Got my Westinghouse LVM-37W3 37" 1080p display today!

the biggest difference if i remember correctly is the W1 doesnt have HDMI while the W3 does. Maybe a slight change in look too, not sure.

claudione314 said:
The biggest difference is that the W3 is 1080p and the W1 isn't... it's 1366x768...

C.

Nah, the W1 has 1080p with no HDMI but 3xDVI, W2 is 1366x768, W3 is basically a W1 with HDMI, 2xDVI, and some difference in how it looks.

Edit: The W1 also has 12ms while W3 has 8ms. Also they changed the backlight as their website states the W1 has 50,000 hours while W3 has 60,000. Also the W1 is slightly heavier and the dimensions are different as well. The W1 comes with 2-20watt speakers and W3 with 2-15 watt.

W1 - http://www.westinghousedigital.com/details.aspx?itemnum=26
W3 - http://www.westinghousedigital.com/details.aspx?itemnum=56

Curious about the difference between the quality though component between the 24'' Dell and the 37'' westy... i see alot of tearing and ghosting on my wii with component cables on my dell 24'' will i notice that on the westy as well?

many have their 360s hooked up through component and i havent heard of any problems.

Pics of my xbox 360 and the halo3 trailer from xbox live, through the 42" westy...

killed the picture quality from 3888x down to 1000x, then photobucket chops down to 800x

IMG_3293.jpg

IMG_3286.jpg

IMG_3283.jpg

IMG_3281.jpg

phillyb, how do you like the 42" westy? i hear some bad things about it compared to the 37"...are you overall satisfied with it?

Damn... i got mine a couple of days ago and yeah it is nice. Component vs VGA: The only difference i see is the lack of interlace(duh) during playback. On games i still see 1080p so no difference there. Once you notice interlacing you will always notice it.

I also picked up a HD-DVD player and the difference is very noticable versus regular DVDs. I like it a lot. Its not a huge leap like VHS to DVD though. Maybe someday broadcast will go 1080p or at least 100% HD (one can hope, but then there will be no reason to leave the couch).

I haven't gotten around to fine tuning it yet. If i don't have any DVI problems, it will be the best purchase i've done.

I dont know anything about the 37" personally. I know all the specs, I was fully prepared to buy that one, but couldnt drag myself to purchase it online. I buy plenty of stuff online, my credit card company is like a bulldog on crack when it comes to fraud, but not being able to return a tv kinda bothers me.

I like my monitor. Its almost sickeningly huge.

After one day I have the following annoyances.

Changing inputs takes some time. Well now I have my remote with me (left it in the car earlier) and its alot faster, as there are different buttons for the types of inputs. So not so bad.

Its widescreen, so some games look weird.

I can tell the difference in refresh rate from my VX924 (4ms vs 8ms - go figure) but only when in FPS and I spin. Rare, but I just wanted to see.

I wish I was a little taller? I sit about 10 inches above the logo. Its a friggin huge tv.

Small annoyances, but thats all I came up with. I think I need to give it more power, I have two computers, westy, 360, two UPS, dvd all in the same spot. When I cut on my overhead light/fan sometimes my UPS trip from the change in voltage, and I think that messed with the westy.

All you need is something that can support 1080P, and you are golden. I have heard many problems with the PS3 and HDMI (so get component cables) but I have no problem with either DVI or component 1. I need a component cable for my DVD, but I am sure it will work. I may also get a HD-DVD for my xbox, after xmas (and many more paychecks)....

I will have more pics tommorrow. Whatcha think of the pics? not even close to real.

Who had the 1080P background images? I am searching deviantART, but they changed the site around since last time and I cant find the search by resolution part.

Man each time I see new pics of this monitor I wish I got off my lazy ass and got a job so I could buy this monitor.

:eek:

Ricey said:
Nah, the W1 has 1080p with no HDMI but 3xDVI, W2 is 1366x768, W3 is basically a W1 with HDMI, 2xDVI, and some difference in how it looks.

Edit: The W1 also has 12ms while W3 has 8ms. Also they changed the backlight as their website states the W1 has 50,000 hours while W3 has 60,000. Also the W1 is slightly heavier and the dimensions are different as well. The W1 comes with 2-20watt speakers and W3 with 2-15 watt.

The W3 is also a hell of a lot more attractive.

Ricey said:

Thanks for that good facts there that have to be thought about before buying that W1!

But I dont know If I should buy the westi 37" or the 42" I mean they have a big price difference
37"=999.99$
42"=1799.99$

These are BestBuy prices thats were am gonna buy it that or Ebay.+ The 37inch
is 1080p and I will only be using for pc/tv/xbox360 and that thing can appropriately fit on my desk unlike the 42"LMFAO !!!!! :p

can find the 42" 1499 or less and if you are looking for a reputable dealer online, crutchfield, 1499 to be exact.

Go to Best Buy and price match the Crutchfield price...

1799.99 - 1499.99 = 300

300 x 110% = 330

1799.99 - 330 = $1469.99

Hell of a deal for the 42" :D

Grimspoon said:
Go to Best Buy and price match the Crutchfield price...

1799.99 - 1499.99 = 300

300 x 110% = 330

1799.99 - 330 = $1469.99

Hell of a deal for the 42" :D

Best buy doesn't price match online.

This is a post asking for help with tearing in DVD's and Videos on the Windows desktop. I am posting because I can't find any information on how to reduce it on the web or in the [H] Forums. There are tons of posts about tearing in video games but none at all that I can find dealing with tearing while watching videos in XP.

Anyone know how to set up the Advanced Timings settings in the NVIDIA control panel for this monitor? I don't have a clue what any of those settings do.

I just got a nice 1080P 37inch Westinghouse LVM-37W3 LCD HDTV Monitor which I am using as my Monitor / TV / DVD player through VGA out on my old EVGA Geforce 6800 AGP the original one. I put my old CRT back and I could see the same tearing in the Videos but it wasn't as noticeable before as the screen is only 23 inches which is why it didn't really bother me as much before. The tearing doesn't show up when playing Wii (Video input), PS2(Component), or DVD's on PS2. I lowered the resolution down to 640 x 480 and it actually got worse? I am using 60hz which is what Westinghouse recc. Putting refresh up to 70 or 72 doesn't help. I wasn't using my old CRT as my only TV-DVD-Monitor so the tearing was there but it is more annoying now that I am using my computer as my main DVD/Video playback device.

Quake 4 and Oblivion look so amazing at 1280x720 (all I can run them on this video card) it's completely nuts. Westinghouse LVM-37W3 is a wonderful monitor as long as you are running it at anything but 480i where it shows ghosting. Probably due to the Upscaling of interlaced images. I bought it from crutchfield so I think I have a month to return it just in case it has something to do with the monitor not that I think it does.

I am pretty sure it is my video card. I turned forced Vsync and triple buffering, and of course that didn't do anything not that I was expecting it to. Is there something I can change under Advanced Timings in the NVIDIA Control Panel to fix this? The Westy is on analog VGA. I ordered a DVI cable which I should get soon. I don't thing that will help any though. I have been waiting for a mainstream priced DX10 card even though I don't think I will get the performance sucking Vista for a year or two. Does anyone think it is because the Ramdac on the EVGA is cheap? So if that were the case then I would need to make sure I was buying a good quality name brand card which is used more often in Media Center setups. Any good card brands that are used in media center setups? Does this occour more or less with ATI cards?

I will be holding out for a new vid card until at least the DX10 NVIDIA spring refresh. So if anybody can tell me any fixes to hold me over until then I would be most appreciative.

Any help at all or pointing me to a better place to look for an answer would be greatly appreciated.

I have a amd x2 @ 2500ghz, 1gig ram. I am running XP Pro with only a firewall running. No other processes.

FuzyBaffy said:
Any help at all or pointing me to a better place to look for an answer would be greatly appreciated.
Using the auto adjust on westy helped me.

PhillyB said:
Pics of my xbox 360 and the halo3 trailer from xbox live, through the 42" westy...

killed the picture quality from 3888x down to 1000x, then photobucket chops down to 800x

IMG_3286.jpg
Wow.. you need calibration really bad!!!!

Here's the same screen on my westy after using AVIA.

halo31.jpg

Today, I went to a local retailer just for shits and giggles not expecting anything.

Of course I was met by an associate immediately.

I asked if they had any 37 inch 1080i/p LCD's. Mind you, I expected the same answer as every other area in town. He says to me, you're really limiting your options (I was thinking, here we go again). He then says, I only have...

...at the same time he's talking, I began talking about Westinghouse's LCD.

Just as I mentioned the WH's LCD, we both end up in front of the LCD I've been researching for months--thanks in part to this thread.

I tell ya, I was so freaking excited to see this LCD in front of me.

For one, they had it in stock and for two, well they had it for $999.00. Out the door I purchased this bad boy for another ironic number--$1080.00.

So, if you live in Texas or Missouri and you see a Con's Electronic store--check em' out. This store had 5 more.

1005343xx0.jpg

1005347lz7.jpg

Am I the only one who thinks this monitor shrinks? I swear, when I got it, it was massive. Now, I am already thinking it's "not that big" :p

Also, my 2007FP, which I once thought to be good sized, looks positively tiny. Perception is everything :D

for now, it looks big to me :)

but I've had big monitors before and yeah, they do look small after a while. You should ask yourself though...what's it going to take to keep that "big" feel?

Pkirk618 said:
for now, it looks big to me :)

but I've had big monitors before and yeah, they do look small after a while. You should ask yourself though...what's it going to take to keep that "big" feel?

I shudder at the thought :p

amrod said:
What are your settings ?
Here's my VGA settings. I don't use any other inputs... this Monitor is strictly 360.

VGA:

Brightness: 38
Contrast: 65
Saturation: 58
Hue: 1+
Color: Neutral
Backlight: 0
Sharpness: VGA default 0

SETTINGS.jpg

Thanks for the settings ToxicAdam.

I just recently noticed that theres some slight chirping when the backlight is set to max, and even when the backlight is off (alot less, but still there). Does anyone think that warrants a return/replacement?

Thats probably my camera settings. I am still getting used to it, its more camera than I can use, one of the new digital rebel xti cameras. As far as colors, I havent messed with anything at all in that pic. I have since killed the backlight and lowered the brightness a tad. I will try those settings, I am sure its off big time.

Right now I am just trying to enjoy this thing, it is the biggest leap in general computer usage I have made that I can remember. No other single leap forward in technology has been so clear, and immediately noticeable to everyone.

my.php

Heh posted this picture up on my WoW guild forum dmac is the guild leader :p
*edit* the ps3 and wii are strictly for size comparison no kind of e-peen factor at all :) lol

PhillyB said:
Thats probably my camera settings. I am still getting used to it, its more camera than I can use, one of the new digital rebel xti cameras. As far as colors, I havent messed with anything at all in that pic. I have since killed the backlight and lowered the brightness a tad. I will try those settings, I am sure its off big time.

Right now I am just trying to enjoy this thing, it is the biggest leap in general computer usage I have made that I can remember. No other single leap forward in technology has been so clear, and immediately noticeable to everyone.
I just got my westy 2 days ago.. those are my AVIA settings..

Contrast is the hardest thing to gauge on LCDs. I'm thinking about reducing it. I'm positive about the other settings however

Talk about screen shrink syndrome. I came from a 5 year old 18" viewable CRT. The first three days my only thought was HOLY SH#@ this thing is too big....Now it's just right....and shrinking.

PS what's the best way to post pics?

I hate each and every one of you for making me buy this thing.

Ok, well to be more exact, my wallet hates each and every one of you. I couldn't be happier.

any place selling it for under 1 grand shipped or instore? I live on east coast so shopko is out of the question....

86reddawg said:
I hate each and every one of you for making me buy this thing.

Ok, well to be more exact, my wallet hates each and every one of you. I couldn't be happier.

omg lol

I went from a 19" panel to this 42" panel. Also my 360/dvd player has been on the 27" CRT type tv, thats like 4 years old (my old college tv). Before the 19" I had a 15" crt sony trinitron. lol

What is avia? Is that one of those spider devices that hang over the tv?

Avia is a home theater calibration dvd, it does audio and video and is leaded with test patterns for both plus a guide on how to interpret the information and the test patterns. I think you can get it from Amazon, it has been awhile since I bought mine.

Dude, I just realized my friend was talkin about that. I need to give him a call.

Has anyone gotten any HD-DVD players hooked up? I am considering a HD-DVD 360 player, and maybe some HD-DVDs. I am still wonderin what will be best for my 'ordinary dvd' collection. They are all compressed to fit on my hdd. I have a dvd player with progressive scan, but no component cables, I bought 3 ft and they are too short.

Back