Good LCD TV 27" or less ?

I need recomendations or a website form you guys. I would only go bigger than 27" if there was a good reason. Otherwise I just need a screen to watch DVDs via Theatertek and do basic stuff like surf, office,DVD backup etc. No games :eek:

well, I would recommend getting a 19" LCD computer monitor if that will be big enough. higher res than any TV you will find and cheaper too. you can get a good samsung for $300.If that isn't big enough, look at the olevia LCD's. They have them at microcenter and tiger direct I think.

FreshPrinceOfBellAir said:
Anyone else got a recommendation?
Yes

Westinghouse 26" HDTV lcd $499 @ Bestbuy black friday (day after thanksgiving).

Other deals include:
- portable dvd w/7"lcd $69
- Maxent 42" edtv plasma $999
- 5mp kodak digital camera $129
- Toshiba laptop celeron/15" screen $379
- discussion and links to black friday sales fliers: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=977310

SJetski71 said:
Yes

Westinghouse 26" HDTV lcd $499 @ Bestbuy black friday (day after thanksgiving).

Other deals include:
- portable dvd w/7"lcd $69
- Maxent 42" edtv plasma $999
- 5mp kodak digital camera $129
- Toshiba laptop celeron/15" screen $379
- discussion and links to black friday sales fliers: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=977310
I've seen that one at bestbuy and it had a crap picture, if i remember the specs were bad also.

I have the 32" Olevia for HT and it's a great display. I use it for console gaming, DVD/divx and HDTV OTA picture is great although SD is another story. Also Microcenter has the 37" Olevia for $1000 after a couple rebates totaling $500 an awesome deal if you can get it on Black Friday.

FreshPrinceOfBellAir said:
I've seen that one at bestbuy and it had a crap picture, if i remember the specs were bad also.
Sure they had it hooked up correctly? but anyways i found a better one ;):

Office depot will have the 27" syntax Olevia lcd for $499, and a 14" celeron M laptop for $350 on black friday. I might personally go for this one instead since i would ebay the laptop to help offset the cost of the television a coupla hundred dollars more. Looks like we picked the right time to go TV shopping :)

edit: I wonder if this is the exact model OD will be selling: Ölevia LT27HVX

SJetski71 said:
Sure they had it hooked up correctly? but anyways i found a better one ;):

Office depot will have the 27" syntax Olevia lcd for $499, and a 14" celeron M laptop for $350 on black friday. I might personally go for this one instead since i would ebay the laptop to help offset the cost of the television a coupla hundred dollars more. Looks like we picked the right time to go TV shopping :)

That is a great price. I was liking the Viewsonic mentioned earlier, but that price is hard to skip.

I have an Olevia 27" LCD and wouldn't recommend it unless its going to be used as a non important display. The video quality is just not there compared to the higher quality displays. I am partial to NuVision LCD's now but you can only get them through custom installation distributors.

I did just install a 20" Viewsonic LCD TV at a customers and it had a very decent picture for the cost.

Bighitter said:
I have an Olevia 27" LCD and wouldn't recommend it unless its going to be used as a non important display. The video quality is just not there compared to the higher quality displays. I am partial to NuVision LCD's now but you can only get them through custom installation distributors.

I did just install a 20" Viewsonic LCD TV at a customers and it had a very decent picture for the cost.
What do you mean by "non important" I mentioned what I plan on doing with it in the first post :confused:

Originally Posted by SJetski71

I Just went to Office Depot and checked out the 27" syntax Olevia. It was the only LCD that size in the store so I guess it will be the one on sale this week.
As for the picture, they had it set up with a portable DVD player via the RCA input. That didn't look to good, but what do you expect. The menus had some nice features. I think the picture would look good connected to a better source as the pixels were crisp and to had good brightness. I found some reviews for the Syntax Olevia LT27HV 27 HERE Which I think has the same screen as the LT27HVX.
This I probably the best value for a large PC monitor. It dosen't thave the sexy look like higher price LCDs, but I just want a big monitor :D

The fella in post #26 here claims Circuit city's 26" syntax is better than the 27" syntax at office depot...Something about newer technology and or better specs(?) He often replies to HT and lcd TV threads and often seems to be on the money with his opinions.

Don't know how true that is but it might help you narrow your focus and research.

btw, office depot, circuit city and bestbuy are charging $499 for their respective offerings.

Boy, that "fella" sure knows his shit! :) Thanks for the help SJetski71. The 26" unit has the better specs - higher res, contrast and brightness, all the important stuff. The only thing I don't like is that it's at Circuit City. My guess is that the odds of getting one are lower than the unit at Office Depot.
So everyone let your friends and family know that they should stay away from all circuit city stores in Sacramento, CA until it has been confirmed by 2 sources that I have purchased mine! :D

^^^

They're trying to clear up some of this confusion in our hot deals forum, and creating some more in the process. Read carefully and arm yourself with some info beforehand.

- http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=981541
- http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=980359
- http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=979925

Oh yea, it varies from store to store, but apparently some stores allow you to purchase ahead of time, then allow you to return BF morning for a price adjustment. You have to speak with your local store's customer service rep beforehand to find out exact details and policy.

The Syntax Olevia "HVX" models appear to be newer and have superior specs over the "HVE" models.

Back