Good example of a game being destroyed by Windows Live : Section 8

ScYcS

2[H]4U
Section 8 is as close a game to Tribes as there has been in ages. It's fun, has good game modi, excellent weapons, nice mechanics such as "superspeed-run", deployables, good maps. Everything that would make a game a success but it uses Windows Live. I don't mind it but i know one of my friends had problems even getting into the game with Windows Live, some others find it annoying, long story short:

The game has a small community and i blame Windows Live mostly for it, because the game itself is FUN.

Too bad really. Finally a halfway worthy Tribes replacement and nobody plays.

windows live destroy ANY games that has it. I tend to avoid GFWL... sadly Dirt 2 is GFWL.

uh.. SF4 and DiRT 2 and other games did really well with Windows Live.

not quite sure what you saying right here.

from my gameplay experience with Section 8, the game is horrible. There is lots of thing they still haven't fix since beta. Lots of people quit with same reason.

uh.. SF4 and DiRT 2 and other games did really well with Windows Live.

not quite sure what you saying right here.

from my gameplay experience with Section 8, the game is horrible. There is lots of thing they still haven't fix since beta. Lots of people quit with same reason.

I dare to say they're doing well DESPITE windows live...

Windows Live had no effect on that game. It received mediocre reviews, wasn't well known, and is in a very crowded genre.

Plenty of games that use Live were very successful as noted (Fallout for example). I'm not saying GFWL works without issues, its actually kind of annoying (although I like adding to my gamer score), but blaming poor sales on Windows Live is about as pointless as blaming them on piracy.

With Microsoft's recent 're-commitment' to PC gaming, I would expect improvements to GFWL. Unfortunately it's like anything else though, all these platforms (Steam, GFWL, EA DM, etc.) all are competing. You would think that would help gamers but I feel it hurts. It's like the Nvidia/ATI proprietary technology. It cost us all more money which means less to spend on the games themselves. We need some type of open digital distribution system that all games can be on. I don't like digital content though because I like being able to re-sell it.

GFWL is bad, agreed, but at the same time, it is not even remotely responsible for the failure of Section 8. The game is absolutely terrible and that is the reason why no one plays it.

I'm not sure why there's all this whining about Games for Windows LIVE. I quite like it; GFW means all games work perfectly with the Xbox 360 controller and there's no issues running games on 7.

I also like that I can earn achievements for my XBL profile now with PC versions of games. No longer do I have to play Xbox crap if I want achievements.

i like having the GFWL because I can add achievements to my 360 gamertag.

You know, I can't think of a single instance where I thought to myself "well, I sure am glad they put GFWL in this game" or "Gee, this game is good but you know what could make it even better? GFWL!!!" or "Wow, im excited for the game X to come out next month, but its a shame it doesn't have GFWL in it" or....you get the picture.

At best it is an annoyance and at worst it ruins any online aspect of a game that it is part of.

What's wrong with windows live? I have played SF4 online, RE5 co-op, Flatout:UC with friends, Batman AA, Fallout 3, and haven't encountered any problems.

The coolest thing about Games for Windows LIVE were the universal CD keys to activate games. You could use a key from the cheapest Games For Windows - LIVE key and use it to activate any other Games For Windows - LIVE game. You could also use it multiple times, so it was like you bought several games for the price of one.

Games For Windows - LIVE used to be a better deal than Steam's sales! But then they updated it some time after Batman Arkham Asylum was released so you can't do it with new GFWL titles.

Fallout 3 is successful partly because of the modding, where live is taken off.

The coolest thing about Games for Windows LIVE were the universal CD keys to activate games. You could use a key from the cheapest Games For Windows - LIVE key and use it to activate any other Games For Windows - LIVE game. You could also use it multiple times, so it was like you bought several games for the price of one.

Games For Windows - LIVE used to be a better deal than Steam's sales! But then they updated it some time after Batman Arkham Asylum was released so you can't do it with new GFWL titles.

Wow, do they still do it for old titles?

Yeah. Any Games For Windows - LIVE title released before 2010 works.

Yeah When I first ran batman AA it made me relogin and out like 50 times before I could play. took at least 30min. Some vague complex bullshit gfwl update stuff I couldnt make heads or tails. all in all just a crap system. If you're gonna put out a application like that at least make it something people want. It kept asking me if I wanted to check mail and want not. "You think I fucking installed you because I wanted to?!" Not a good way to promote a product. Steam retail installs meh 50/50 steam is at least "for gaming", but Windows live is just some bullshit extension forced on you that serves no decent gaming purpose. Guess what Windows? YOU'RE THE NEW BONZAI BUDDY!

/rant

GFWL is bad, agreed, but at the same time, it is not even remotely responsible for the failure of Section 8. The game is absolutely terrible and that is the reason why no one plays it.

Couldn't agree more.

It's horrible AND chunks with my gear. All GFWL does for some reason. I try to avoid everything that has to do with it.

I've never even heard of Section 8. I'd say that's why it has a small community -- no one has heard of it.

I would've kept playing if sniping wasnt bullshit (no headshot, took many shots to kill and by that time they were out of your sight) and the single player wasn't mutliplayer maps with AI bots.

I love it when a game i buy has GWFL. Just like my xbox360 and adds in my achievements and has lotso good multi. I just think section 8 is failing because its not a popular game at all.

Back