Good GPU / CPU Match @ 1920x1200 ?

Damar

Supreme [H]ardness
I've been searching around the net trying to find some information, and I'm having trouble finding a somewhat concrete answer.

For a machine with an C2D E6850 running at 3.6Ghz (stock speed 3.0Ghz), and a pair of 8800 GTX's in SLI mode, 4GB of memory, and running at 1920x1200 resolution.......

1) How much is that CPU holding things back? (The OC is achieved by changing the FSB) up to 1600 from the stock 1333.

2) Would it be better off with a Core2Extreme pushing data so that it would be the multiplier thats changed and not the FSB?

Just trying to find the best symmetry for this machine to last for a while, and would appreciate any comments or suggestions.

I doubt that CPU is holding you back. It should be fine for that resolution.

I doubt that CPU is holding you back. It should be fine for that resolution.
.......................................................................................................................................

+1

Your CPU is probably 1.0GHz higher than it needs to be to not limit your frame rate at 1920x1200. CPU matters very little at that resolution. Once you hit about 2.4-2.6GHz on a Core 2, any system will be strictly GPU limited at that resolution, with the exception of a few older games, and CPU bound simulator games that are already running at 100+fps.

People really like to over-estimate what CPU speed is doing for them in gaming. This is one of the many reasons those Liquid nitrogen CPU overclocking guys only run 3DMark. It gives you extra points for ramping your CPU up to 5.5GHz, whereas a game won't improve its framerates over 2.6GHz or so.

Google "CPU scaling 1920x1200" for some good charts and graphs.

NKD got it right. Another nail in the coffin for 3DMark.....:p

Even a 3ghz Athlon64 at that res gives quite a gaming experience with a nice 8800 series card....my son's rig has an 8800GT w/ a 5000+ BE and 3gb ram, and while it scores 2000pts LESS in 3dm06, it games at 90% or more of what the rig in my sig does....at high res of course.

Thank you VERY much for the comments.

That search recommendation gave me a lot of good information, I just could never come up with the proper words to get what I was looking for, and the word "scaling" never popped into my head for some reason.

The main reason for the OC on the cpu was that it could be done at stock voltage and not overheat things in the machine. It helps when doing video encoding more than anything, but it's nice to see that the overall machine is pretty well balanced at the moment.

I've never put much faith in 3DMark scores, for the very reason that it never told me what I'd be able to achieve in my actual gaming sessions.

Thanks to you all for the replies!

Back