Good news regarding Cool 'N Quiet

SicKlown42012

2[H]4U
The prevailing opinion has been that if you're going to overclock an AMD processor, you need to disable Cool 'N Quiet in the bios. Well, after some problems using PhenomMrsTweaker, i decided to buck the trend. Using the same overclock settings, I turned to option on, and violla, my 940 is idling at 800Mhz at 1.000V. I now feel much better about running my cpu at such a high voltage.

I've done some more research on the subject, and from what I can tell, whether or not it works is dependent on which motherboard you have. For the record, i'm using An Asus M4A79 Deluxe (AM2+). So, hopefully i could have helped someone, or at least spread some more knowledge.

I've always enabled CnQ while overclocking, as long as it was working (i.e. after the many AMD Windows patches/CPU drivers were released).

Verified working on my setup. It doesn't matter whether the OC is done through multi or FSB, the voltage and multiplier should still drop when the system is idle.

yeah CNQ will work while overclocking but AMD doesnt recommend it.. since people tend to not correctly overclock their cpu's and leave the voltage to low.. then start crying about why they keep getting BSOD's all the time..

It's just working in vista for you guys? Cuz a lot of us, as soon as we change the multi, the option disappears from the power screen!

I can use k10stat to manually lower the stuff with a few clicks but its not the same. No matter what my top end is, my chip can do 0.8-0.85v @ 800mhz [0.9@1ghz]and I want it to always go down to that while not under load (cry)

I haven't tested with Vista. Moved to the Windows 7RC when I built this system. But seeing as how they're pretty similar, I can't see why not. Just make sure your power settings in the control panel are set to Balanced. Any other settings wouldn't downclock.

Yes, a lot of people don't realize that it's changed a bit in how it operates in Phenom and again in Phenom II processors, so most of the problems it caused with overclocking, or causing stuttering when it downclocks at the wrong time are resolved. No real reason not to run it now.

Back