Got my 260GTX back From Viper John

piece of cake ...want me to keep going..:)

260.jpg

Umm yea, is it Furmark and ATI tool stable? Anyone can just push it up and take a snap in GPU-Z. Also your shader is only 1512.

I'm sure Crosshairs' video card can do much farther overclocks than Dnottis' because of all the voltage upgrades on it. I could be wrong, but that's a very fucking nice work that Viper John did to your card. It's awesome, keep it up!

Thanks for the support guys, but Ill play along.

Umm yea, is it Furmark and ATI tool stable? Anyone can just push it up and take a snap in GPU-Z. Also your shader is only 1512.

The shaders are linked, that's why its at 1512..

Here, I unlinked them and ran it up to 775/1260..and set the shaders to 1560 then I ran 3DMark06.... still not a problem.....

3Dgpu.jpg

We can do this all day, but its pretty much the equivalent of the guy with a $15.00 plastic wing on his Civic, challenging the guy with the NSX...They are both Hondas, so how bad could he lose.?

I guess we can always find out....:eek::eek:

You know what, the people that fling shit at you are just jealous,man.

If you are please with your purchase, that's all you need to say to me.:D
If your one card can give you the gaming performance you want, that's a good deal.

This reminds me of house remodeling, you can hire a pro and get the best or you can go to Lowes and cross your fingers.

Looks like you are very happy with your card, and that Viper guy got some free advertising.

Great card man, hope you're happy with it as that's all that matters.

Great work by Viper.

His bench chillers look amazing, great work by him!

And are you his favorite customer? If not you should be!:D

If your one card can give you the gaming performance you want, that's a good deal.

This reminds me of house remodeling, you can hire a pro and get the best or you can go to Lowes and cross your fingers.

Looks like you are very happy with your card, and that Viper guy got some free advertising.

Well said, why do as everyone tell when you can do it differently ;)

Mine have mem and core at stock but 1512 MHz on shaders, watercooled with a Fuzion GPU v2 and unisink. As soon as I exchange the card for the GTX 260 core 216 from EVGA step-up, I'm gonna push to see if I can match yours :D

Thanks for the support guys, but Ill play along.

The shaders are linked, that's why its at 1512..

Here, I unlinked them and ran it up to 775/1260..and set the shaders to 1560 then I ran 3DMark06.... still not a problem.....
Card looks good. Have you pushed it any higher? What voltage are you actually running at? Anyway, curious to see more :).

I just bought a 260 this afternoon. I highly doubt it will OC close to OP. I have no plan to do WC, but nice to know what these card can do....

Nice work, keep us updated how far you can push it...
Chris

Ocing at any rate is going to give you negligible performance any ways as far as the gtx260 goes.

Card looks good. Have you pushed it any higher? What voltage are you actually running at? Anyway, curious to see more :).
I haven't gone any higher than 775/1260/1570..Ill probably push it more soon though...
I don't have any clue what the voltages are..they are hard modded with pots....is there any software that will tell?

. As soon as I exchange the card for the GTX 260 core 216 from EVGA step-up, I'm gonna push to see if I can match yours :D

From what i have heard, these all clock pretty well....I'm sure your gonna be happy with the new card..

Well that should be expected when a thread of this sort is started. Some of them do make a very valid point. I will not doubt that the mod is nothing short of awesome. That's some quality work there & I may even look forward to working with this guy myself. The price is the issue however. $300 is not chump change to some people. As already mentioned, that's another GTX 260 right there. Another GPU would of got him a much larger boost in performance than going with the quality work from Viper John. With that said, if he does get another GTX 260 & have the same mod done, then he is the man PERIOD =). I would spam Kyle to give this dude a custom title.

I disagree on the being jealous part. its like the person who had an already nice car that has spent a ton of money to add silly rims, loud pipes and spoilers. these are both cases that just seem stupid to some people and jealousy has nothing to do with it. ;)

Why spend all that money to mod a gtx 260? If you're gonna spend that kind of money, should've went with a gtx280.

Why spend all that money to mod a gtx 260? If you're gonna spend that kind of money, should've went with a gtx280.

Or 4870X2 and smoke the scores you will get with a $600 GTX 260.

I disagree on the being jealous part. its like the person who had an already nice car that has spent a ton of money to add silly rims, loud pipes and spoilers. these are both cases that just seem stupid to some people and jealousy has nothing to do with it. ;)

Meh..............call it what you want.

I wouldn't do it, maybe you wouldn't(obviously), but it isn't my money; I don't really give a shit what anybody thinks personally about this guys card mod.

He's bringing it here to show off the performance and the work that this Viper guy does.

It's just a matter of personal preference, plain and simple.
I like it.:D

Not really if you think about it the situation is different then you discribed.

The card was a stock car,viper john added a turbo for more perofrmance.More performance means more heat so therefore he added the waterblock which would be the intercooler for the turbo.It all makes sense

It makes sense to me but not you.Oh well good job man you need to get another done and go sli then you would be the man

Meh..............call it what you want.

I wouldn't do it, maybe you wouldn't(obviously), but it isn't my money; I don't really give a shit what anybody thinks personally about this guys card mod.

He's bringing it here to show off the performance and the work that this Viper guy does.

It's just a matter of personal preference, plain and simple.
I like it.:D
I agree that its his money and he can do what he wants but when you post something like that in a forum then opinions can vary. Just because someone thinks its stupid or a waste of money doesnt make them jealous and thats all Im saying. most people would never do something like this to a $260 even if money was no object. ;)

Or 4870X2 and smoke the scores you will get with a $600 GTX 260.

You care that he spent the $300 for this mod way too much. He doesn't have to justify it you or anyone but himself.

John does amazing work and I'm glad to hear he is still at it because I hadn't heard much from him in the past couple of video card cycles, not since the x1900 days I don't think.

Enjoy the card crosshair thats fucking [H]. :D

Oh well good job man you need to get another done and go sli then you would be the man

Its on the horizon..:)

I already have the card on order,should be here Tuesday.. I'm just waiting to make a decision on a mother board..
I had gotten rid of my 680i a while back and am currently on a P-35...
I'm probably just gonna grab a 780i, but I'm just not sure which one at this point...

I guess I could always keep the 680i I got from Tiger direct..:)

its all good though..I know some of people would have not spent the money I did, but hey, I'm helping the economy in my own way....
its what I wanted, so its what I got...

You paid $300 for the mods? Wouldn't it be better to plop that down on a second card? I'm confused. Regardless, it does look sweet.

some people just dont understand the fact of the matter is you did because you wanted to.You will gain performance,look at your clock speeds compared to stock.That has to make a difference and 2 of them in sli would be wicked.

Does he offer anything for a hd4850 in terms of cooling?I dont need water cooling but I do need to cool it somehow

You paid $300 for the mods? Wouldn't it be better to plop that down on a second card? I'm confused. Regardless, it does look sweet.
From a performance to dollar ratio perspective..no doubt, a 2nd card would have been the cheaper choice...
I knew that going into this...and I will be adding a 2nd card later on and modding that one also...
My main motivation was nothing more than I wanted it....John has done 5 cards for me previously, I am always happy with both the looks and performance.
I know a guy that has a blower on his car.....he took it off and had it chromed....it does not perform any better that before he spent 1500 on chrome...but he likes it.so he had it done....
who am I to judge him..:)

some people just dont understand the fact of the matter is you did because you wanted to.You will gain performance,look at your clock speeds compared to stock.That has to make a difference and 2 of them in sli would be wicked.

Does he offer anything for a hd4850 in terms of cooling?I dont need water cooling but I do need to cool it somehow

I dont think he does any air cooling, but you can email him at johnhillig at earthlink.net He is very easy to talk to and will answer any questions you might have.

You know you could have spent that $600 total on a better card that would totally blow away the 260GTX.....

Sure it's "cool" to have $300 in mods on it and it being heavily overclocked, but it's still a 260...

Waste of money. Not opinion, fact.

You know you could have spent that $600 total on a better card that would totally blow away the 260GTX.....

Sure it's "cool" to have $300 in mods on it and it being heavily overclocked, but it's still a 260...

Waste of money. Not opinion, fact.

Gee I didn't know that..Thank God you came along and told me.

opinions are like assholes, good thing you posted facts...

I'll keep my opinion of your "advice" to myself.

EDIT: I just saw your bio...
Biography:
Junior in High School, training for A+

Now I see where you get all your facts from..I didn't realize you were almost 16...your knowledge must be endless

Now I see where you get all your facts from..I didn't realize you were almost 16...your knowledge must be endless
Man, following this thread is ridiculous. Crosshairs, you're going to have to ignore these idiots. People are always going to cry or complain when they don't have the money to spend or if they do, wouldn't use it the same way. I'm happy you got exactly what you wanted and laid down the cash to get it. Still though, push it further :D.

That is some funny shit there.:D
Like I said before, I'm glad you have what you want......and it works the way YOU want it to.
Everybody else is just..............well, it take too much energy to even think about it, you said it best.:D (when I was in highschool I knew everything,too.....then I forgot it all in college.)

:eek:

That's.. amazing..

edit: All you fucks who are saying that it's not a good deal - OP's obviously not looking for the best deal. If he was, he'd probably be buying an 8800GS or a HD4850. :rolleyes:

That's.. amazing..

edit: All you fucks who are saying that it's not a good deal - OP's obviously not looking for the best deal. If he was, he'd probably be buying an 8800GS or a HD4850. :rolleyes:
what a stupid thing to say. the price difference between most retail cards makes sense in that you are getting much better performance for your extra money spent. spending $300 to upgrade a sub $300 card to get maybe 10-15% more performance than you can probaly get out of it yourself is not even logical for most people. :rolleyes:

no Im not knocking the OP because if its his money then fine but your little view is seriously flawed.

That's.. amazing..

I think the issue isn't with the fact that he did this, instead of being logical and buying a different card.

I think it just annoys people when someone else does something for no good reason , other then to post benchmarks and screenshots on the internet. It just defies logic.

I posted this in reply #18..i guess a few people missed it..:)
please note the part I put in red

His work is not cheap, and its not for everyone.
you could easily buy another card and run SLI most times for the price of the mods, but that's not my thing.
I didn't post the price before, because about 2 years ago I had a thread about my X850XT and 2 or 3 of the posters just wanted to keep telling me how I wasted my money...
So let me say ahead of time, I'm not interested in an economics lesson..I have plenty of money and I like to spend it.:)

that thread is HERE if anyone is intereted
I guess some things cant be changed....anyway,while I appreciate everyone's concern for how I spend my money, that's not what this thread is supposed to be about.

This is a hardcore hardware community forum, and I thought you guys might want to look at what I consider some [H] hardware.
most of you guys appreciate it for what it is, some just don't get it.
So for the sake of everyone's happiness, lets just pretend I spent $10.00 on it....

I posted this in reply #18..i guess a few people missed it..:)
please note the part I put in red

that thread is HERE if anyone is intereted
I guess some things cant be changed....anyway,while I appreciate everyone's concern for how I spend my money, that's not what this thread is supposed to be about.

This is a hardcore hardware community forum, and I thought you guys might want to look at what I consider some [H] hardware.
most of you guys appreciate it for what it is, some just don't get it.
So for the sake of everyone's happiness, lets just pretend I spent $10.00 on it....
well people are going to have opinions no matter what so you knew those types of comments were bound to happen. sure this is an hardware forum but in this forum most people try to see how much bang for buck they can get. if honestly asked most people would never spend that kind of money for such a small increase in performance. you have to accept that people will think you are crazy for spending that kind of money for very little in return. ;)

Very nice man, what are your temps? (Idle/load on core and Ambeint?) I'm dieing to know lol. Also whatd oes that volt mod he did to your bump the volts to? Is it higher than the 1.18v you can get from a bios mod?

No worries man, wasn't trying to be a dick with my question and I was curious why you would do this instead of going SLI or getting a better card than the 260. This is the [H] though, lots of expensive mods floating around (just take a look at the case gallery).

This is a hardcore hardware community forum, and I thought you guys might want to look at what I consider some [H] hardware. Most of you guys appreciate it for what it is, some just don't get it. So for the sake of everyone's happiness, lets just pretend I spent $10.00 on it....

That's a sick $10.00 mod. Honestly looks like it's worth $300.00 to me. ;) You have any temps on it yet? Do you know if he posts any worklogs of his mods?

Very nice man, what are your temps? (Idle/load on core and Ambeint?) I'm dieing to know lol. Also whatd oes that volt mod he did to your bump the volts to? Is it higher than the 1.18v you can get from a bios mod?

CPUz reports it idles around 28-30c...ambient in my little cave here is around 65f

loaded up I see about 38-40..its pretty much not really taxing my loop at this point..SLI might be a different story..ill know when i get there..
I can ask John about the volts, but I honestly have no idea

temps-1.jpg

No worries man, wasn't trying to be a dick with my question and I was curious why you would do this instead of going SLI or getting a better card than the 260. This is the [H] though, lots of expensive mods floating around (just take a look at the case gallery).
I didnt take you post as being a dick...its all good..:)

That's a sick $10.00 mod. Honestly looks like it's worth $300.00 to me. ;) You have any temps on it yet? Do you know if he posts any worklogs of his mods?

LOL, well played..:p
his pictures are HERE ..Thats my baby on the first page..:p
temps posted above...

im not sure if he does any worklogs

Back