Got a Nexus 7 32gb for Christmas...advice needed.

So I have a brand new Nexus 7 32gb sitting on my desk which I received as a Christmas gift. Quick Google reveals that there is no micro sd slot and no rear facing camera. Everything else sounds good. Anyone have one? Do you love it or hate it? Anything better in the $250-$300 range? Thanks for the advice. :)

A friend has one, nothing better for android. If you like apple, consider a mini for more money. I'm happy with my Nexus 10. There are lots of YouTube reviews for both.

Not terribly weird - you're just looking at it the wrong way :)

My wife has a 32G Nexus 7 and loves it. It has absolutely no expandable storage, but the 32G has been plenty thus far (we don't store movies on it, the apps are small, and she does not use it as a music player, but she could). The USB port is for charging/updating the device, and it is a client device in all cases (i.e. you hook it up to a computer, it is not itself a computer you hook other devices to. Much like you can't connect a computer to another computer via straight-up USB). The lack of a rear camera is also not any kind of an issue as taking pictures with tablets is super-awkward. Within those limitations you have the fastest and highest quality $250 tablet money can buy. Comparable units tend to cost ~$100 more. I've heard Google doesn't really make any money on these things.

My wife has a 32G Nexus 7 and loves it. It has absolutely no expandable storage, but the 32G has been plenty thus far (we don't store movies on it, the apps are small, and she does not use it as a music player, but she could). The USB port is for charging/updating the device, and it is a client device in all cases (i.e. you hook it up to a computer, it is not itself a computer you hook other devices to. Much like you can't connect a computer to another computer via straight-up USB). The lack of a rear camera is also not any kind of an issue as taking pictures with tablets is super-awkward. Within those limitations you have the fastest and highest quality $250 tablet money can buy. Comparable units tend to cost ~$100 more. I've heard Google doesn't really make any money on these things.

Do you work for Google? If you don't, you should because that was the best post about this tablet that I've read on the interwebs tonight. :)

Do you work for Google? If you don't, you should because that was the best post about this tablet that I've read on the interwebs tonight. :)

I really don't, but I was very surprised at how much I liked the one I bought for my wife. I had tried an Ice Cream Sandwich based 7" tablet before buying this one (Craig 7" ICS tablet from Rite Aid), and the interface improvements between ICS and the current Jelly Bean made a world of difference. The Nexus was way faster as well, but that was expected and I did not fault the other tablet for that - it really was reasonably responsive. I just found ICS itself kind of maddeningly irritating to use and there was no way to upgrade it. I returned it and tried the Nexus 7 instead and found it to be a much better experience.

If you've ever bought any of the Humble Bundles, you may even have (good) games for it. The XBMC Android port works on it as well. I've used it to watch movies in bed while the wife was sleeping (Hardware accelerated H264 does not work yet in XBMC on the Nexus 7, but SD resolution movies software decode at full speed). Overall it is a neat device and I don't regret buying it.

Its a good device, yes it doesn't have an SD card but with 32gb of memory that really is a non issue. It's very fast and android 4.2 runs flawlessly.

You don't own an iPad by any chance? ;)

Uhh you can hook USB stuff to it you need an otg cable they are about $1 on amazon. Google hire me plz.

Actually, on a 7-inch tablet a rear camera is useful. You can hold this in one hand just like a big phone.

And cannot do it no matter what on an iPad....

Use the $180 you saved on the 32gb ipad mini and buy a $3.00 app my friend! :D

This is not an iPad/Nexus war...he needed to know that he needed an app to make the usb thing work. There are other android tablets that offer this free...so google is working against folks by trying to be like Apple.

Why does every conversation have to turn into a damn war on which tablet? And by the way, there are options to have expandable storage on the iPad.

I have the 16GB version. It's a great tablet. If you have a phone, then you don't really need a rear camera, but at this price point, things have to be left out. 32GB is plenty, especially if you take advantage of other options to get content on there.

I've been having some problems typing posts like this on mine, though. I'm not exactly sure why. Some are saying to use the swype keyboard, but I haven't warmed up to that yet. Working it.

It plays games well.

I like that it has pure Jelly Bean.....and no other stuff. You will always get the new updates to Android first, though Google seems to be working against what people expect on Android tablets these days (no usb, no slot).

I have several tablets (and have had several others ones) and this is definitely on the keeper list. Samsung makes some good tablets, but they seem pricey but they have more features, so you get what you pay for.

I would keep it, I have a Nexus in 32GB and it is plenty of storage. I bought the cable and the app to be able to use mass storage devices. I probably will not use them very often though, as most things I do on the tablet can be uploaded to my dropbox.

Same here, the 32gigs on my tablet is more than enough. I've barely tapped into the 64 gigs on my wife's ipad.

I have had a 32gb iPad for 2.5 yrs now and the only time I was ever forced to shuffle stuff to make room was when I was on vacation and wanted to update iOS via wifi.

I also just got a 32gb Nexus 7. I love the thing. I actually was going to sell it since my Galaxy Note 2 is taking over a lot of the duties of the Nexus, but this thread has me second guessing now.

If you don't have another tablet, keep it. It's a great tablet.

My wife constantly steals my N7, and prefers it over her 10" Toshiba Thrive. It's a great little device. It travels well; get stuck in an airport with Wifi, and you can watch Netflix for hours.

Don't forget the 20GB of space El Goog gives you for music on their servers for streaming to your android devices. I love my N7 16GB

I got one for Christmas and couldn't love it more. After having the iPad (2), the size and flexibility make all the difference (not trying to start/continue a fight - just saying). I can stream video to and even from it, install whatever I want on it, and Android certainly has come a long way since 2.2 which was the version on the last Android device I owned. It's the first time I've had truly top-of-the-line (until Tegra 4 anyway) portable hardware and it's a pleasure to use.

Its flaws have been covered pretty well here. It's unfortunate that there's no memory expansion available but at 32GB you can still carry a respectable number of audio files and even several hours of non-HD video. If you transfer stuff to your "cloud" of choice, it's easy enough to change what's in memory even on the go.

Another thing I consider somewhat of a flaw is the NFC (near-field communication) feature. It's not supported widely enough in apps yet to be really convenient, at least it wasn't when a friend and I were sitting at Starbucks playing dueling Nexuses. When it worked it was super fast but the devices have to be so close and the app has to support it properly, so we found it much easier, if slower, to use Bluetooth/WiFi and set up a peer-to-peer network.

Bottom line: This is the most fun I've had with a portable device since I installed a front-lighting mod in my first-gen Gameboy Advance. ;)

PS - My kindly old mother also bought the $20 "Nexus 7 cover" to go with it and I love that too. It's nothing fancy, just a nicely designed, form-fitting rubber cover that adds as little as possible to the size of the tablet while protecting it from casual scratching and such. Even with the cover the Nexus 7 fits into most of my pockets (even the hip pockets of some of my jeans) so I go nowhere without it.

Back