Got a Network+ today, advice for others...

MartinX

One Hour Martinizing While You Wait
The only study material I used was the Exam Cram2 book, for those interested in such things, it really isn't enough.

I have a few years of networking behind me so I was only using it to get a bit of an exam taking vibe/mindset going on, but I can say to anyone with little/light experience that the content of the EC2 book doesn't cover everything to the extent that the exam really requires, so don't rely on it.

As for myself, I think not ever having touched Appletalk, Novell or any networking equipment that didn't use TP or fibre is what stopped me from getting the full 900 (that and those weird comptia questions that have more than one perfectly viable answer...) but other than that it really is a piss easy exam.

so myself, having little experience with appletalk, none with novell and such, networking for awhile, what else do you recommned to study from besides Cram2?

I think if I took my Network+ it would help me out abit more when I finished my Network Enginnering Technology in school.

SIlverSkull said:
so myself, having little experience with appletalk, none with novell and such, networking for awhile, what else do you recommned to study from besides Cram2?

I think if I took my Network+ it would help me out abit more when I finished my Network Enginnering Technology in school.

For this particular exam, I don't really know, because the Exam Cram was all I looked at, but for other exams I've found Sybexs study guides to be pretty well rounded and well put together.

I don't want to be overly harsh of the EC books though, they don't pretend to be a fully comprehensive training course, and they seem to fulfil the purpose for which they are designed pretty well, which I suppose is refreshing existing knowledge rather than filling in gaps in your knowledge, this was just a warning for people who aren't reasonably strong with networking at that (entry) level already not to put their faith in it alone, in many areas the questions on the Net+ went just a little deeper than was covered by the EC book.

the Sybex Network+ study guide is very good, i can't fault it at all for covering what you need to know. i'm also finding some parts of it useful in studing for my CCNA

I used the All-in-One Network+ and Exam Cram2 to pass Network+. I passed easily with an 874. How did everyone else score?

DragonNOA1 said:
I used the All-in-One Network+ and Exam Cram2 to pass Network+. I passed easily with an 874. How did everyone else score?

I only got 846, but in retrospect I don't think anything was asked where the knowledge didn't exist in my head somewhere, at least some of my incorrect answers were down to comptias stupid wording of questions (and sometimes the answers), which is quite annoying.
But that aspect of comptia exams is pretty well documented (and mentioned in the intro of just about every study guide that I've seen).

Another tip for potential takers:

Read the question carefully, AND read all the answers carefully, if "A" is correct don't simply select it and move on, "B" might be more correct. :rolleyes:

Back