Google: All Your Passwords Are Belong To Us

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Forget the FBI and NSA snooping. Beware of Google collecting your Wi-Fi passwords and doing it with your permission. Be afraid, be very afraid. :eek:

This is all possible because of a feature that lets you back up and save your data to Google's servers. This includes the obvious, like backing up your phone book and calendar, but it also snags your Wi-Fi passwords in the process.

Seriously, if you get a chance watch the movie "Terms and Conditions May Apply" it might make you give up the internet for good going by how much shit they get on you, then combine it, etc. And there's only a blurb about Snowden at the end because the movie finished all of it's segments before he released anything

When there is a setting that essentially says "back up all my shit", how can anyone be surprised that it includes wi-fi passwords? I don't get it.

The more I read about Google the more it pisses me off. Here's to hoping the Firefox phone takes off. I don't want an iAnything and Windows phones don't do anything for me. I like Chrome and I've gotten to the point I like it better than Firefox but I refuse to use it because of bullshit like this.

The more I read about Google the more it pisses me off. Here's to hoping the Firefox phone takes off. I don't want an iAnything and Windows phones don't do anything for me. I like Chrome and I've gotten to the point I like it better than Firefox but I refuse to use it because of bullshit like this.

Ubuntu phone? The problem is we rely too much on Google for simple things.

Gmail
Maps
Search
Android

I have to admit I use all these services, and don't like the information collecting that Google does. It's not a big deal that Google has this info, but it is when they share this info. You trust websites to keep your passwords safe, as well as Credit Card info and etc.

When those people that Google'd back packs and cooking pots got a visit from the NSA, it shows that this info flows freely from Google. And hence, I lost my trust towards them.

I can assure you that I'm in the process of moving away from Google. First my Gmail, and then Android. As soon as someone makes a Ubuntu phone, I'll be switching. In the mean time I wanna make my own Email server. I just don't trust anyone with my Email.

We knew YEARS ago that the Google founders had previous NSA ties before starting Google. If you are shocked at all of this, then you have been asleep for a long, long time. Google was most likely started in order to act as a proxy of the NSA.

Ubuntu phone? The problem is we rely too much on Google for simple things.

Gmail
Maps
Search
Android

I have to admit I use all these services, and don't like the information collecting that Google does. It's not a big deal that Google has this info, but it is when they share this info. You trust websites to keep your passwords safe, as well as Credit Card info and etc.

When those people that Google'd back packs and cooking pots got a visit from the NSA, it shows that this info flows freely from Google. And hence, I lost my trust towards them.

I can assure you that I'm in the process of moving away from Google. First my Gmail, and then Android. As soon as someone makes a Ubuntu phone, I'll be switching. In the mean time I wanna make my own Email server. I just don't trust anyone with my Email.

they still get all your emails, since they have all the recipients' emails and anything sent back to you.

Not at all surprising. Nothing is free and people using google's services should expect more of this in the future. That is why I don't use a third party for my emails (except for work which I have to go through the university for) and I digitally sign my emails.

Come on people, this is just common sense here. I can see it being an issue for corporate networks but since I change my wifi password pretty frequently to a string of random numbers, (not to mention rooting and encrypting the entire phone) I'm not really going to worry about it.

I call it the car-alarm defense. Yeah, my alarm is not going to deter a professional thief but it will foil anyone just looking for a joyride. The same thing applies to google, MS, yahoo, dropbox etc etc. Do your due diligence or else don't complain when they sell your data. Simple as that.

Kind of hard for them to do that to me since 1) I don't back up anything to Google - I use external HD's for that, and 2) All my connections are hardwired. :)

I really like the feature, I just wish there was some additional encryption not that that would stop the NSA from wirejacking any network anyway.

I don't care what GOOGLE does, I know they are using my crap to sell me stuff, and I am fine with that deal (I get cool services, they sell me stuff) I have a huge issue with what the FED does with my info especially when we have rights and such (at least in theory we do)

We knew YEARS ago that the Google founders had previous NSA ties before starting Google. If you are shocked at all of this, then you have been asleep for a long, long time. Google was most likely started in order to act as a proxy of the NSA.

Holy tinfoil hats batman...

Back