Good tool to cut holes?

+3 on the hole saw... but this is coming from a guy who royally sucks with a dremel.

hole saw + 4 then use a dremel to smooth the cut, especially if you're sawing a steel case.

I actually asked for a 3 1/4 (90mm) hole saw for Christmas a couple years back

I used hole saw. It sux.
Really hard to cut through steal. and the cut is rugged. And you must have strong hands to hold both the case and the drill. I guess it depends on the diameter, but I did the 120mm holes

Yeah, hole saw... then carefully dremel or file the edges. It's hard enough to cut a straight line with a dremel... to cut a round one; is an eminent disaster. I'd use a jigsaw to cut a circle before I even thought about using a dremel.

If you're careful it can be done with a Dremel. I'd go with a hole saw, though.

cut it with a hole saw. put some wood on either side of the metal (especially the back side) and you'll get a nicer edge.

use a holesaw, you can use the adjustable circle cutter with a drill press. The nibbler can also do it but it will be tedious and you'll have hand cramps if you wanna nibble through steel.

I used a dremel and it worked fine. Here's the key - draw your outline with a pencil, tape it off, then go around it and just cut a groove. Then use the drill bit to drill a pilot hole, then cut. The dremel will follow the groove you cut first, if you're reasonably careful.

WEAR EYE PROTECTION! Those carbide cutting wheels can shatter and go flying - and it's all fun and games until someone loses an eye (then it's just fun:rolleyes:). I'd recommend a mask too, unless you want to entertain your doctor by having your next chest xray light up like a christmas tree.:eek:

Back