got hundred bucks need an htpc help plz

• Thread starter Deleted member 82943
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 82943

So I almost on a whim bought the top end roku box for 99 dollars but thought I should probably check with my [H] homies before I did.

Here are what I think my options are:

build or buy a used box the problem there is that it probably wont be as silent as a specific box from say roku or boxee would be. the upside is that i could make it play all the formats of music and tv and movies that I have (MKV, MP4, AVI etc)

buy a roku, boxee, or some other player - apple tv maybe upside - easier, has an interface etc, and silent

I have a projector that does 1024x768 and accepts composite out and vga inputs. I have an 802.11n network and I want to be able to stream my 1080p movies to the box (I know it wont at all output at 1080p but I dont want to have to re-encode them down to a lower speed).

Suggestions are helpful thanks!

$120

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103698
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138283
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134637

Just $20 more, you might be able to find them cheaper but that's a pretty good start.
I have an 802.11n network and I want to be able to stream my 1080p movies to the box (I know it wont at all output at 1080p but I dont want to have to re-encode them down to a lower speed).
Yeah, good luck with that. Most likely you won't be able to cause wireless tends to suck for streaming anything higher then 720p video. Moral of the story: go wired for the best possible experience.

I have a wireless n as well and it skips like crazy if I try to stream. I agree with above poster to go with wire.

100 if a tight limit if you need to buy the entire box (case, drives, cpu, mobo, vid card, etc etc)

On the issue of sound i have a case with an intake and exhaust fan 120mm. vid card is fanless. The thing really quiet. I can't even hear it when its on actually and thats sitting 2 ft from it.

Yeah ive noticed that streaming hi def stuff causes it to skip terribly. I wonder if you can get vlc to buffer better or is it a physical limit with the wireless tech? 54mbit /8 = 6.75 MB/s yet i only get 1.5mb/s

Thanks for the newegg links. I guess you guys shy away from the oem boxes?

looking to rearrange the room and hardwire the x360. If I run media center on the x360 will I have to re-encode mkvs to mp4?

Pretty sure there is some addon for 360 that will let you play mkv's google around should find it. And Roku is nice for kids/gf but it's kind of lacking.

i ended up re-arranging the room. I put the projector next to the router and the laptop behind it and wired teh laptop to the router and hooked the laptop to the projector. Problem solved. It's not the greatest setup but it's decent. and when i want to kick back it works just fine - best thing is no out of pocket cost really.

thanks guys for all the tips, sorry my budget was so small

Back