Google Analytics Tracking

TheSpook

Limp Gawd
Greetings!

I run Google Analytics for a few websites (just personal stuff, nothing serious). Does anyone know of a way to track direct links to an image, video, non-HTML file on the site? I'd like to track something like:

www.mysite.com/picture.jpg

Analytics requires the inclusion of some specialized Google JavaScript on every webpage, but . . . well, that strategy doesn't work for direct links like the one above.

Thanks in advance!

See if your host has server-side analytics software. You can use that to track hits to anything hosted on your account.

For better or for worse, I am using DreamHost. Some perusing provided a very decent statistics tracker -- so thank you for that advice! It's just not as fancy-lookin' and pretty as GA ;).

No prob. I have AWStats installed on my server. I use Googe Analytics for the individual sites, but AW is great for taking a look at hits to images or other objects on the server.

AWStats looks to be exactly what I want, actually. I'm scanning their install FAQ right now, but (and I have very little experience with web stuff) do you think I will run into any permissions problems getting that to run on my little chunk of DreamHost's servers? This looks great.

AWStats looks to be exactly what I want, actually. I'm scanning their install FAQ right now, but (and I have very little experience with web stuff) do you think I will run into any permissions problems getting that to run on my little chunk of DreamHost's servers? This looks great.

It requires access to your Apache logs. If your host gives you access to them, you might be able to install it. It's really meant to be installed on a dedicated server though.

Dreamhost has AWStats already installed for every site I believe. If not the stats they provide are identical to AWStats.

Just installed AWStats and JAWStats -- time to wait a day to see if everything got installed correctly.

Thank you all for the links!

Just installed AWStats and JAWStats -- time to wait a day to see if everything got installed correctly.

Thank you all for the links!

Wow, thanks for JAWStats! I've been using AWStats for years and I've never heard of it. When you mentioned it, I had to go check it out! It looks sweet.

Have you successfully installed JAWStats?

My AWStats installation worked fine -- had a set of correctly-loading HTML pages and everything. I've followed Dreamhost's installation directions for JAWStats (twice now, actually), and still end up with the same message:

http://gannon-house.com/statistics/

I've checked -- there are no log files (or anything) being written to the data folder. Where do the log files get written to? I've checked the awstats.[site].conf file, and it looks like they are pointing to that folder.

I've also set up cron jobs to automatically update every hour.

Did you have to do anything special in this regard? I'm almost certain I've followed Dreamhost's instructions line for line.

Back