Good cheap PCIe card? X1600XT?

Sharky974

Identified Troll
I'm getting a PCIe mobo, so now I need a card. I just want something competent but cheap.

Is their something markedly better than the x1600XT which I can get for $155? I'm really liking the 12 pipelines and forward nature of that card, as well as sm 3.0 etc..

It seems stupid but I'd almost rather have what's "current" than "older and faster" aka maybe a X800 GTO.

If you can find an x800GTO^2 for $155 that's pretty good.

The X1600XT is quite a bit slower with more features though. I think it will last longer even if it is slower.

well also people are basing there opinions about the 1600xt off the reviews which are usin older drivers people on xtremesystems are getting WAY better performance with the latest drivers :rolleyes:

The gto2 (which is basically an x800xt) will be a little faster in current/older stuff, but I think for the next year the 1600xt is a little better bet. If you haven't gotten the mobo yet, you may think about a crossfire board as you can add a 2nd 1600xt (without need of a master card) and it seems to perform on par with a 7800gt for about the same cost, and without having to plunk down $300 in one shot. That'd be my upgrade path if I were in your situation...

I agree, the x1600xt is a good cheap choice, especially for future games in the next year or so. I'm not a huge crossfire fan, but I guess if that's your cup o tea, there's another upgrade option (and you wouldn't have to fork over 300+ for a new card).

Back