Good LONG ide cables?

SoniCraze

Limp Gawd
Since i picked up a new p180 last week i havent been able to put all my IDE hardrives in because i cant get a cable to reach 2 hardrives in the bottom cage. I have a couple rounded ones but there the ones that came with the dfi motherboard and super hard to work with.

Any ideas?

DO NOT cheap out on PATA/IDE cables that are over 18" long. This is the maximum spec allowed, and you will need high quality cables to exceed that spec reliably, especially for hard disks that use the higher transfer modes. Cheap cables may work 'fine,' until you find out your drives are dropping to PIO transfer modes, not good. Another option that is worth considering, but may not fit your situaiton, is to pick up a Serializer adapter for the drives to allow you to use an SATA cable that can run for several meters without fear of crosstalk, attentuation, etc.

If these 2 drives are used for storage, and do not contain an active operating system, why not just pop them into external enclosures, and plug them into a USB 2.0 or Fire Wire port?? Doing this also allows you to bring the drives to friends homes for large file transfers.

A serillel adapter to convert to SATA is a good option. Let's not forget to mention
that they require yet another power connector = 4pin floppy.

I've used 24" rounded IDE cables without any issues. They also make 36" but
that would be pushing it.

I have a bunch of 36" round steel braided that I never used. :D

Back