Got a Sony HS95p tonight......eyes hurting a bit

MJGunn

Weaksauce
Any ideas whats causing this? Normally, I'm not the type to have problems like this, but my eyes seem to be straining quite a bit. I've got a fairly bright halogen lamp in the room too, so its not like its the only source of bright light in the area. Is this just a case of my eyes having to get used to the LCD?

I'm no monitor expert, but I'd say eyestrain generally comes from CRTs and not LCDs. Where is the pain? Is it like a pain from staring at the sun (retina), or more of the muscles controlling your eyes?

If the settings are similar to the hs94p you could try these. Set the color to srgb instead of the normal color temperatures. It will set your contrast and color temp to the standard RGB settings which should be optimal for viewing things as they should be. Set the brightness between 40 and 45 and the backlight anywhere from 30 to 40 for whatever your preference is.

That's the same panel that was on my Viewsonic VP912B.
Same problem, it gave me headaches. Whites were way too bright.
If I adjusted the contrast and brightness so it was tolerable, then all the colors
looked bad. I could never get it right so I returned it.
Right now I'm looking at something like the Dell 2001FP. Lower brightness levels, tighter dot pitch, fairly low pixel refresh rate.
Good luck with your Sony.

I'm no monitor expert, but I'd say eyestrain generally comes from CRTs and not LCDs.

That's a myth. LCD creates eye strain too and a good CRT will be easier on the eyes than most lcds....

Anyway when i had my sony i noticed this problem as well. My eyes hurt more than running my crappy old crt at 60hz. It's due to the brightness of the screen. You can turn it down but then you sacrafice image quality.

Cygnus_X1 said:
Same problem, it gave me headaches. Whites were way too bright.

Same here. The brightness on these panels are simply too high.
When I used the HS94P I had to alternate between the LOW brightness profile, and the USER mode in which I lowered the brightness to as low as 15%.

At this point all the colors faded out...

Back