Good PSU's really worth it?

chrisewaters

Limp Gawd
Hey im starting to wonder if having a good psu is really worth it, so far they have caused me more trouble than good. Maybe i am just unlucky. When i built my pc i ran out of money and got a cheap $50 (AUD) psu which ran fine apart from when i went to lans and strange things would happen like monitor not getting any signal, restarts and dvd rom not working, but when i pluged it into a power board these problems when away.

Anyway i decided to get a new PSU and bought a Antec NeoHe 500W for $150 (AUD) because i though Antecs were good anyway i turned on my pc started up a game and my pc restarted. So i read up on some forums and found there was a problem with it and my mobo and the latest bios would fix it, but that did nothing so i sent it back and they sent me a new one, started up a game and everything was fine apart from a really loud annoying electrical buzz when running any 3d app. So i sent that one back and got a refund. thats right antec sent me anouther faulty psu.

I then went out a bought a more expencive psu, after reading many reviews i decided to buy a silverstone strider 600W modular PSU for 200 (AUD). it had been running really great and i was happy with it until recently, my pc has been acting strangly and the psu has been making a really bad humming noise comming from the fan. Some times my headphone only play out of one side and i had to tap the top of the case were the psu is to get it to work properly.

what do you guys think i should do, send it back and hope for the best or revert back to the old cheap one and get a refund.

Look for the problem elsewhere. Cheap generic psu's are NEVER worth it. EVER. You might save a bit now, but not too long down the road, ou'll be used to the burning smell, and the death of your rig. Don't buy generic power supplies.

yeah, I spent 30 bucks on a psu after my 100+dollar one went down the shitter and it hasn't failed me yet. Irreguardless of that fact, I am gonna get one of them new fangled Corsair psu's, hope that one does better.

The heart of a system is the PSU, not the CPU. Get a Corsair or a Seasonic and forget about any problems in the future. It would have been nice to know what your system consisted of to see what kind of amps you need.

Sound coming out of one ear is a different kind of problem.

Good PSUs are worth it. The problem is, Antec is no longer considered a part of the "Good PSU" group. Their Quality Control department is severely lacking, as you, myself, and many others have experienced first hand. Look elsewhere for good power supplies. I'm sticking to companies listed as "Class 1" on the recommended list myself.

BBowermaster said:
Good PSUs are worth it. The problem is, Antec is no longer considered a part of the "Good PSU" group. Their Quality Control department is severely lacking, as you, myself, and many others have experienced first hand. Look elsewhere for good power supplies. I'm sticking to companies listed as "Class 1" on the recommended list myself.

Ditto on the above in a big way,good CS,mediocre products...

BBowermaster said:

You really should get your facts straight before posting. Throwing a blanket statement of "bad" on there entire Antec product line is irresponsible. Yes, the lower end Antecs (SP line) are pretty unreliable. Antec is getting the message from consumers as the Trio and HE line is built by Seasonic and use pretty acceptable parts.

If you take some time to read this (pretty detailed technical review), your statement of "no longer considered a part of the "Good PSU" group" just doesn't hold up: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/361

This psu is $49 bucks right now. I wouldn't say that is a very bad deal.....

I wouldn't put antec in the extreme omfg catagory of psu's, simply because they just don't go there. They've dropped a bit in the past, with the Fuhjyyu's, minor problems, the NeoHE + A8N incompatability, but overall, they build a good, solid power supply that is better than the vast majority of power supplies out there. Simply put, there are better choices out there.

mucker said:
You really should get your facts straight before posting. Throwing a blanket statement of "bad" on there entire Antec product line is irresponsible. Yes, the lower end Antecs (SP line) are pretty unreliable. Antec is getting the message from consumers as the Trio and HE line is built by Seasonic and use pretty acceptable parts.

If you take some time to read this (pretty detailed technical review), your statement of "no longer considered a part of the "Good PSU" group" just doesn't hold up: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/361

This psu is $49 bucks right now. I wouldn't say that is a very bad deal.....

I wouldn't consider an at the time $80-$90 500w SmartPower "lower end". Not to mention, its not just the SmartPower, I've seen people with Neos, Phantoms, etc, experience the same problem with a high pitched whine.

And read my original post, I never called them bad, I just said they aren't good, meaning there are better companies to buy from for the money. Would I buy an Antec over a Corsair, Seasonic, Enermax, or Fortron? No. Would I buy one over an Ultra, Raidmax, etc? Yes.

My system consists of a AMD 3800 X2 @ 2.4 (1.4v), leadtek 7800 GTX 256mb, Asus A8N Sli premium Mobo, 2*512 Corsair 3200XMS Pro (2225), 200G WD SATA HD, Lg DVD rom, 600watt Silversone strider modular PSU (which im gonna send back to get fixed) and a gigabyte galaxy water cooling kit. The whole system is a year old except for the spu which is about 1 or 2 month.

yeah the thing is ive already had 3 good psu's 2 different models and they have all failed me, id be going on 2 my 4th. Every other part in my pc has done its job except for the power supplies.

Back