Got My 3007!! its huge ..PIcs

I read the thread and when you consider the sheer volume of 30's shipped, that is a small sampling of people whom have a subjective perception of how quiet a 30 monitor should be.

I have not noticed any buzzing but in all fairness, the ambient noise would cover it anyway. I submit that if you put your ear up to any monitor of this size you will hear someting if you really want to.

Granted there are individuals with sensitive hearing and very quiet offices that my have an issue with this screen but I suspect that they would have an issue with any screen of this size.

Finaly , all you have to do is ask yourself if your one of those people and then decide what to do. End of Story.

IA wise man once said, "shit or get off the pot" There will always be a new revision of something around the corner.

Just my two cents.

Regards,

Mike

jacuzz1 said:
I read the thread and when you consider the sheer volume of 30's shipped, that is a small sampling of people whom have a subjective perception of how quiet a 30 monitor should be.

I have not noticed any buzzing but in all fairness, the ambient noise would cover it anyway. I submit that if you put your ear up to any monitor of this size you will hear someting if you really want to.

Granted there are individuals with sensitive hearing and very quiet offices that my have an issue with this screen but I suspect that they would have an issue with any screen of this size.

Finaly , all you have to do is ask yourself if your one of those people and then decide what to do. End of Story.

IA wise man once said, "shit or get off the pot" There will always be a new revision of something around the corner.

Just my two cents.

Regards,

Mike

This product wouldn't be so popular if it were really this bad. It's probably a few here and there that have defective components, or components operating just outside the range of normal operation.

You can hear the Apple 30" too if you put your ear up to the back of it. Though the Apple is the heavy, almost sealed rear panel which probably by design drowns out more noise than the Dell panel does.

Regardless, I agree with jacuzz1, it is probably a select few panels doing this. Even if there is some noise that comes from all of them, many humans probably can't hear it and even if they could, the noise of other items in the room masks the sound.

If mine makes noise, and my computer masks it, then I certainly won't care.

Its just that as the time is getting nearer for these new 30 inch monitor releases as well as the nvidia g80 to run them;
I'm getting more and more anxious. I'm excited and nervous and worried all at the same time. :D

I could still end up getting the 3007wfp but whatever I order I can just imagine myself when the delivery guy shows up at my door what I will do........

"GIMMEEEEEE GIMMEEEE NOWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!" *takes package...slams door in his face* :p

This thread has grow so long that I can't find the member who post 3 - 4 x 30" Dell at his home. What I wanted to know is, how much memory is needed to run each LCD? Or for that matter, is there a way to calculate
2560x1600x32 bits requires how much video RAM?

Happy Hopping said:
This thread has grow so long that I can't find the member who post 3 - 4 x 30" Dell at his home. What I wanted to know is, how much memory is needed to run each LCD? Or for that matter, is there a way to calculate
2560x1600x32 bits requires how much video RAM?

At native resolution its a 4 meg bit map
so do the math

Regarding the buzzing monitors.

Let me be super clear here. In a quiet office, you would hear my monitor buzzing from across the (not small) room. You need to be deaf not to hear it buzzing.

I have gone through three of those monitors, and so far 3 out of 3 have been buzzing. One of them was A01 and two were A02; two where from China and one from Mexico. So I hardly think we're not dealing with a "bad batch".

In www.macintouch.com there are few other MacBook/3007WFP who complain about buzzing. This is not a coincidence, IMO.

I'm betting that the most of the monitors are buzzing. The only difference between me and you guys, is that I'm running it off a (quiet) laptop, and you're running it off desktop PCs. I'm pretty sure that any desktop PC - even the quietest ones - would drawn the buzz with its fans.

Like I previously said *your* ears may be very sensitive to the "SPECIFIC" frequency of the buzzing when someone else may not hear it at all. Did you ever here the phrase tone deaf?

Mac

driveman said:
Regarding the buzzing monitors.

Let me be super clear here. In a quiet office, you would hear my monitor buzzing from across the (not small) room. You need to be deaf not to hear it buzzing.

I have gone through three of those monitors, and so far 3 out of 3 have been buzzing. One of them was A01 and two were A02; two where from China and one from Mexico. So I hardly think we're not dealing with a "bad batch".

In www.macintouch.com there are few other MacBook/3007WFP who complain about buzzing. This is not a coincidence, IMO.

I'm betting that the most of the monitors are buzzing. The only difference between me and you guys, is that I'm running it off a (quiet) laptop, and you're running it off desktop PCs. I'm pretty sure that any desktop PC - even the quietest ones - would drawn the buzz with its fans.

hi i am from venezuela, and i am looking to buy this monitor, i just read the whole 73 pages of great info, but i have some question:

what is the last revision of this monitor, and it fixes from the last one?

is there still backlight bleeding in those new revisions?

i am afraid because i have to buy the monitor and then send overseas until my country so its a lot of miles.

last question what are the dimensions of the box? and how much it weight

ve_blackjack said:
hi i am from venezuela, and i am looking to buy this monitor, i just read the whole 73 pages of great info, but i have some question:

what is the last revision of this monitor, and it fixes from the last one?

is there still backlight bleeding in those new revisions?

i am afraid because i have to buy the monitor and then send overseas until my country so its a lot of miles.

last question what are the dimensions of the box? and how much it weight

As far as I know, the latest revision is A02.

If there is back light bleed, I do not notice it on mine and it is an A02.

I am not sure of the dimensions of the box, but the weight is 30lbs.

I received my Dell 30" today. I'm not sure what to think of it right now :)

I have been using the Westy 37W3 for around a month and like it alot. I have a large desk and the monitor sits around 3 feet away if I set it all the way to the back of the desk.

The Dell 30' has that horrible red tint that I lived with for a year with my 2005FPW which I'm not to thrilled about, though it's bearable.

The Extra real estate is great on the Dell but with such high resolution you have to be pretty close to the monitor to see well. I love high resolution but am not to sure I like 30" and super high resolution. My Dell 17" Lappy with the 1900 x 1200 screen is great but 30" just may be to big as you have to be closer to the monitor.

In gaming using BF2142 at full rez with a E6400 and 7900GS's in SLI I get around 70FPS with setting to medium using the Westy at 1920 x 1080. With the Dell at full rez it slows down to around 25-30fps with medium settings. If I set the dell to 1280 x 800 and max everything out it looks pretty good and I get around 90FPS.

Another slight dislike on the Dell is it has a slighly sparkly screen. The Westy is a kick ass monitor! No complaints!

BTW I see no dead pixels....REV A02....and I hear no BUZZING.

Decisions Decisions!!!!

IMG_3180-vi.jpg

Dell_Westy-vi.jpg

jacuzz1 said:
4 million pixels

I'm well aware 2560x1600=4.096 million pixel. But if you read my original question, I want to know how much video RAM does it require (min.) to run the size of the screen, in this case, 2560x1600, at 32 bit color?

I considered the Westy, but it's a nice TV, not a monitor. The sharpness and resolution just aren't there. I edit images, and perform a variety of other tasks on my computer, so the difference in pixel configuration wasn't acceptable to me.

I am very happy with my Dell, but if I just played games and nothing else, I'd either have gotten the Westy, or hooked the computer up to my 52" Mitsubishi HDTV.

The Westy is not a TV it's strictly a 1920 x 1080 monitor. It has no tuner of any kind built in.

I also perform picture editing as photography is my hobby. I have no issues with the Westy and high resolution pictures look life like. I can take a picture with my 30D and blow it up to the point where I can actually see the pores of a person skin. No idea why you would need more than that. If your multitasking with multipe windows open at once then the Dell is a no brainer.

Mac

Dan_D said:
I considered the Westy, but it's a nice TV, not a monitor. The sharpness and resolution just aren't there. I edit images, and perform a variety of other tasks on my computer, so the difference in pixel configuration wasn't acceptable to me.

I am very happy with my Dell, but if I just played games and nothing else, I'd either have gotten the Westy, or hooked the computer up to my 52" Mitsubishi HDTV.

cmacclel said:
The Westy is not a TV it's strictly a 1920 x 1080 monitor. It has no tuner of any kind built in.

I also perform picture editing as photography is my hobby. I have no issues with the Westy and high resolution pictures look life like. I can take a picture with my 30D and blow it up to the point where I can actually see the pores of a person skin. No idea why you would need more than that. If your multitasking with multipe windows open at once then the Dell is a no brainer.

Mac

I thought it had a tuner. Oh well, in any case, there is a big difference in the pixel configuration, and I just prefer the sharpness and the resolution of the Dell.

Dan thanks for response,

anyone can tell me the dimensions of the box please?

is the backlight bleeding 100% fixed?

i have an amd 4800+ x2, 1 gb ocz ram, evga 7900gt, and watercooling in the whole system, it is ok this monitor to my system? i can play at least bf2 and hl2 with great image quality and fps?

thanks

jacuzz1 said:
I am sory , i misunderstood. Here is a link thay may help

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/video/modesBuffer-c.html

I appreciate the link. Thank you. But it seems very low. AT 1600x1200x32 bit, only 8 MB of video RAM?

Because I try to display 1600x1200x 32bit on 2 LCD, and nView Nvidia manager only allows 1280x1024x32bits on 2 LCD. And that video card is from Newegg XFX 6600 at 256 MB of Video RAM.

Happy Hopping said:
I appreciate the link. Thank you. But it seems very low. AT 1600x1200x32 bit, only 8 MB of video RAM?

Because I try to display 1600x1200x 32bit on 2 LCD, and nView Nvidia manager only allows 1280x1024x32bits on 2 LCD. And that video card is from Newegg XFX 6600 at 256 MB of Video RAM.

Yes, if that. I can remember using an 8 meg matrox on my Sony G500 without issue. Remeber, its not 3d accelleration. Look at most integrated solutions, all are 2-8 meg shared memory and most run `1600x1200 easy at 85 hertz

I think your issue is not related to frame buffer memory. There are other limitiing factors when you speak of dual head. I am not sure why, but dual ramdacs pose a driver issue if i remember correctly. A seperate pci card may offer a bettter solution for your needs but i am not sure.

syntax_terror said:
So, then all of those Plasma TVs without tuners are also monitors?

Yes they are, but the Westy, and those plasma monitors do not hold a candle to the resolution, and sharpness of a monitor like the Apple 30" and Dell 30" displays.

The Dell 3007WFP 30" has almost a third more pixels than the Westinghouse 37" does if I recall correctly.

The Westy does 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 and the Dell does 2560x1600. The main advantage over the Dell and Apple displays is more inputs. The Dell and Apple displays are devoid of anything but the one DVI.

syntax_terror said:
So, then all of those Plasma TVs without tuners are also monitors?

Yes any display without a tuner is considered a monitor or display, but it all depends on what market the manufacture is targeting.

Mac

Dan_D said:
The Dell 3007WFP 30" has almost a third more pixels than the Westinghouse 37" does if I recall correctly.

The Westy does 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 and the Dell does 2560x1600.
1920x1080=2073600
2560x1600=4096000

4096000/2073600=1.975, which means it is almost 2 times the amount of pixels.

jacuzz1 said:
Yes, if that. I can remember using an 8 meg matrox on my Sony G500 without issue. Remeber, its not 3d accelleration. Look at most integrated solutions, all are 2-8 meg shared memory and most run `1600x1200 easy at 85 hertz

I think your issue is not related to frame buffer memory. There are other limitiing factors when you speak of dual head. I am not sure why, but dual ramdacs pose a driver issue if i remember correctly. A seperate pci card may offer a bettter solution for your needs but i am not sure.

so what is everyone running on their dell 30? You have 3 - 4 x 30" don't you? So you still need to deal w/ dual ramdacs don't you? Besides, if people is running 2 x 20" to 30", they'll only buy 1 video card, unless they are in games and move to sLI

Happy Hopping said:
so what is everyone running on their dell 30? You have 3 - 4 x 30" don't you? So you still need to deal w/ dual ramdacs don't you? Besides, if people is running 2 x 20" to 30", they'll only buy 1 video card, unless they are in games and move to sLI

I have a single 30 and a single 7950. I sold my other 7950 in preperation for the G80. Ihave one 30 and have always had one. There was one contributor to the thread that had 4 , all be it for a short period of time. There are several using 2 and its not an issue. I guess it depends on individual cards and drivers and perhaps if your spaning or cloneing your desktop. I have not tried two 30s I run dual head with my lappy and a wide screen Samsung 19 so the res is different for both. I have been able to run naitive res on both of those using the integrated Intel on my new Dell lappy. ( I got one free from verizon and so i sold my Sony.)

Kherozene said:
does this support 1080p? or 1080i?

The Dell? Technically, all actual computer monitors made in the last 10 years or more are all non-interlaced displays. If it can display 1920x1080, then it will do so without running the display output interlaced.

Kherozene said:
so it would only run ant 1080p and 720p so on?

The Dell will run at 1080P, 720P and everything above that up to 2560x1600 and everything down to 640x480.

in australia the dell is AUD$2000 and the HP coming out will be AUD$3000 do you think the dell is a clear winner?

Kherozene said:
in australia the dell is AUD$2000 and the HP coming out will be AUD$3000 do you think the dell is a clear winner?

The HP is supposed to have better color reproduction and it will have more inputs. It is up to you to decide if that's worth another $1000.

its hard for me to say as i dont own the dell, what im try to say is would you if you din't have that monitor buy a HP for US$750 more?

Kherozene said:
its hard for me to say as i dont own the dell, what im try to say is would you if you din't have that monitor buy a HP for US$750 more?

I probably wouldn't. The colors aren't that important to me, and the extra monitor inputs, while nice aren't something I need. I'd rather use the $750 I saved on a 8800GTX.

i want to get a screen that is great for gamingand is fairly big, the dell has a 15 day no questions asked return policy so i'll see how that goes first, as for games do you play many fps, wow, rts? if yes how does it look compared to other monitors on the market?
thanks

Kherozene said:
i want to get a screen that is great for gamingand is fairly big, the dell has a 15 day no questions asked return policy so i'll see how that goes first, as for games do you play many fps, wow, rts? if yes how does it look compared to other monitors on the market?
thanks

I'd get the Westy 37W3 then if your more into gaming. I have my Dell 30" boxed up and ready to go back, I'm keeping the 37W3. The color's and whites all look much better on the Westy, but if you need the pixels then the Dell is your only choice.

Two other things that I didn't like about the dell where

- Red glow on the screen if you where not looking at it dead on

-Screen Sparkly's whats with Dell and these sparkly screens! On the 30" it's not bad but still noticable.

MAc

Back