Google is Stomping Chrome Bugs

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to this news item the latest developer version of Chrome (version 2.0.169.0) has stomped about 162 bugs. Those of you interested can see a detailed list of the 150 bug fixes here.

Chrome 2.0.169.0 is a version of the browser geared for people who want the latest builds and are willing to put up with bugs and crashes. It's also a preview of things to come in the more reliable "stable" and "beta" versions.

Even though this is a good thing (to see some kind of progress being made with anything), I doubt like all the rest, that it will ever get to a final version. "Forever Beta" is Google's motto.

lol I JUST installed Chrome and didn't even know they moved up to another version.

My lack of awareness is excellent.

When they've added Autoscroll using the middle mouse button/wheel, and a Zoom feature that doesn't distort the layout of the page, I might give Chrome a second try. IE, Firefox, Safari, Opera etc. support this...

I'm using it now. I like the layout and fast loading. I use privoxy for ad blocking. It does have some bugs and the lack of a home page button bugs the crap out of me, but other than that it's golden and minimalist.

I'm using it now. I like the layout and fast loading. I use privoxy for ad blocking. It does have some bugs and the lack of a home page button bugs the crap out of me, but other than that it's golden and minimalist.
You can add that, it's somewhere in options (don't have it installed on my desktop).

When they've added Autoscroll using the middle mouse button/wheel, and a Zoom feature that doesn't distort the layout of the page, I might give Chrome a second try. IE, Firefox, Safari, Opera etc. support this...

Both of those things happened back in early January if you're using the 2.x dev builds.

Did they give the option to move the tab bar to the bottom? Not touching it til they do.

The tab bar being at the top is a functional move versus an aesthetic one. Personally, I like the effeciency. I updated to the 2.169 and it's pretty nifty. Very responsive and has a few of the features that seemed no brainers but didn't exist in 1.0

firefox's smart bar is something I do kind of miss though. It seems a lot smarter than google's

The tab bar being at the top is a functional move versus an aesthetic one. Personally, I like the effeciency. I updated to the 2.169 and it's pretty nifty. Very responsive and has a few of the features that seemed no brainers but didn't exist in 1.0

Care to explain? I do want to use Chrome again as I like it's simplicity, but the tab bar is the reason I'm not for it.

It's part of google's independent tabs. That is the title of the page, as well as an individual tab you can drag wherever you want. It's a unique little browser in code and in the UI. I dunno, it just makes sense to me, and being able to plunk them wherever you want is just intuitive according to their placement.

When they've added Autoscroll using the middle mouse button/wheel,

Bingo. It's annoying to no end. Google seems to come up with really great applications, but they never seem to polish them up and make them fully functional. I realize it's a beta, but not adding the ability to use a wheel mouse is just flat out lazy.

No script blocking and no plugin blocking means no Chrome for me. That's too bad because it's a nice browser...

Even though this is a good thing (to see some kind of progress being made with anything), I doubt like all the rest, that it will ever get to a final version. "Forever Beta" is Google's motto.

qft. Like their product search "Froogle", still on beta, lol

Privoxy wants you to edit a text file by hand with stuff like this:

{ -crunch-incoming-cookies -crunch-outgoing-cookies -session-cookies-only }
.login.yahoo.com

{ fragile }
# Gmail is ...
mail.google.com

Be sure to flush your browser's caches whenever making these kinds of changes, just to make sure the changes "take".

Then it wants you to treat your browser like a toilet and "flush the cache" by hand lol. I'd rather not pretend I'm admining a Linux system while I'm just trying to watch a stupid video of a cat on a treadmill lol. I'd rather just allow the site with 2 clicks in a period of 2 seconds and get on with my browsing. Google needs real support for stuff like noscript and abp, Privoxy is an extremely unlazy hack to the problem, its like 1/2 a solution.

Privoxy wants you to edit a text file by hand with stuff like this:
Maybe I'm just a noob but I've never done that. I like having a lightweight browser and loading gmail in like .01 seconds is nice. More than makes up for occassionally having to load a site in ie.

Maybe I'm just a noob but I've never done that. I like having a lightweight browser and loading gmail in like .01 seconds is nice. More than makes up for occassionally having to load a site in ie.

Well all it means is that you are much more vulnerable to any one of the bajillion javascript exploits yet to be discovered/fixed. Every browser that exists should have a whitelist for javascript and plugin capability, and it should work on a per domain basis.

Back