got my shuffle

gigglebyte

2[H]4U
well I got my 1Gig iPod Shuffle today...it is going to be fun...already been playing with it and haven't had many issues so far...system did freeze a couple of times when attaching it but i don't know if it was the ipod or something else going on...transfered 117 songs (460meg) in about 4-5 minutes so not bad for flash based memory :D

How's the build quality on it? I heard it's really easily scratchable.. can you attest to this?

I think it will scratch quite easy but it is an MP3 player....does it really matter? as for the build quality...it is top notch and so far it is working fine...I am going to re-rip some stuff for it since for what I am going to use it for I don't have to have any real high quality rips

I for one would appreciate a pic to see the relative size of it, if at all humanly possible :)

wait, so the neck cord holds just the cap? not the actual usb interface thinger? sounds like a disaster waiting to happen, espeicially if you take the thing jogging or something like that.

The USB connector has two small holes, one on each side of the connector. The cap has two spring loaded catches in it that go into the holes keeping it pretty firmly attached to the unit. At least it did on the test unit I got to fiddle around with.

they are acutally sprig loaded ball bearings that pop into two little holes in the sides of the USB connector...it is quite secure and it acutally snaps into place

I've got several things lying around my apartment that used to snap quite firmly into place and yet now after a few years of use are not nearly so snappy. It just seems like a less than good idea to do it that way.

Darth Bagel said:
I've got several things lying around my apartment that used to snap quite firmly into place and yet now after a few years of use are not nearly so snappy. It just seems like a less than good idea to do it that way.

Agreed, truth is detents will wear out no matter what.

I don't think the lifespan of the shuffles are meant to be all that long anyways, well not as long as it's larger iPod brothers. With a flash drive capacity of only 512 and all..

eGabe said:
Agreed, truth is detents will wear out no matter what.

I don't think the lifespan of the shuffles are meant to be all that long anyways, well not as long as it's larger iPod brothers. With a flash drive capacity of only 512 and all..

and 1 gig....personally I think it will last as long if not longer as there are less things that can go wrong with it...no moving parts...though I have a strange feeling people are going to get stupid and break their USB ports on their comps if they aren't careful with them :eek:

I have a question for you since you have an actual unit. Do you have to use their God awful iTunes software to transfer the mp3s on to it or can you just copy songs over to it using Windows Explorer?

Hey gigglebyte isn't there an option in iTunes that will automatically shrink the files down to 128 k rips? If that is small enough for you. I just picked up a couple of these for my sisters and I saw that as an option but I'm not sure how good it works.

Hofy, I think the only thing that works with the shuffle right now is iTunes but I'm sure some of the 3rd party iPod aps will have an update soon for the shuffle.

Hofy - I don't know why you think iTunes is so bad...it is actually one of the better ones out there but no you can't just drag and drop from windows explorer

MannyZ - I just did that when I got home last night and resynced 1.34 Gig of 160/192k MP3s down to 128AACs and it crunched it down to about 640 Meg and they sound fine

Yea they look cool but gigglebyte do you think you will use it that much as you have a 20g ipod(or so says your sig)? Or I guess will you be using your 20gig ipod much :)
I personaly think the shuffle is cool but I see no point to get one as I have a 15 gig ipod and don't see the point in 2 mp3 players.

well I have been listening to the shuffle more than the 4G over the last few days but realisticaly for what I am going to use it for is on my boat...just picked up a transmitter and that way I can use the shuffle with 12+ hours of music and not have to worry about CDs (head unit doesn't play MP3s) and no worries about skipping either...I think that in general people will get this to either
1) supliment their regular ipod when they are working out
B) give something like this to the kids as it will be less likely to break
III) use it as an easy transfer device (pen drive)

I will also be using it to easily transfer music as all I have to do is slap into my USB port on my PC and away I go

Makes sence. Yea I just look at them as a neat little toy. Besides that ipod is a lot cheaper which would make it better for using near the water :)

i think its a kind of dumb idea, they should have just done a smaller, hard drive based one for the budget people, like a 3 gig or something

They did that, it's called the iPod Mini. Hard drives can only get so small.

idk the build quality of the mini is 5 times better than the shuffle, and the shuffle has no screen.

it looks like a toy more than an mp3 player, like a happy meal toy. the regular ipods are study as hell, i have a friend who regularly drops his g4, idiot, lol, but it still works exceptionally well.

gigglebyte said:
no..I work for Apple and all regular employees got them

you work at an apple store? and what else do you get for working there sounds cool

Grrrrrrrrr mine ships on or before 2/14/05....not even gauranteed a good valentines day haha....seeing as my ipod took a dive onto the treadmill at the gym the other day this thing cant get here soon enough :D

I used to work in tech support but have moved to another position within the company

Back