The box:

The CPU:

CnQ enabled:

AoD screen:

AoD diagram, you can read almost everything here:

AoD overclocking:

AoD stability test:

Last edited:
I won't be overclocking soon since the temp reading on M3A79-T Deluxe using the 0803 Bios is not working, the temp now is -256C. According to this, my CPU is cooling the other components. :p

I'm impressed with the idle speed of the CPU, it drops down to 800MHz from 3.2GHz.

I won't be overclocking soon since the temp reading on M3A79-T Deluxe using the 0803 Bios is not working, the temp now is -256C. According to this, my CPU is cooling the other components. :p

You say that like its a negative thing...with temps like that you shoudl be able to hit 10ghz! Go for it!!! :p

it's been a while since I can remember [H] releasing a "midnight" review rightafter an NDA closed. Too bad, it was always the first place i checked back in the day, but i also like the route they've gone with a bit less formulatic approach, even if it takes a bit longer than the rest.

They were Johnny on the spot when the first-gen Phenom came out. Now that it isn't all stink, they have to dig deeper to find the suckage. But I'd rather they take their time and get it right; thoroughness is a virtue. By the way, did anyone catch this 6.7 GHz 955 BE OC? http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=551629

I want my PII case sticker, there is no sticker inside the box!!! :p

I'll post some pictures later.

I got my Phenom II x3 720 last week. I was tearing up the box and manuals looking for case stickers too.

Boo AMD! Give us our stickers!

lol

Sorry for the late reply, something came up so I need to get it done first.

Now I'm having a problem with my system, my system clock (time) is lagging. I was running 5050e before this and I didn't have this problem. By lagging I mean, if I sync my system clock with the internet, after an hour my system clock will be ~20 minutes behind the actual time. I notice that when running at 800MHz, the second hand on the system clock moves slower than normal. I'm gonna try disabling Cool n Quiet and see if it makes a difference. I just hope that this is just a case of immature BIOS and it will be fixed with a new BIOS. Another thing is, the "|" cursor when typing also moves slower than normal when I press the left or right key.

Btw I found my case sticker deep inside the manual. I bought a few Phenoms before but the case sticker was never buried deep inside the manual, normally it is inside the manual but I didn't have to unfold the manual entirely to get it.

Last edited:
Sorry for the late reply, something came up so I need to get it done first.

Now I'm having a problem with my system, my system clock (time) is lagging. I was running 5050e before this and I didn't have this problem. By lagging I mean, if I sync my system clock with the internet, after an hour my system clock will be ~20 minutes behind the actual time. I notice that when running at 800MHz, the second hand on the system clock moves slower than normal. I'm gonna try disabling Cool n Quiet and see if it makes a difference. I just hope that this is just a case of immature BIOS and it will be fixed with a new BIOS. Another thing is, the "|" cursor when typing also moves slower than normal when I press the left or right key.

Btw I found my case sticker deep inside the manual. I bought a few Phenoms before but the case sticker was never buried deep inside the manual, normally it is inside the manual but I didn't have to unfold the manual entirely to get it.

sounds like a bios issue or windows issue.. but id blame the bios first..

Disabling Cool n Quiet fixed the clock and cursor issue. Hopefully a new BIOS will fix that issue since the idle temp with CnQ @800MHz is 44C compared to 49C @3.2GHz. Since CnQ can't be used, I fired up AMD overdrive, move the multiplier to 18x and now I have a 3.6GHz CPU at stock voltage. I'm running the AoD stability test now. I'm using the Thermalright Ultima 90 heatsink.

To avoid confusion, the best idea is just to refer to the Phenom II as the "Phenom II
or "PhII" if you're in that much of a hurry.

nah Intel's processor has always been the Pentium, P2, P3, and P4.

Roman numerals are AMD's naming scheme.

I respectfully disagree. You can do a search and find numerous articles where Pentium II cpus are called PII. Intel calls them Pentium II on their website as well as Pentium III. Intel did not start the numerical designation (P4) until the Pentium 4 cpu.

http://processorfinder.intel.com/

Welcome to 2009, we are talking about an AMD CPU called PII from 2009, not a CPU from 10 years ago.

Please don't hijack this thread, if you want to talk about Pentium 2, feel free to go to the Intel subforum.

Got my CPU up to 3.7 GHz @1.35V stable using the AoD stability test, load temp is 59C. 3.8GHz was not stable @1.35V. Since CnQ is not working yet, I'll leave the CPU at 3.7GHz for now.

Disabling Cool n Quiet fixed the clock and cursor issue. Hopefully a new BIOS will fix that issue since the idle temp with CnQ @800MHz is 44C compared to 49C @3.2GHz. Since CnQ can't be used, I fired up AMD overdrive, move the multiplier to 18x and now I have a 3.6GHz CPU at stock voltage. I'm running the AoD stability test now. I'm using the Thermalright Ultima 90 heatsink.

You might even be able to get a little higher on stock voltage. Or if heat/power use is your major concern, see how much u can lower the voltage below stock at 3.2ghz. Then once you find the low point your 100% stable at, see how fast it will go at that speed.
My 940BE can go to 3.26ghz at -.5 volts!

edit: CNQ does not work while OCing on most mobo's. When I change the fsb or multi on my system the vista64 cpu power options disappear! I am looking for a program that will let me over ride this so I can clock down to [email protected] (custom low settings that my cpu can do) when not under load.

PLEASE STOP HIJACKING THIS THREAD. If you own the "PII" trademark, please sue me. If not, then please stop this PII=Pentium II BS. I'm sure that people are not that stupid to think that the term "PII" in this thread is refering to an OLD CPU from Intel since it is already 2009 and this is the AMD subforum. If you think that it is confusing then I'm sorry for your lack of intelligence.

Back on topic, I've updated the first post with pics and screen shots.

Last edited:
I'm using PhenomMsrTweaker now and with this program I am able to overclock my PII to 3.7GHz and also use CnQ at the same time by creating a custom CnQ profile using the progam. I can also limit the low power state to just 2.1GHz instead of 800MHz since I was having a problem with the system time when my PII downclock to 800MHz.

I saw that and that's just INSANE :)

6.7Ghz on a Quad? Negative Ghost Rider, the pattern is full. CPU-Z shows it as Cores=2, Threads=2. I wish people would quit referencing this .

And alg7 congrats on 3.7Ghz. Thats a nice clock on any brand of chip. ;)

Back