Google Chrome 5.0.375.29 Beta

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to the Google Chrome Blog, the latest Chrome beta is faster than ever thanks to significant speed and performance increases. Grab it if you want it, try it if you haven't.

Today’s new beta release incorporates one of Chrome’s most significant speed and performance increases to date, with 30% and 35% improvement on the V8 and SunSpider benchmarks over the previous beta channel release. In fact, looking back in time, Chrome’s performance has improved by as much as 213% and 305% on these two benchmarks since our very first beta.

i would constantly crash with all betas 5x until the last build .23. I'm a bit nervous to try this one since it would crash about 5x a day with all other builds. i couldn't downgrade after either. if you need .23 try filehippo

Every version I have tried I have had nothing but issues with. At this point, I just dont have any desire to give it a shot anymore.

The betas are pretty stable on my machine too, just installed this latest one last night, surfed to all my regular tech/politics sites, they all worked with no crashes.

Stability wise, never had a problem. Feature and UI wise ... big problems. Chrome isn't even an option to me. IE 7 is 'lightyears' behind Chrome in synthetic benchmarks yet pages load just as fast as any other browser for me.

faster than ever thanks to significant speed and performance increases.

Hmm, I figured speed and performance increases would make it slower. ;)

The only issue I've had with Chrome is with disappearing checkboxes, but that seems to have been resolved.

I'd happily use Firefox if it weren't so intolerable. Launch times are just too slow and the constant, incessant nagging...I just got tired of it. Chrome lets me surf without getting in the way or taking an eon to launch. I get all the features I need with only three small extensions.

Stability wise, never had a problem. Feature and UI wise ... big problems. Chrome isn't even an option to me. IE 7 is 'lightyears' behind Chrome in synthetic benchmarks yet pages load just as fast as any other browser for me.

So use IE8 :-P

Im using the new beta. I cant go back to IE, chrome is just way too fast. It loads instantly and screams on websites. IE goes as fast when you first install windows, then it always slowed way down over time.

I use Firefox. I was just pointing out the slowest browser vs the fastest, synthetic wise, still seems to load pages and navigate the web at the same speed.

oh, yeah I know what you mean. We've reached a point of diminishing returns, yet you still see browser boasting speed differences like 0.2 seconds is faster than 0.4 seconds.

Time for browser devs to stop worrying about speed and start considering stability, function, and security IMO.

I use Firefox. I was just pointing out the slowest browser vs the fastest, synthetic wise, still seems to load pages and navigate the web at the same speed.

Same here. Right out of the box, Chrome is way faster than Firefox. Once I throw on all of my extensions into both, the 2 browsers become identical in speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCgQDjiotG0

My god if you haven't seen this yet, you don't know what you're missing.

Google Chrome - FASTER THAN A POTATO!!!

Google must be one helluva fun place to work, I swear. This video is without a doubt one of the coolest things I've ever witnessed and I was laughing the entire time I watched it after I downloaded it.

Great stuff, not to be missed...

ps

This is the actual full blown speed video; the one in the OP link is the behind-the-scenes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCgQDjiotG0

My god if you haven't seen this yet, you don't know what you're missing.

Google Chrome - FASTER THAN A POTATO!!!

Google must be one helluva fun place to work, I swear. This video is without a doubt one of the coolest things I've ever witnessed and I was laughing the entire time I watched it after I downloaded it.

Great stuff, not to be missed...

Definitely cute, I like Chrome, they actually put finger panning for touch screens in this beta finally! Still needs some more work to work well with touch.

Love chrome and use it exclusively. Only time I don't is when watching Hulu, for some reason - at least with my computers - it isn't as smooth with the flash video.

Don't feel any issues with my current Chrome speed. Guess i'll just wait for the full version release

Thanks for the heads up btw

Yeah Chrome is so freaking fast now, don't know what these betas are going to do. Already load pages up in less than a second now with current chrome.

Well, look at it this way:

If you compared Chrome to any other browser when loading and displaying content - which is where the "fastest browser" part comes from - then it is the fastest browser. It displays content faster than any other browser out there, at least this newest beta version does.

Since Internet connections fluctuate almost 100% of the time, no speed is constant to any appreciable degree (don't even try to debate this point because there's no such thing as 100% consistent speeds over an Ethernet or Internet connection of any kind) I have no issues with Google's claim that Chrome is "the fastest browser."

If they were loading/displaying content that's stored locally on that machine in the test, I got no beef with it.

If people had to actually add their Internet connections/speeds into the benchmarking tests, you couldn't get any kind of baseline, so... in proper testing you'd time the loading of a page of code off the local storage, hence you can create a baseline that you can measure across several browsers all installed on the same OS at the same time.

My god, anyone that loads Chrome just once instantly can see just how insanely fast it is. Speed isn't everything in a browser, however, and that's why Chrome will never be my "browser of choice." That's Firefox, and it will be for a long long time to come. A few milliseconds difference in page loading times, irrelevant to me in the overall big picture.

But Chrome is the fastest, bar none, at least for the moment. How it proves it's the fastest isn't really that much of a big deal, is it? Do people online really nitpick stuff to such insane degrees?

Apparently so...

But Chrome is the fastest, bar none, at least for the moment. How it proves it's the fastest isn't really that much of a big deal, is it? Do people online really nitpick stuff to such insane degrees?

Apparently so...
Think about Google's ultimate goal with Chrome and Chrome OS, though: Browser-based access to all applications. Browser speed has more meaning when you move beyond file downloads and uploads, and into client-side processing.

With a fast browser (and a reasonably fast network connection), asynchronous server updates means you might never know that you're in the Cloud.

Well, look at it this way:

If you compared Chrome to any other browser when loading and displaying content - which is where the "fastest browser" part comes from - then it is the fastest browser. It displays content faster than any other browser out there, at least this newest beta version does.

Since Internet connections fluctuate almost 100% of the time, no speed is constant to any appreciable degree (don't even try to debate this point because there's no such thing as 100% consistent speeds over an Ethernet or Internet connection of any kind) I have no issues with Google's claim that Chrome is "the fastest browser."

If they were loading/displaying content that's stored locally on that machine in the test, I got no beef with it.

If people had to actually add their Internet connections/speeds into the benchmarking tests, you couldn't get any kind of baseline, so... in proper testing you'd time the loading of a page of code off the local storage, hence you can create a baseline that you can measure across several browsers all installed on the same OS at the same time.

My god, anyone that loads Chrome just once instantly can see just how insanely fast it is. Speed isn't everything in a browser, however, and that's why Chrome will never be my "browser of choice." That's Firefox, and it will be for a long long time to come. A few milliseconds difference in page loading times, irrelevant to me in the overall big picture.

Apparently so...

That was a fun read. You flirted with the point and then veered off in the other direction. Your only saving grace is that you came full circle and stumbled over it anyway.

Back