Got 6grand i wanna uber pc

Kaash

Limp Gawd
Okay i finally got enough saved to get my dream computer and monitor. i REALLY want a 30inch so i need to take away 1500 from the 6k. so 4500 bucks to get build or purchase a computer. what would you get?

If you really have to spend all that money on one computer...I'd spend about half of it on SSDs. For $2k you can get a top of the line machine (sans monitor), and with the remaining $2.5k you can probably buy enough SSDs to not need a hard drive.

On second thought, maybe I'd just get two 30" monitors...

Last edited:
2 grand is just enough for a CPU and the 2 GPU's i'll need to run the 30inch

6 grand is enough to build 3 computers just like that

6 grand is enough to build one max system, 1 HTPC, 1 file server, and get 3 monitors

I guess we have different tastes. I wouldn't have gone crazy with the GPUs.

yeah even if i had tha tkind of cash, i'd honestly go with a single gpu solution

Get a couple of projectors running small enough to fit across your wall and get Eyefinity.
Sadly 3D capable projectors (120Hz) are a fortune for 1080p res, 720p are affordable though.
You cant have both 3D and multi display for gaming at the moment anyway as ATI dont do 3D and NVidias multi monitor solution hasnt been released.
You may be able to prepare for the future a bit though.

I so want to do this but am limited to just one projector due to lack of space.
Instead I'm getting a 1080p projector (Epson 6100 or UK version TW3500) and am looking into changing the FOV to get the same screen spread as 2 or 3 displays (reducing vertical resolution to suit) and sitting closer, hopefully this can be done without too much hassle.

Last edited:
I'd go with the 6 core coming out, 4ssd's for raid 0, 1tb black for storage and a Fermi card (when released)

hell, get yourself a decent i7 @ 4+ghz, 6gb (or 12 if you just wanna spend money), 4x ssd's on a nice areca raid card, 1200w psu, tri sli or tri-fire, and a 3008wfp.

Core i7 extreme edition 675, 3.33GHz liquid cooled, dual 5870 1GB gpu liquid cooled, 12GB ram 1333Mhz, 128GB SSD, 2x 1TB hdd raid 0, killer nic card, Thinking about Razer Mako speakers, razer mamba mouse, razer tarantula keyboard, 30 inch dell monitor, window 7 64bit

stick with intel g2's, ditch the 675 and get the lower end model and oc (your watercooling so why not), ditch the killer nic (horrible idea). Stay away from the mako's and get a real speaker setup. 12gb @ 1600 or even 2000mhz instead of 1333. for your budget, why not upgrade the 1tb in raid 0 to 2tb's in raid 0.
and for the love of god, please make sure you have a backup plan and make damn sure that its included in your budget.

i'm no expert in watercooling by any means, but I know that's going to be one hot ass loop so make sure you hit up the watercooling guides and subforum to get advice on how to get all that heat in check.

6 grand is enough to build 3 computers just like that

6 grand is enough to build one max system, 1 HTPC, 1 file server, and get 3 monitors

This is what I would do for sure.

Only I probably wouldn't go with 3 monitors, maybe 2 at the most. 30" is a lot of real estate, if I needed "bigger" then I'd go with something like a 55" LED TV, but then again. I'd probably do that anyway, for my awesome HTPC that I'd build with that kind of money..

I really think this guy is looking for a parts list so he can begin purchasing the things he will need though. Granted, we do need to find out exactly what he wants.

honestly with 6 grand

i'd definitely build 3 pc's

one max'd out system, one HTPC, and one file server to use as a storage

on the max'd out system i'd get 1 or 2 big SSD's and just offload everything to the file server that i'm not using, or just stream movies from the HTPC to my PC (if i wanted to watch it on the monitor instead of TV)

so many options, but with 6 grand, you best believe i'm getting 3 PC's out of that

you can build a HTPC and file server both for under a grand

that leaves 5k to spend on the max'd out system

BUT

you could get one max'd out system, and one max'd out laptop as well

that's very very appealing as well

and no, i wouldn't buy alienware, i'd buy from xoticpc, they have an i7 920 laptop available for just over 2.2 g's

I think my "maxed out" PC would be a laptop, since I'm on a gaming laptop now. It's what I use mostly. Not sure which company I would go with, this one here is a maxed out e1705 from '07. So I'd have to do some research on who has the best gaming laptop for the buck now-a-days.

Though having a nice ass PC would be nice, but I still think I'd rather a nice laptop w/ 30" external monitor, HTPC and a file server with as much storage as I could afford. 6 SATA slots? No problem. 6x2TB hard drives then.

Okay i finally got enough saved to get my dream computer and monitor. i REALLY want a 30inch so i need to take away 1500 from the 6k. so 4500 bucks to get build or purchase a computer. what would you get?

If this is a serious inquiry, please answer the stickied "ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS FIRST!!!" so that we can help you better.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
--Gaming
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$6000, please include S&H
3) Where do you live?
Misawa Japan APO address
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. Please be very specific.
SSD, dual GPU to run max settings on 99.9% of games on a 30inch monitor
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
no reuse parts
6) Will you be overclocking?
i want to OC but i am scared bleeping it up
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
plan on 3008WFP 30-inch Dell
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
in about 2 weeks, though might wait till new nvidia cards come out and the 6 core.
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
raid, firewire, sli and crossfire support dont know which cards i'm buying yet. esata, lots of sata ports more than 6 if possible
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? need an OS window 7 64bit version

A lot of users would be glad to help you with OC'ing if you will do your preliminary homework. That said, a 5970 or dual 5870's would afford you loads of e-peen, and only cost you around $700. Even a poorly priced i7-920 can be found for $300. That's $1000, instead of $2000. I'm almost positive Kyle runs a 920, and it's generally seen as the "real enthusiast" CPU. If you learn how to overclock (heck, I did); you'll save yourself $700 and lose basically zero performance.

so the new -*intel cpu with 6 cores is over kill and waste of cash? what about the new GPU from nvidia that are coming out eventually.?

so the new -*intel cpu with 6 cores is over kill and waste of cash? what about the new GPU from nvidia that are coming out eventually.?

I think its safe to say that no one knows the answer to those questions but its a fair assumption that they will be better then their predecessors. It is hard to say by how much without having seen them yet.

So in ya'll opinion should i wait to see and just purchase the 3008wfp ?

it'll also cost you a grand

why don't you strongly consider building one max'd out system and building a HTPC and File Server

or getting a max'd out system and a max'd out laptop?

you can afford any of that

If you are kinda sketchy on overclocking, I would not do it period. That being said me working with I7 a few times It is a very simple process to overclock than what I am used to doing and like said I am sure people here will give you a hand on that.

I really do not see why people are pushing the whole build 2-3 diff systems. What if he does not need or desire to have a HTPC or file server?

I say wait it out and see what new things come out and then build with that when you have a decent selection of hardware to go with. I am still surprised people have not suggested or linked a full build by now. Wake up Danny.

because with that kind of money he can get more?

who wouldn't want a good laptop to go along with a good desktop with a 6 grand budget?

because with that kind of money he can get more?

who wouldn't want a good laptop to go along with a good desktop with a 6 grand budget?

Reread what I said. If thats out of the question. I repeat it.

''What if he does not need or desire....''

If he came in here asking for more than a dream Pc recommendation then excuse my response and continue but I see he did not.

ok fine mr. know it all

recommend away

be useful

I already chimed in on what I thought of the recommendations said to Kaash. Also me correcting you and showing you what the op came in here for originally is not being a ''know it all''. Just sayin. ;)

Heh, if the OP has $6000 to spend on a PC, I am sure there would be no problem picking up a laptop whenever it is needed, on a separate budget. I, too, was waiting on Danny Bui, enginurd, tiraides, etc. to chime in, but if they don't suggest something by this evening, I'll give it a go.

Honestly, $6000 is a massive budget for a PC, but it is not unfathomable. If there's no need for two computers, that's just as bad as overspending on one, in my opinion. I just hope the OP is aware of the severe diminishing returns that typically occur above $2000. You are talking about paying $3000+ for maybe a 5-10% performance boost. But hey, not everybody cares about these things, and I respect that.

I own a PC Core 2 Quad 2.40Ghz, 4gig ram, 4970x2 on a 24inch monitor. I play Eq2 i can't run it on quality settings still...well depending on what zone i'm in. I also own a pretty decent laptop, its a hateway Fx, Centrino 2 process, 4gig ddr3 ram, i forget what GPU but has dedicated 1GB mem to it. Bought that laptop just ayear ago when it was released last Dec.

With me wanting to get a 30inch monitor i wanted an beast of a machine to run that rez.

So the new Intel CPU with 6 cores is overkill and waste of cash? What about the new GPU's from NVIDIA that are coming out eventually?
Well, no, I wouldn't necessarily say that. Sorry, I read the "675" up there as "975", thinking you were considering their $1000 Extreme Edition quad-core CPU. The only hexacore I've read about is the i7-980X. Maybe I've been out of the loop? Regarding the GPU, I think expectations are pretty high for Fermi. That said, NVIDIA definitely seems to be behind the 8-ball at the moment, and ATI has plenty of time to work up their refresh cards. In my opinion, there's no harm in waiting if you have time to kill, but more than likely Fermi will just serve as a price-point competitor for lowering prices, and as fodder for the ATI refresh. But I don't think anyone can say whether or not it's a waste of cash until we see how it performs.

Last edited:
This is what you really need for an X58-based system:

Core i7 920
Overclocking-friendly X58 board (like the Asus P6T Deluxe V2)
One 3x2GB tri-channel kit of DDR3 1600 RAM @ 1.5V
One X25-M G2 60-120GB SSD -or- two 30-60GB SSDs in RAID 0
One 500+GB HDD (for storage/backup)
One HD 5970 or two HD5870s in CrossFire mode
A PSU of at least 750 watts with 80 Plus certification and at least 70A on its combined 12V rails

The cost of everything above, plus the cost of a case, OS, and watercooling parts, shouldn't be more than $2500 before shipping becomes a factor. Spending any more for "better" parts would push you beyond the point of diminishing returns.

To be honest, most games are largely GPU driven, which makes even the above "list" overkill for any resolution below 1920x1200. Few games are "optimized" to take full advantage of a quad-core processor, and most games don't need more than 4GB of RAM to run properly.

This is what you really need for an X58-based system:

Core i7 920
Overclocking-friendly X58 board (like the Asus P6T Deluxe V2)
One 3x2GB tri-channel kit of DDR3 1600 RAM @ 1.5V
One X25-M G2 60-120GB SSD -or- two 30-60GB SSDs in RAID 0
One 500+GB HDD (for storage/backup)
One HD 5970 or two HD5870s in CrossFire mode
A PSU of at least 750 watts with 80 Plus certification and at least 70A on its combined 12V rails

The cost of everything above, plus the cost of a case, OS, and watercooling parts, shouldn't be more than $2500 before shipping becomes a factor. Spending any more for "better" parts would push you beyond the point of diminishing returns.

To be honest, most games are largely GPU driven, which makes even the above "list" overkill for any resolution below 1920x1200. Few games are "optimized" to take full advantage of a quad-core processor, and most games don't need more than 4GB of RAM to run properly.

this here is exactly why I was suggesting he build one max system and a couple others

279.99 Corsair Obsidian 800D Full Tower
394.99 EVGA E760 CLASSIFIED 3-Way SLI EATX Motherboard
819.98 XFX Radeon HD 5870 1GB [X2]
259.99 Enermax REVOLUTION85+ 950W PSU
288.99 Intel Core i7-920 130W Quad-Core Processor
1617.00 Intel X25-M Mainstream 160GB SSD [X3]
334.99 12GB G.SKILL PI Series 12GB DDR3-1600
209.98 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black [X2]

SUB 4205.91

Just an idea for you to check out.

Unfortunately, this build does fall in a sort of limbo where new hardware that has been talked up for months is finally around the corner, but is still a bit far off to wait for. And yes, new hardware will always be around the corner, but the Gulftown release is very high profile, and will probably be the most significant release of the foreseeable future. What effect will it have on gaming? Who knows? I wouldn't wager much, but of course, if you wanted to make an allowance for the 6-core Gulftown you could always knock two SSD's off of the build, and put that money away for your upgrade. At least that way you can be gaming maniacally in the meantime. :D

Not unless you want to run them in something other than RAID1 or RAID0. IIRC, these are typically on-board.

Last edited:
btw that is a beautiful Case. love the cable holes for behind the motherboard

279.99 Corsair Obsidian 800D Full Tower
394.99 EVGA E760 CLASSIFIED 3-Way SLI EATX Motherboard
819.98 XFX Radeon HD 5870 1GB [X2]
259.99 Enermax REVOLUTION85+ 950W PSU
288.99 Intel Core i7-920 130W Quad-Core Processor
1617.00 Intel X25-M Mainstream 160GB SSD [X3]
334.99 12GB G.SKILL PI Series 12GB DDR3-1600
209.98 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black [X2]

SUB 4205.91

Just an idea for you to check out.

Unfortunately, this build does fall in a sort of limbo where new hardware that has been talked up for months is finally around the corner, but is still a bit far off to wait for. And yes, new hardware will always be around the corner, but the Gulftown release is very high profile, and will probably be the most significant release of the foreseeable future. What effect will it have on gaming? Who knows? I wouldn't wager much, but of course, if you wanted to make an allowance for the 6-core Gulftown you could always knock two SSD's off of the build, and put that money away for your upgrade. At least that way you can be gaming maniacally in the meantime. :D

wasn't aware newegg shipped to japan.

Whats the deal with that address OP? $6000 US in US means a whole lot more than $6000 US in JA.

Last edited:
On a 6k $ budget (ludicrous) I would advice a 6 screen eyefinity. 4*6GB hex-channel for RAMDRIVE.

I would wait a few more months for..

Ultra thin bezel monitors from samsung
Gulftown from Intel
Fermi from Nvidia/refresh from ATI (should be abit faster)
Sandforce enterprise SSDs

All due in spring.

is the new thin bezel from samsung a 30inch? thats what i want to get with the new PC. so take about 1600 away from the 6000 for the monitor the rest goes towards the PC

I'd spend about 2k on the computer and spend the rest on hookers and booze. That's what I'd do. No need to spend anymore than 2k on a rig.

Some alternative options:
-Build two rigs instead. (gotta have a contingency plan)
-Or get a laptop like someone suggested.
-Or just get another 30.
-Or just save the money.

RAID0 SSDs and multiple GPUs is what I'd be investing in if you're out for the best experience you can get with those 30's and the idea of your dream system. I'm too lazy to look up some parts, but maybe I'll post one up if I get bored.

BECOME BORED lol

i wouldnl't mind doing the whole 3d display but i went from a 19inch to a Benq v2400w 24inch display and now i want BIGGER...and no not TV big i want the added rez from a monitor 30inch.

I already have a desktop and a laptop. this is the first time i can go above and beyond on a system build and not have to compromise on parts.

Last edited:
Back