Got an odd problem logging into XP

Hades12

Limp Gawd
So I cleaned a Hard Drive for a friend and have put it back into their computer, it boots to the login screen I can pick a user name and enter the password, it says logging in flashes the background then says logging out and goes back to the login screen. I booted to safe mode to create a new user but it does the same thing. I am unsure how to continue.

Thanks

I had a workstation 2 weeks ago with that symptom, the user got whacked back with some malware, even after slaving the drive to our bench machine and giving it a thorough cleaning and removing tons of the rogue/fake alert.

userinit.exe from the windows\system32 folder got tanked, you'll have to copy that same file from a good working XP machine of the same service pack level, and copy it in place of the same file on the hosed system, overwriting the old file. Worked for me on this computer, as it has on several ones with the same issue over the years before.

Last edited:
I have seen this multiple times. It is caused by a Malware infection. There are several "fixes" on the net but none worked for me. Even a repair on xp yielded the same results. Backup, format, and reinstall was the final resolve.

Cheers!

Huh, I just ran in to this. Good to know there is an easy fix, but I wiped and reloaded anyway.

I was editing my typo too..had written "with Come malware". :D
Dang this head cold....just staying indoors today and doing remote work.

Thanks guys, I will give it a try. hope the machine was a sp3.

I can wipe it but it is nice when I you can fix the current install, makes people happy to keep everything.

I had a workstation 2 weeks ago with that symptom, the user got whacked back with some malware, even after slaving the drive to our bench machine and giving it a thorough cleaning and removing tons of the rogue/fake alert.

userinit.exe from the windows\system32 folder got tanked, you'll have to copy that same file from a good working XP machine of the same service pack level, and copy it in place of the same file on the hosed system, overwriting the old file. Worked for me on this computer, as it has on several ones with the same issue over the years before.

Would you happen to have the file from an XP home machine that you could send me. all I have is xp Pro.

Back