Got my Sharp Aquos LC-32GP1U "Gaming" 1080p display today!

....... I went to BB, but the idiot "Salesman" said he wasn't allowed to connect a computer to any TV.
I'd gladly help if I had a camera.
Grab a 32" from BB for a month of use and return if you dont like it. Nothing wrong with that, lots do it. If the big stores didn't expect you to make use of their 30day money-back offer they wouldn't make it.
Personally I agree with your caution, we work too hard for our money to toss it away carelessly. Good luck with your quest for "very big PC screen". 32" is really a nice size, not too big not too small, maybe its the 'sweet spot'.

Btw, this 32-inch Sharp D62U that I presently have is an 'open box' item that CC had on store shelf for 889. For that price I couldn't pass up "giving it a try". Here's what I have found so far....
Besides its excellent performance as a huge, hi-resolution, PC Monitor----- I have also noticed (during my "game playing time") that it seems plenty-fast in Games. So, maybe I wont be swapping it for the more expensive 32-inch Sharp GP1U 'gamer' model after all. Well we'll see, time will tell.
Suggestion: for more info on these1080P Sharps, read the detailed 'Owner Reviews' (Sharp 32", 37" 1080P LCD-TV) at NewEgg. Ratings are high. Please post here what you finally get.

How about posting some pics of your Sharp displaying text and images? I went to BB, but the idiot "Salesman" said he wasn't allowed to connect a computer to any TV.

I would like to second Mr. Wolf's request. I can see the monitor would be great for gaming, but for web browsing etc? some more close up shots of text etc would be appreciated. I've seen imyourzeros shots, but would like to see maybe excel and word samples?

would be greatly appreciated.

itching for a new bedroom tv/gaming monitor and this is high on list.

thanks

How does this TV look with non HD channels? I'm looking for a TV that I can watch regular cable and play PS3 with.

I am looking at mine now, watching CNBC and its great. I own the 32 inch, that I use as my monitor, a 42 inch for the beach house and the 52 inch for the living room of my home. I LOVE THEM ALL.

lol, I'm not even going to read through the other posts, but in the original post I can already tell that the picture is not a problem with the display, but rather the ATI video card he's using.

pop in a nvidia series card, 88xx or 7xxx series card and watch the problem disappear

I've had that same problem with God only knows how many larger displays and ATI video cards.

NVIDIA ftw, they actually give a shit about whether their video cards work correctly with the larger monitors their customers are buying.

ATI, on the other hand, does not - so hey, if you're gonna use an ATI video card with a smaller monitor ONLY, then they're fine!

Sound

How do I get the speakers to work ?
I have plugged the cables into every audio input I can find
But still no sound

Yes , the PC works and I get sound from regular speakers

But I can not get sound from the screen

Thanks
``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

EDIT

Seems you can not get sound when useing a HDMI cable
But it works with a DVI cable

Can someone post pics of this 32 GP1U as it displays documents, text, multiple open windows, etc.? I searched the whole thread but couldn't find anything. Of course, I might've missed something. After 34 pages, my eyes got pretty tired. I'm trying to see how this TV functions as an everyday monitor.

Thanks!

The text sharpness and color shifting is absolutely horrible. Especially when comparing to my Sony 23" and Dell 3007-HC. Completely unacceptable for a PC monitor. I couldn't drive fast enough back to Best Buy. Keeping the Dell was the best decision I ever made.

HDTV and movies on the other hand were great but that was not my primary use.

Hey, has anyone been able to get 1080p to work using DVI-A (or namely, a DVI-A to VGA adapter)? I've heard of some people getting it to work over DVI-D by reducing the refresh rate in PowerStrip, but I can't get it working properly. I'd like to get this working without buying any particular adapters, and VGA is the only output my laptop has. Any help here would be appreciated. :)

I'm guessing no one else got this when it was on sale from Newegg, or I need a better laptop with a DVI or HDMI port

Well, I do need a better laptop, but that's what I get for cheaping out.

When using this television as the primary display for my computer it only shows a black screen. The only way I can get it to work with my PC is to boot up the PC with the television unplugged and only a monitor plugged in. Once I'm in Windows I can then plug in the television and everything works just fine. Then if I reboot I once again get a black screen on the television as well as on my regular monitor if both are hooked up to the PC. Has anyone experienced this? Is there a way to get it working with both the monitor and television plugged in on initial start-up.

My video card is a ATI 2600XT PCie.

Thanks

Old thread yes and there is apparently a new model called the LC-32GP3U. I was wondering if it would still be worth it to get the old model LC-32GP1U. If I did get this display, I would use it for gaming. My only concern is the 32" size and the resolution. I am used to a monitor with a comparatively higher density of pixels. Does this panel still look good @ 1080p 32"? I might also connect SD cable to it. Does SD cable look ok on it?

I have read this entire thread (quite painful) and saw some people unhappy with the dynamically changing contrast while others are unhappy with reds. I didn't look at all the different names of the posters, but I wonder what percentage of people are actually unhappy with the monitor. I have a VX2025wm right now and it is alright. I had to send it in for repair once because there were so many pixels on the bottom that weren't working. Even returned I had some dead ones, but not as many before.

I also saw some people unhappy about the sharpness, specifically the text. However, On one of the pages in this massive thread, some guy posted pics of text close up. It didn't look blurry at all to me.

My primary use for this is going to be gaming. I also will have some school papers to write along with writing some code. I am not a big photo editor or movie editor. I may also get a bluray drive for my computer later on to enjoy some HD content. Should I pull the trigger for this thing? How does it compare to the newer LC-32GP3U. Other than the price and new colors, I do not know what the difference is.

In honor of the gigantic westy thread, I'm starting a new one for the Sharp GP1U gaming 1080p displays.

First things first, let's put an end to the rumors. This monitor *DOES* do 1920X1080 at 60Hz:
I think there's a slight blue push or maybe it's just that my eyes have gotten used to the crappy apple monitors. The apple 23" have a crazy pink hue (it's impossible to get grey on the apple, only pink). In any event I will be calibrating it over the weekend.

Anyways this is just a quick post. This weekend I'm going to hang it on the wall. Once I get a chance to calibrate and tune it, I'll post a more in-depth review.

In the meantime feel free to ask if you have any questions. I'm liking it so far!
:confused:
What about the RGB Color Space rendering? Can you really rely on it to equall a graphics editing monitor like LeCie, for instance? And, can it be calibrated as you would a monitor? I need a graphics monitor to do Photoshop editing and would like to use one of these instead. What do you think? jonhog

:confused:
What about the RGB Color Space rendering? Can you really rely on it to equall a graphics editing monitor like LeCie, for instance? And, can it be calibrated as you would a monitor? I need a graphics monitor to do Photoshop editing and would like to use one of these instead. What do you think? jonhog

If I recall, someone with a similar interest on AVS forums said the GP1U is missing a bit of the color spectrum due to the backlight...(The gap was in the lower right part of the triangle, but I don't remember what color space was being diagrammed...)

Sorry to bump this but anyone know how to get to the service menu to turn DCOL_DISABLE to 1 so that the colors stop shifting around?

Sorry to bump this but anyone know how to get to the service menu to turn DCOL_DISABLE to 1 so that the colors stop shifting around?

Unplug your set and press the power button to drain the power. Hold down input and volume down and plug in the set. The screen should turn on in about 5 seconds and a "K" should be displayed in the upper left hand side of your screen. Release volume and input and hit volume and channel down to access the service menu. Grab your remote and hit the display button. My dcol_disable was on the first or second page of this menu. Set it to 1 and then hit power to turn off the set and exit the service menu. Turn it back on and you should be good to go.

Unplug your set and press the power button to drain the power. Hold down input and volume down and plug in the set. The screen should turn on in about 5 seconds and a "K" should be displayed in the upper left hand side of your screen. Release volume and input and hit volume and channel down to access the service menu. Grab your remote and hit the display button. My dcol_disable was on the first or second page of this menu. Set it to 1 and then hit power to turn off the set and exit the service menu. Turn it back on and you should be good to go.
Thank you! Also I got this from avs forum by a member named nm88. Do you enter this into a normal menu or service menu?
Calibrating was a real pain. First, the gamut is really poor, especially in the green/yellow area. At high color intensities, the controls often do little or nothing because the display simply can't shift the color where I want.

Second, the response is not linear, meaning that settings for one level won't work for another. Combined with the gamut problem, you could end up making a large shift for little effect at 75%, only to see a huge effect at 50%.

Because of these two problems I had to experiment and compromise quite a bit to get something workable, but the calibration was worth it. Skin tones in particular are now much more natural looking, and even the CIE chart looks decent (attached below). Green and yellow are a lost cause but still much better than they used to be.

These are the settings I have tentatively settled on:

[Edit] Updated settings for a better compromise between 601/709 material; CIE chart is now for 709 source

Main settings
Color Temp: Low (6500K, where it should be)
Backlight: STD
Contrast: 32 (brighter than the "correct" setting of 15 but still no clipping)
Brightness: 0
Tint: 0 (forget this useless control, do the full calibration)
Color: -8 (PC) / -10 (DVR)
Sharpness: -10 (essential for accurate display without artifacts)

Color controls
Hue (R, G, B, C, M, Y): 0, -255, 0, -95, -70, 50
Saturation (R, G, B, C, M, Y): -15, 45, 0, 0, -80, 0

I left DCOL_DISABLE at 1, since after the calibration the color issue I was sometimes noticing went away.

Those are normal adjustments. Don't mess with anything else in the service menu as you could potentially brick your display. I am using those settings but with color at -3 and sharpness at -6 for PC use.

One more question: For PC use should I use DVI connection or the Vyper HDMI connection on the side? Or will at native res DVI be fine without vyper mode? Thanks

I'm using the DVI connection because when I used HDMI it was very blurry due to TV over scan. The DVI connection disables all over scan and what not so your picture is clear. Just be sure to set the sharpness way down also.

I'm using the DVI connection because when I used HDMI it was very blurry due to TV over scan. The DVI connection disables all over scan and what not so your picture is clear. Just be sure to set the sharpness way down also.
Do you notice any mouse lag vs a normal lcd?

Hey I got the tv and was wondering: where can I edit the color settings mentioned in the previous post? I found color settings like adjust mid mid high high and level of color (-30 through 30) but no actual setting to adjust by itself.
Also for dcol_disable: I got into the menu, but how do I change dcol diable on the DVI page instead of the main one.

Hey I got the tv and was wondering: where can I edit the color settings mentioned in the previous post? I found color settings like adjust mid mid high high and level of color (-30 through 30) but no actual setting to adjust by itself.
Also for dcol_disable: I got into the menu, but how do I change dcol diable on the DVI page instead of the main one.

You can't adjust the colors individually. Just the temperature (the low-high) and the color setting.

I entered the service menu, hit display and on that page saw "dcol_disable 0 0". I changed that to "dcol_disable 1 0 (I cant seem to change the 2nd 0 to the right of it)". However this has not stopped the colors shifting depending on surrounding brightness. Any idea what I did wrong?
Never mind. Had to go to acmode and switch to user.

Is anyone having problems with DX10 and 1080p? For some reason a few of my games get forced into 1080i if dx10 is enabled (bioshock, stalker clear sky). Strangely though in DMC4 with 59mhz refresh 1080p works fine in dx10.

I thought I might take the plunge for 500 bucks, but some of you hinted at sub-par performance for 'office' use... are there any 30" or 32" displays that offer a better balance between 2D precision/crispness and low input lag for gaming?

BTW, Hi everyone, I'm new...

Back