Got my new Apple 20" Cinema!

Alex T.

n00b
I just got it and I must say this thing kicks so much ass!

Only one gripe since I'm using it on a WinXP box. I plugged the firewall cable from teh monitor and that worked ok, but the usb cable when plugged in did not work properly. Windows XP recognizes the Apple usb hug at first but then fails to configure it properly. OH well I guess.

Just thought I would share with everyone that this monitor is gorgeous!

congrats, and yeah that single cable sure is nice... does the sleep function for the box work off the monitor as well?

i'm guessing no

-esr

I'm still trying to decide whether to get one of these or not. I am very happy with my Dell 2005FPW on my Windows machine, so I might get one for my PowerBook too. But I would really like the ACD for matching purposes and the FireWire hub would really help me out. Do you think it's worth the $700?

I think it is worth the money. It is $200 more expensive than the comparable dell, but I prefer apples design and build quality.

The $200+ (far more, especially if you wait for a [H]ot deal) will buy you a can of silver spray paint to match your powerbook.

ikari303 said:
The $200+ (far more, especially if you wait for a [H]ot deal) will buy you a can of silver spray paint to match your powerbook.

You can get the dell in silver though...

I have the older adc acd on my pc(23inch one) and must say I love it. Nerver tried the usb hub as I don't think windows found it right. The only issue I have is that the power button is a software controlled switch which does not work on the pc. I just have energy saver turn it off after a few minutes.

Hi all,

To any one considering weather the extra money for the Apple screen over the Dell is worth it, the answer is a definate YES. I bought the Dell 2005FPW which I returned for a replacement because of problems with the backlight and panel in general to get a later revision with even worse backlight leakage and a horrible yellow ting to the whites.

I got a full refund then bought the apple screen, which is so much better, at the time it was hooked up to a windows box and the firewire and USB ports worked perfectly, but now it is hooked up to a Dual 2.7 G5 and I couldnt be happier. OSX looks gorgeous in wide screen!!!

I love my cinema display too for the size, resolution, and most importantly style :) that it offers but its definitely lacking for a graphics or gaming monitor; ithas poor blacks from a graphic editing standpoint and slow response time - certainly not the 16ms apple claims as the blurring is noticably there compared to my "25 ms" viewsonic. I just wanted to let others know that it isnt as if the Apple were best in all reguards. The Dell 24" on the other hand does seem to have a better panel (hate to say it because I really dont care for their lack of quality).

Also, the USB hub on mine works fine with my PC... I'm not sure what to tell you there

Colour casts can be removed with a colour calibration device like the monaco optix, spyder, etc... My cinema display had a greenish cast to it before being profiled, but not as bad as some of the yellow or blue casts ive seen on other displays (especially laptops). Just wanted to let you know its not really a permenant problem :)

I think that the LCD displays is one area where Dell has a clear advantage over Apple.

For one thing, the 20" Apple ACD and Dell 2005FPW both use the exact same LCD panel!!! They both use the L.G. Philips LCD screen, and share the same electronics. Apple simply removes some of the controls and capability to provide a "cleaner" look from the outside.

However, considering that you can get the 2405FPW from Dell (24" widescreen) for well under $1000 (see the coupon deals on gotapex.com-- that screen was under $800 last week), which has better contrast, resolution, and response time than the Apple, it doesn't make sense to consider any Apple screen unless you want the 30" model-- which would kick ass. But for any smaller screen, Dell is simply the best thing going, at any price.
And it doesn't hurt that the Dell screens are much less expensive.

Thud said:
I think that the LCD displays is one area where Dell has a clear advantage over Apple.

For one thing, the 20" Apple ACD and Dell 2005FPW both use the exact same LCD panel!!! They both use the L.G. Philips LCD screen, and share the same electronics. Apple simply removes some of the controls and capability to provide a "cleaner" look from the outside.

However, considering that you can get the 2405FPW from Dell (24" widescreen) for well under $1000 (see the coupon deals on gotapex.com-- that screen was under $800 last week), which has better contrast, resolution, and response time than the Apple, it doesn't make sense to consider any Apple screen unless you want the 30" model-- which would kick ass. But for any smaller screen, Dell is simply the best thing going, at any price.
And it doesn't hurt that the Dell screens are much less expensive.

The above post should be required reading for anyone going into the display or apple forums for the first time.
:cool:

they may be the same panel, but apple uses different electionics (such as different backlights) to provide better quality to the panel. so even though theyre the same panel doesnt mean youll get the exact same results.

p0intblank said:
I'm still trying to decide whether to get one of these or not. I am very happy with my Dell 2005FPW on my Windows machine, so I might get one for my PowerBook too. But I would really like the ACD for matching purposes and the FireWire hub would really help me out. Do you think it's worth the $700?
doesnt the 2005fpw and the apple cinema display have the same samsung panel?

TSS Modder said:
it was already stated that they used the same LG.Philips panel.
ahh...i thought they used a samsung panel...you learn something new everyday

Yep the backlight on the cinema display is the brightest I've ever seen :)

As I said before if screen quality is your thing (graphic design or gaming) I think the Dell 24" might be a better choice. Someone explained it pretty well above, for $800 that is one sweet deal. This is in reference to the 30" btw. I love it and would get it again but $3000 + $1300 (for the FX3400 graphics card to drive it).... thats $4300 for 2560x1600 as opposed to $800 and 1920x1280. Definitely a price premium there for the extra 6 inches :eek:

or you can buy 2 24" (1600$) and a 7800GTX (550$) and still be well under the cost of a 30".

ky650 said:
Yep the backlight on the cinema display is the brightest I've ever seen :)

You should see my Hyundai L90D that I have on my mac mini... it was like staring at the surface of the sun when I first powered it up. I had to turn down the brightness and recalibrate the color display in system preferences, now it just looks great, it's the most vivid LCD I've seen to date. Sometimes I wish it was widescreen, tho the mini would struggle with the resolution of the widescreen panels for Expose and whatnot.

no offense to ppl, but Apple have one of the highest quality products in their Displays. Dell might be cheaper, but ordering online whihc is a hassle to some, and returning thinks for dead pixels etc is a bitch. Thus this is where apple prevails. They have very good quality control, and Dell has crap customer support etc.

This is my opi nion due to personal experience, i actually ordereed a Dell 2005FPW, until they treated me like crap

^^^ Of course ALL tests are subjective, but the reviews I have read in magazines on calling company techs to test, repair, replace that even include apple are showing that Apple's customer care and elitist affitude is far worse than it used to be.

I will state that I do not own any Dell or Apple products. Since I scratch build all my computers and bought my laptop from Toshiba.

Back