Good Bye VMware, Hello OpenStack. PayPal Axes Virtualization Giant

erek

[H]F Junkie
"A couple of years ago (almost to the day) Forbes covered the suggestion that PayPal was going to drop VMware from its infrastructure in favor of OpenStack. The article actually impacted upon VMware's VMW -2.67% share price for a time and it only surfaced later that PayPal was only making an initial foray into OpenStack. VMware breathed a sigh of relief.

VMware will be catching its breath again today on the news that PayPal has converted almost 100 percent of the traffic of its web/API and mid-tier services to run on an internal private cloud that has been built on OpenStack. A massive story for OpenStack, but some very bad press for VMware."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/benkepe...o-openstack-paypal-axes-virtualization-giant/

I guess you suggest that it is OpenStack NOT running on top of vSphere?

Just because someone didn't go down the vCloud Director path or vRA / vCloud Suite... doesn't mean VMware is gasping. If they're running OpenStack on top of vSphere, then there is a lot of grandstanding.

VMware is part of OpenStack, and I am guessing that their OWN, yes VMware has their OWN distribution! I think it'll be #2 or #3 very quickly behind Mirantis (which also can support vSphere). https://www.vmware.com/products/openstack

Anyway, without all the detail it hardly sounds worrying.

Just because someone didn't go down the vCloud Director path or vRA / vCloud Suite... doesn't mean VMware is gasping. If they're running OpenStack on top of vSphere, then there is a lot of grandstanding.

VMware is part of OpenStack, and I am guessing that their OWN, yes VMware has their OWN distribution! I think it'll be #2 or #3 very quickly behind Mirantis (which also can support vSphere). https://www.vmware.com/products/openstack

Thanks for the info, I had no idea

Nope. You are wrong. Vmware JUST went GA with production 1.0 of openstack on top of vsphere. We are talking 2 weeks ago. Tons of very very large corporations and enterprises have dumped vmware for bare metal private 'cloud' solutions that dont require vmware to be the hypervisor. Openstack/coreos/etc. Why pay the millions in licensing fees when you dont need to? Yes, vmware is 'part' of openstack, but so are 500000 other technologies. Vmware does not have their own distribution of Openstack. They have built tools to allow customers, of the right licensing level, to be able to more seamlessly(if you can call it that) run open stack on top of their virtualization stack. Paypal is really the latest in a cascade of large companies dumping vmware for other cheaper/free more robust technologies.

I still work for a company that is 99% virtualized 80% of that is vmware, but we are shedding vmware like a bad habit. I'd expect wtihin the next 2 years we are barely 50% vmware, and another 2 years far far less. They are finally making some good decisions in regards to the industry direction, but they are very late to the party.

Nope. You are wrong. Vmware JUST went GA with production 1.0 of openstack on top of vsphere. We are talking 2 weeks ago. Tons of very very large corporations and enterprises have dumped vmware for bare metal private 'cloud' solutions that dont require vmware to be the hypervisor. Openstack/coreos/etc. Why pay the millions in licensing fees when you dont need to? Yes, vmware is 'part' of openstack, but so are 500000 other technologies. Vmware does not have their own distribution of Openstack. They have built tools to allow customers, of the right licensing level, to be able to more seamlessly(if you can call it that) run open stack on top of their virtualization stack. Paypal is really the latest in a cascade of large companies dumping vmware for other cheaper/free more robust technologies.

I still work for a company that is 99% virtualized 80% of that is vmware, but we are shedding vmware like a bad habit. I'd expect wtihin the next 2 years we are barely 50% vmware, and another 2 years far far less. They are finally making some good decisions in regards to the industry direction, but they are very late to the party.

I don't mind being called wrong, but saying that vSphere Integrated OpenStack isn't their own distribution is a farce.

http://readwrite.com/2014/12/18/vmware-openstack-vendors-mirantis-boris-renski

OpenStack has uses. VMware has uses. Hyper-V has uses. Each has their own strengths and weaknesses. I don't know a single big OS shop that doesn't also have a traditional hypervisor somewhere else for their core in one form or another, just due to how OS tends to deliver compute and network services - they're for different ~uses~.

Back