Got my Westinghouse LVM-37W3 37" 1080p display today!

or you could get something like this for $150 on ebay...

afs1_04(1).jpg

Kherozene said:
i am interested greatly in the price you are getting to ship internationaly, who is you freight forwarder? thanks

It is a private company that only flies to The Bahamas once a week so I doubt it would help much unfortunately. But for reference, he charges $0.90 per pound.

heres a question for you w3 owners. how long is the power cord? im trying to figure out the layout in my office, and its looking like im going to have to rearrange some things. As long as its around 7' or so, ill be fine. thanks

thenixhex311 said:
heres a question for you w3 owners. how long is the power cord? im trying to figure out the layout in my office, and its looking like im going to have to rearrange some things. As long as its around 7' or so, ill be fine. thanks
Its about 5 feet.. but its a standard computer PSU cable, and they make them longer. =)

w1retap said:
Its about 5 feet.. but its a standard computer PSU cable, and they make them longer. =)

how about the DVI cable? it DOES come with one right? How long is it? I need about 7' there too.

thenixhex311 said:
how about the DVI cable? it DOES come with one right? How long is it? I need about 7' there too.
You supply your own dvi cable.. this is just a hdtv. It comes with the monitor, power cable, and user manual.

Hey guys just picked up the same TV from newegg with the 3 year extended warranty for just under 1400$ shipped. If you purchase through newegg you can enter the promo code "west37" for an additional 100$ off. cant wait to get it!

PsharpOMG said:
Hey guys just picked up the same TV from newegg with the 3 year extended warranty for just under 1400$ shipped. If you purchase through newegg you can enter the promo code "west37" for an additional 100$ off. cant wait to get it!

Damn you!! I just had to cancel my order so I can re-order it with the discount! Lol jk about the damn you..Now I can get a couple extra things for that ;)

Anyone have any issues ordering from www.jr.com? I've currently go the 30" Dell but am planning on switching it out for the Westy and jr's got it at a pretty decent price atm. Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

magnetik said:
I just searched for LCD stand. I like the floating ones a lot.. But here's the link http://cgi.ebay.com/PLASMA-LCD-FLOO...078QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item200039174617

thats pretty clean, and my computer desk is glass on top also so it would match, only difference is that tv stand is light silver, the pc desk is a gunmetal......every single thing in my room is black and/or gunmetal and darkwood, idk if a silver stand would look too hot, but if i can manage to find a stand like that in black, or gunmetal...i just may get it

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
JR_Rider said:
thats pretty clean, and my computer desk is glass on top also so it would match, only difference is that tv stand is light silver, the pc desk is a gunmetal......every single thing in my room is black and/or gunmetal and darkwood, idk if a silver stand would look too hot, but if i can manage to find a stand like that in black, or gunmetal...i just may get it
I think you should consult Christopher Lowell first. :p ;)

PsharpOMG said:

Now I have to wait for my damn preffered account to be credited back. They told me that if I called I could it expedited. So I cancelled and called them and then they say they cant. So now Im screwed. I have to wait till friday or next monday to order.

So now I got to hope
A) They dont go out of stock
B) The $200 instant savings doesn't go away
C) The $100 off promo won't expire

This sucks.

Thanks for the input on the stand at ebay. With the $60 shipping its $210 which isn't too bad. Thats $80 cheaper than the techcraft swivel base one I posted.

I like the techcraft swivel base better since I'd like to be able to swing the monitor around to face my room seating (with the back of my desk facing the room seating), or have it facing my desk seat the majority of the time. I'm going to call techcraft to see how many degrees the base swivels. Hopefully it will do 180 degrees or freely spin all the way around.

I do like the flexibility in positioning of the wall mount arms. To be able to swing the monitor in closer for gaming and further out for browsing would be nice. It would also alow me to tilt the monitor downward when I recline my desk chair back, or swing the whole monitor around and tilt it perfectly toward my room seating opposite the desk, or move it out of the way if I needed to. Its just that the wall mounts are semi-permanent (unless you want to keep tearing up your walls) and the install could be a pain too - perhaps requiring building up a wall with 2x4's and/or 2x6's painted to match the wall in order to get the mount in just the right place if the studs aren't just where you want them.

Nims said:
Anyone have any issues ordering from www.jr.com? I've currently go the 30" Dell but am planning on switching it out for the Westy and jr's got it at a pretty decent price atm. Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

I have purchased an infocus 4805 projector and a harmony 890 remote from www.jr.com. Also got a physical catalog from them. Great store. Ground shipping can take a while for me since I am in CA and store is in NY. No problems though.

A question for you guys.

When looking at LCDs in the 37ish size at a local Best Buy, I noticed that while I find that this size fills my vision nicely at about three feet distance, focus was another matter. I found that trying to take in everything onscreen at once in some of the demo videos actually hurt my eyes, and I found myself having to focus on specific parts of the screen.

Now, I do have to do this a bit even with something like a 17 inch CRT at 12-18 inches, but I was having to do this a lot more with the demo displays. I imagine reading text across the entire thing must take quite a bit of eye movement, and it looked to me like it might make it harder to keep track of all available information in games that take advantage of the full screen. What's your guys' opinion of this? Is it something you get used to? Does it affect usability at all?

5150Joker said:
Because Westinghouse uses Chi Mei panels and this is what Chi Mei has listed on their site: http://www.cmo.com.tw/cmo/english/product/showtv.jsp?flag=20040804203848

I don't think Chi Mei has updated their website to include the panel revisions with 8 ms g2g response time and to specify that it has 1000:1 contrast ratio.

The westinghouse specs jives better with the LG Philps LC370WU1 panel is why I asked.

How do you know they use Chi Mei, took it apart?

Also could you answer my question about 42" vs 37" westinghouse. I am going to order one just don't know which is better besides obvious size difference.

Thanks

tightline said:
The westinghouse specs jives better with the LG Philps LC370WU1 panel is why I asked.

How do you know they use Chi Mei, took it apart?

Also could you answer my question about 42" vs 37" westinghouse. I am going to order one just don't know which is better besides obvious size difference.

Thanks

Says right on Westinghouse's website that their partner is Chi Mei. Plus you can just google it and there's a lot of information floating around about that (including on the AVS forum). Both the 37" and 42" are great but the older 42" models did have some kind of firmware issue that was resolved in the newer ones. Go with whatever your budget and size requirements dictate. Personally I think 37" is perfect because the dot pitch works out great at that size.

When I got home from work I found my shipment had been postponed until tomorrow so I called to see if they would hold it for me to pick up this evening. The driver was supposed to call me back to tell me if he had the box but I only got a dutch-ring with a busy signal when I picked it up. So I *69'd the number and called back. A FedEx girl answered and asked me about the order number and where it was going. It turns out she lives right near me and offered to bring the set home with her in her mini-van. So an hour later a pretty blonde girl in khakiz pulls right into my driveway with the westy! :D Talk about service lol.

This monitor's brightness fluttered alittle when I first fired it up, accompanied by mouse lag but once it warmed up it ran perfect. I made a few quick tweaks to lower the brightness and backlight in the monitor controls then ran the nvidia monitor wizard test patterns, after which I readjusted the brightness down alittle again.

Even with only the quick tweaking I did I have to say this monitor is freaking gorgeous. I ran a high resolution photo slideshow, ran a few mins of world of warcraft and tomb-raider legend, and also threw "sin city" dvd in to test the view out from back about 6 feet or so.
I'm extremely happy with what I am seeing.

I still have to move my desk and stretch my dish network HD box over to where I am moving the desk to. This is going to take some work to accomplish. I have a million wires and peripherals and crap and its a big corner desk with a full desk 'wing' off each side(not the small pie slice-shaped corner desk type). I dont have the file box thing on the right side its all leg roomother than my subwoofer. And I don't use the keyboard drawer - the desk is high enough that I can use my MS wireless ergo keyboard anywhere on its surface comfortably.

777721021699.GIF

I'll post pics once its set up alittle better and I've tested HDTV on it, etc. Although very early in my ownership I have to say if you can stretch the cash and are sitting on the fence about this monitor - go for it. :D

PsharpOMG said:

Ouch. I guess you missed my post a couple pages back that this TV is only $1100 + $51 shipping at J&R right now. Also most Visa/MC/Amex give a second year warranty for free, so if you buy a three year warranty it's in effect only a one year warranty since you will likely have coverage the first two years at no charge. Many credit cards offer extended warranty coverage for decent prices which may be a good way to go since they already pick up year two at no cost.

sanvara said:
Ouch. I guess you missed my post a couple pages back that this TV is only $1100 + $51 shipping at J&R right now. Also most Visa/MC/Amex give a second year warranty for free, so if you buy a three year warranty it's in effect only a one year warranty since you will likely have coverage the first two years at no charge. Many credit cards offer extended warranty coverage for decent prices which may be a good way to go since they already pick up year two at no cost.

The 3 year warranty doesnt go into effect until the factory warranty is up.

from what i've read so far you'd get 1 year Westinghouse Digital warranty and 5 years from whoever you bought it from but that is a long time!

i got my HD cable box today, it came with component cables, i was wondering which would be better to get ...dvi to dvi, or dvi to hdmi? or would it be the same?

JR_Rider said:
i got my HD cable box today, it came with component cables, i was wondering which would be better to get ...dvi to dvi, or dvi to hdmi? or would it be the same?
It depends what your cable box has, and what you are using for audio. HDMI carries audio as well, so you could use the built in speakers on the monitor. If you have seperate audio like a reciever, go with DVI. I would use HDMI in my case, and use DVI for my computer. It also depends if your cable company has the DVI and HDMI outputs disabled on the box. I know with my HD cable box, they are both disabled and only component works. I'm getting a new box with the newer firmware upgrade which enables the two ports.

w1retap said:
It depends what your cable box has, and what you are using for audio. HDMI carries audio as well, so you could use the built in speakers on the monitor. If you have seperate audio like a reciever, go with DVI. I would use HDMI in my case, and use DVI for my computer. It also depends if your cable company has the DVI and HDMI outputs disabled on the box. I know with my HD cable box, they are both disabled and only component works. I'm getting a new box with the newer firmware upgrade which enables the two ports.

the box has dvi and component, no hdmi output, im using component at the moment, and yes i do have a reciever so you say i should use dvi so i can use the reciever speakers? and the tv has 2 dvi outputs, so i could use 1 for cable and 1 for computer, although thats not why i bought the tv (for computer use) but i am going to buy a 15 foot dvi cable to go from the computer to the tv, if i ever want to hook it up to watch a movie or something without having to burn it

I bought mine from J&R when it was $1150 on Monday, but my status has been "processing" for 2 days. 20 min ago, I got a call from them, verifying the shipping addy and everything, and they said they're shipping it out today, if that helps. I bought this badboy on a whim after reading what everyone here on [H]Forums has been saying about it...I hope it turns out as great as everyone says! :rolleyes: :eek:

Veritas616 said:
I bought mine from J&R when it was $1150 on Monday, but my status has been "processing" for 2 days. 20 min ago, I got a call from them, verifying the shipping addy and everything, and they said they're shipping it out today, if that helps. I bought this badboy on a whim after reading what everyone here on [H]Forums has been saying about it...I hope it turns out as great as everyone says! :rolleyes: :eek:

thanks for the heads up. I ordered mine on Monday too... hopefully they call me soon.

Ok, I think this question can go in this thread, if not, mods move it.

I just bought this baby, and it's replacing my Dell 2405. I have the Klipsch Promedia 2.1's, and would like to use this LCD as both my computer monitor and tv. The Comcast box I have for HD has component and hdmi out. I want to connect my computer to the lcd via DVI, and I guess I would connect the cable box via component.

But, I would like to use my speakers for both my PC and TV. How can I accomplish this? Do I need to use a splitter for the 3.5mm green connection cable coming out of my Klipsch, and have one go to the PC, and the other to the digital box using a 3.5mm-to-RCA (red&white) adapter for the component cables? Shouldn't this work? Thanks for the help!

Back