Gawd
I've built a system with the following specs:

Intel core2duo wolfdale E7200
Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L motherboard
Gigabyte 8800gt 512mb
2 gigs (2x1GB) corsair XMS 2
530w power supply
WD 250GB 7200rpm 16MB cache HDD

I was in kind of a rush to put the system together and realized after the fact that I didn't exactly pick an overclocking mobo. I'd like to switch it out for another mATX board, but one that has good overclocking ability. I'm on a bit of a budget so anything around 100.00USD or less would be perfect. Any suggestions?

Thankfully I still have like 3 weeks that I can RMA this board to Newegg.

Well the forum is just cementing the idea in my mind that they're simply aren't any stellar overclockers for Core2Duos yet in the mATX form factor.

I did however manage to push my little board up to 315fsb without any trouble. I had to up the vcore a bit, but my chip runs totally stable at 3.0GHz and I don't even have a fan on my Ultima 90. The damn thing doesn't even get above 40c. I was only ever after the 3.0GHz mark anyway so I'm satisfied with the board, especially considering it was only 60 bucks.

I think I can push my chip a bit more, maybe even to 3.5 on this board but I'm not sure I want to.

Asus P5E-VM HDMI -- out of your budget, but the best mATX available IMO.

I built an SFF system last month, and OC'd my q6600 to ~3GHz (I gave the machine to my mother, so I can't remember exactly how fast I had it running) -- I ran it through Prime95 and it never flinched (although it did run pretty hot in the tiny case).

Check out the Small Form Factor thread here at [H]... you'll get more help in there than in here.

GL

Like you I'm not interested in "stellar" OC's. I just want a cool, stable and dependable OC' that'll fold 24/7. ;)

I have had a GA-G31M-S2L folding 24/7 for months absolutely trouble free, first with a E6600 @ 3.0 GHz and ATM with a Q6600 @ 2.8 GHz (it was 3.0 GHz, just down clocked for the summer temps)

I also have another one coming in the mail for a second Q6600 24/7 folder and when it gets here (slow boat to China, grounder mail :() I'll WC' it like the first one.

IMO you can't get a more reliable or cheaper mATX mobo in the market, but that's only my $0.02 cents worth. :D

I've got my e7200 at 3.32 with the little GA-G31M-S2L, so I'm happy with it. My temps are low, everything is really stable and the games are running great. I've really warmed up to this thing and I'm happy with the board.

I might be able to get an extra 500mhz with a more expensive board, but I don't need it, and this mobo was only 65 bucks on newegg. Price to performance/stability, this board is really good. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a low-cost mATX board that can give them a 30-40% overclock.

Back