Good KVM?

Slartibartfast

Supreme [H]ardness
Anybody know of a good 4-port KVM? I currently have a 2 port D-Link that sucks: it's designed in such a way that I basically have to crawl under the desk to use it, and if I switch from machine B to machine A, the mouse doesn't switch over and I have to reboot.

edit: typos

I have a 4 port Belkin omniview i got on ebay about 3 years ago. It is pretty decent. Once in a while it goes flakey but most of the time its fine. I also have a no name 4 port that i got from newegg and that seems to work fine. Both of these are ps2 and vga kvms. You can switch between comps on either of them by pushing the scroll lock key twice and the number of the comp you are swithing to.(have to remember which number is what comp) Hope this helps.

I've been using a (Genie) for 3 or 4 years and like it. It works with the monitor, keyboard and mouse.

Kathy

I have 2 belkin omniviews and one Generic Noname one that just says PS104

Currently using the generic one because i have the cables for it. The belkins have female vga ports instead of male ones. so standard cables dont work. need a gender adapter or F to M cables.

One day i'll throw them on ebay or something

I have a 16 port MasterConsole IIx from Raritan.

Thing is a beast, has special interface cables into it but it works REALLY good. It's only $1200 and $44 for 6.5ft cables...

:eek: Obviously have this at work.

For PS/2 and VGA, I have the Linksys model. It's great, came with cables. It hasn't dropped a device yet.

IOGEAR makes a really nice one for USB and VGA, which has OSD -- but still costs less than $100, including cables. Unfortunately, one of my servers would hang at boot whenever it was plugged into it.

Omni-views are not so good. I had one and just sold it. They have trouble with scroll wheel mice.

I used to use Cybex at work and I liked them

dandragonrage said:
Omni-views are not so good. I had one and just sold it. They have trouble with scroll wheel mice.

Actually, some of them are explicitly incompatible. Check the Microsoft knowledge base for "OmniView". Neither Microsoft nor Logitech support KVM use with their input device products, BTW.

Raritan all the way. The only problem with my raritan is that under Linux I have to insert some kernel boot param to get the mouse behavior to work right, and under FreeBSD it has weird behavior (that I could probably fix if I knew a single thing about FreeBSD). Sometimes theres also some weird mouse freezes, maybe like once or twice a day, for about 3-4 seconds. Raritan might have fixed that problem now.

I'm using Intellimouse Explorer (3.0 or something?) and the side buttons, scrollwheel all work just fine in Windows and Linux.

I am not sure the specific application that you are looking to use this for and I dont have much experience but I am currently using a program called muliplicity and it works excellent. My setup is I have my gaming rig and I have my laptop next to it. I use my laptop for chatting/folding/music ect. What this program alows you to do is move the mouse on the machine that the keyboard and mouse are hooked up to and when youmove the mouse off the screen it goes to the other computer and the mouse and keyboard are now on that computer. It works over the lan flawlessly and it does other things excellent like copying over the clipboard contents if you paste. connects automatically on startup. very useful program. www.stardock.com

Back