Goodbye PC, hello iMac!

X-Morgan

n00b
Hey guys, I'm just off the phone to Apple Finance and my finance agreement has just been accepted! WOO! So by this time next week I'll be in possesion of my very own iMac!

20'' iMac Core Duo 2.00GHz
2GB DDR2 667Mhz RAM
250GB Hard Drive
256MB Radeon X1600

M-Audio Keystation 49e USB MIDI Keyboard

Black 4GB iPod nano & nano dock

Not to mention Apple Care and Ian over in Apple Cust Services gave me a £35.00 discount for Apple Care ^_^

I'm getting geared up for this, this is gonna be awesome! When I was in college we used PSCS2 and Illustrator on some Power G5's and I really liked the OS X environment, althought now that i have no PC this essentially makes me a complete newbie to Apple.

So, first thing's first, any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated, and any wee hints & tips when I get this godly machine

Cheers!

X-Morgan said:
Hey guys, I'm just off the phone to Apple Finance and my finance agreement has just been accepted! WOO! So by this time next week I'll be in possesion of my very own iMac!

20'' iMac Core Duo 2.00GHz
2GB DDR2 667Mhz RAM
250GB Hard Drive
256MB Radeon X1600

M-Audio Keystation 49e USB MIDI Keyboard

Black 4GB iPod nano & nano dock

Not to mention Apple Care and Ian over in Apple Cust Services gave me a £35.00 discount for Apple Care ^_^

I'm getting geared up for this, this is gonna be awesome! When I was in college we used PSCS2 and Illustrator on some Power G5's and I really liked the OS X environment, althought now that i have no PC this essentially makes me a complete newbie to Apple.

So, first thing's first, any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated, and any wee hints & tips when I get this godly machine

Cheers!

Congrats man! I plan on getting an iMac in the next year or so as well! When you get your new baby you should post some pictures for us! Let us know what you think when get it.

What is your ETA for getting it?

bah, why an imac? dont get me wrong im a proud owner of one of the first g4 800mhz imac( the lamp one,ny frist comp ever). When you buy an IMAC, the price of that monitor is included (well duh, im stating the obvious). My biggest con is that they included a monitor cant transfer over to your next box.I know when i get my next pc, my new 20+ ws monitor(havent decided yet),x-fi sound card and hds will all be reused to save $$$. I've had my imac since 2001 i think. The only thing that condering is the 60gb 5400 hd in it and put in an external enclosure.

strikeout said:
bah, why an imac? dont get me wrong im a proud owner of one of the first g4 800mhz imac( the lamp one,ny frist comp ever). Your paying alot for a monitor that you cant take with you. I've had my imac since 2001 i think. The only thing im consider salvaging is the 60gb 5400 hd in it and put in an external inclosure.

If not iMac then what? I'm confused by your post, are you trying to keep him away from iMac or for it? Your post is kind of confusing.

Congrats on your purchase. Im sorta jealous :p

The performance is going to be quite a jump from your current computer (looking at your sig).

[BB] Rick James said:
If not iMac then what? I'm confused by your post, are you trying to keep him away from iMac or for it? Your post is kind of confusing.

IMO a mac mini or a fullblown intel powermac would be a better solution. Then when its time to upgrade, you can take that $300-500 monitor to your next pc or mac.

strikeout said:
IMO a mac mini or a fullblown intel powermac would be a better solution. Then when its time to upgrade, you can take that $300-500 monitor to your next pc or mac.
you may be half right

because if he buys a powermac, he will have the power. but he just spent another grand more than the imac, because the PM itself was more expensive...AND he needed a monitor (assuming here). not to mention the PM isn't x86 yet....

if he buys a mini, he will have the money, the monitor...but i he won't have the power...

see the predicament?

yeah i think this is where the all inclusive phillosphy of apple with hardware/software all in one all by apple shows its flaws. I would love to have a IMAC in mini form and stick my very own LCD to it. That way i can suit the box and peripherals to my budget better. hell get a IMAC mini style and use that big 21 crt you'll never get rid of lol.

strikeout said:
yeah i think this is where the all inclusive phillosphy of apple with hardware/software all in one all by apple shows its flaws. I would love to have a IMAC in mini form and stick my very own LCD to it. That way i can suit the box and peripherals to my budget better. hell get a IMAC mini style and use that big 21 crt you'll never get rid of lol.

I have been saying this for at least a year, Apple needs a headless iMac in the lineup, there is no reason your monitor should have to be disposed of when you want a new box.

The lowest-end Power Mac is $1999, which is $700 more than the lowest-end iMac. You may not be able to reuse the display, but if look at the price, the display is almost free-as-in-beer. The "Pro" Mac is also likely to start at $1999, and definitely not lower than $1499 or so. The iMac isn't a bad deal even if you can't reuse the monitor. Especially when you factor in that the machine will remain usable until a display of that quality level will be dirt cheap. When we got our original iMac, 15" CRTs that could run at 1024x768 was pretty good (comparable to the display of today's iMacs). When our original iMac was so old and slow as to warrant getting a new computer, you could get 15" CRTs of better quality for next to nothing. I predict the same thing will happen with the LCD in the modern iMacs. The computer will remain in use for so long that the fact that you can't easily reuse the monitor will be a non-issue.

Back