good cheap GPS for car.

I'm trying to get a gps guide for my dad's car, but i'm completely lost when it comes to this stuff.

basically i want something with:

- a color screen to show the map of where he's going
- voiced directions (because he's old and even the color screen might not do it for him)
- easy course programming (i donno how you input directions on these things usually, but i think anything that doesn't require him to individually upload directions from a computer to the device would be great. so i'm guessing voice operated would be best)
- has course correction (meaning if he misses a turn it'll remap his route)
- car adapter rechargable
- and costs somewhere between 200-300 bucks (I'd like to stay in that price range, but if i need to break the 300 barrier for a good product i'll do it).

I've been looking at those PDA type GPS units that he can mount in his car, because they're portable and they dont cost as much as the full on ones.

I hear good things (or i just hear a lot on tv and radio) about tomtom and garmin, but again, i have no head for this kinda stuff.

if there's a unit that has all but like one thing, suggest it anyhow. chances are he can probably get through the inconvenience if the price is right

thanks for any help.

Averatec makes a solid unit. Here's one right smack in your price range.

Geeks.com has it for almost the same price, but they're out of stock.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
check out what woot.com has up today.

the unit has a ton of good reviews, and is $100 off retail

I have used Garmin's C320 since this past summer and I can't go back to life w/o it. It's simple to use and works great. I have been recommending it as a great christmas gift to people I know. It has everything you asked for, including the price. One caveat is that it does give voice direction. However, it does NOT announce street names, but rather something like "make a right in 100 ft". If you want street names announced, it's gonna cost you a lot more.

I did a quick search on pricegrabber.com, and buydig has it for a good price:

http://www2.buydig.com/shop/product...medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GRSPC320&sku=GRSPC320

Blackhole said:
I have used Garmin's C320 since this past summer and I can't go back to life w/o it. It's simple to use and works great. I have been recommending it as a great christmas gift to people I know. It has everything you asked for, including the price. One caveat is that it does give voice direction. However, it does NOT announce street names, but rather something like "make a right in 100 ft". If you want street names announced, it's gonna cost you a lot more.

http://www2.buydig.com/shop/product...medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GRSPC320&sku=GRSPC320

My father in law also has a c320 and has mixed results with it. He drives long haul truck and i think most of his issues are related to it giving him directions via non-trucking routes. (narrow roads with low overpasses.) Anytime I've borrowed it, it seems great.

I'm very happy with my Mio 310x. I saw one in Fry's for $200 yesterday.

Blackhole said:

QFT.

You can pick one up for ~250 now. It worked great on my last vacation... now if I could just get it back from the wife... :)

isnt there another thread just like this one already? Well i will say it again. My favorite is the ONE and i would recommend it to anyone. I have used my friend's and its great. Easy to use, compact and i want one!!

my brother inlaw is using a MIO he got from fry's for 200 I got the chance to use it during the holidays and it works like a champ saved us hours of siting in traffic.

Back