" key would not register on the first keystroke. After the second replacement I just gave up and went with a logitech.

I used have a Saitek Eclipse. Damn good keyboard.

But I could never get rid of my Logitech G15 (version 1). Love it. I'll probably never use another keyboard.

I have the Saitek 1 and I love it. Honestly I don't know why someone said they can't see the keys under certain conditions because I've never had that issue.

I have the Saitek 1 and I love it. Honestly I don't know why someone said they can't see the keys under certain conditions because I've never had that issue.

The use a glossy type finish on the keys and at certain angles you get a glare so you cant read the keys. This is on the original Saitek Eclipse and the Eclispe II.

I dont have this problem with either of the Deck keyboards that I own.

saitek eclipse is awesome, i wish microsoft would make a black version of the original ergo natural keyboard. my brother used mine to bash in a crt after a bad raid in runescape.:rolleyes:

I vote Logitech. Any of their G series keyboards. I had a G11, loved it, tried another Logitech board (their USB Media keyboard), sold it to a buddy since I knew my buddy would use the G keys more than I would, started missing it, so I went and bought another G11. I use the G-Keys for things like copy, paste, and basic functions during normal operation. I use em a lot for WarCraft 3 and some other games too.

Old G15 FTW

No use for the LCD?
MBM5.jpg

Nuff Said...

For the OP, it seems to me that the saitek may be more mushy than the G15. I have no need of the G keys but they don't bother me either.

i love my g15. the keys have a lot of travel space and feel very crisp, especially compared to the saitek.

I love my G15. I use my G keys all the time. This thing was practically made for MMORPGs IMHO. Probably doesn't matter as much for shooters but I absolutely wouldn't trade it for anything else. I have the original G15 with the blue Backlight and I've had it for well over a year. The paint hasn't worn off or anything and it still works like new. Great keyboard and highly reccomended. I checked out some of the Saitek boards but the feel of the keys is no where near as nice as the Logitech. The only keyboard I have used that I preferred the tactile feedback of was an old IBM M keyboard with the buckling springs. This is a great keyboard and it has dropped in price significantly since I purchased mine. Highly recommend.

I'd like to know what "paint" on an Eclipse keyboard you guys that said it wore off are talking about. I had an original Eclipse only shortly don't, remember a whole lot about it other than the blue backlight was not bright enough for me and it was a good enough keyboard to make me want the Eclipse 2. I use my Eclipse 2 for many hours each day and nothing has "worn off", the keys have the same springy tactile response I like in a keyboard from the day I purchased it when they first came out, the thing is just sturdy and wellmade.

I love Logitech Mice and trackballs but their keyboards are meh imo.

Anyone know if the Razor Tarantula is a good keyboard? It looks freakin sweet.

I <3 my Tarantula. Good key action, not loud, not stupid large, and I got a fairly good deal on it. That said, I could do without the "dock" thing on the top... c'mon Razer. Also, the fact that only the extra programmable keys are backlit is something of a let-down. I wanted all keys backlit. Over all very happy with it, though I kind of wish I'd spent a bit more for the Lycosa as it has more of the feature-set I'm looking for.

Anybody wants to trade me their almost brand new Lycosa for my almost brand new Tarantula, PM me.

I love my saitek eclipse l. I will probably be picking up a eclipse ll later on this year.

I <3 my Tarantula. Good key action, not loud, not stupid large, and I got a fairly good deal on it. That said, I could do without the "dock" thing on the top... c'mon Razer. Also, the fact that only the extra programmable keys are backlit is something of a let-down. I wanted all keys backlit. Over all very happy with it, though I kind of wish I'd spent a bit more for the Lycosa as it has more of the feature-set I'm looking for.

Anybody wants to trade me their almost brand new Lycosa for my almost brand new Tarantula, PM me.

isn't the lycosa less expenssive?

Yes, but like I said I got a really good deal on the Tarantula.

(Just using s-c's statement to make a point, this isn't directed specifically at s-c)

Many parts are better or worse, depending on price. That's why the [H] reviews always take price into account.

Back