Got my Westinghouse LVM-37W3 37" 1080p display today!

gamingarena23 said:
Anyone from Toronto, Canada that have Westinghouse 37w3?
I'm desperately looking to get one i got W1 at local BestBuy in Toronto but the ghosting on this thing is not acceptable and i hope that W3 is much better then the W1.

I heard the new W4 is coming out is it true or is just a rumor?

So please if someone know where can i get one in Toronto or Ontario i would appreciate.

Thakns

I nabbed one from Crutchfield Canada last week for $1200CAD. They offer free shipping and stock comes out of their new Mississauga warehouse. Unfortunately, the W3 is no longer listed on their site, but if the rumours about the W3 being discountinued prove to be just that, look for it to pop up on their site again in the new year.

As I'm typing this post I'm downloading 1.31 firmware update through the ps3. Hopefully this solves the flicker issue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

holy chit i really hope it does please get back to us asap ty
im dln now too but wont have my westy for a few days

Well it did nothing to solve the flickerin issue !!!!!!!!!!! I'm gonna call westinghouse and beg for an answer to troubleshoot this issue or what is going on to troubleshoot this issue!!!!! I'm so mad right now, i would not have bought this tv if i knew that it would have this trouble with the ps3 this flickering when loading a game and exiting a game is simply UNACCEPTABLE!!!!

that sucks
but i think its all 1080p tvs right now? not just westinghouse
hope sony does something soon

yep, its a problem with ps3 hdmi 1.3 being incompatible with previous hdmi versions. Its a sony problem that needs to be addressed so all u can do is wait it out.

kfish311 said:
Well it did nothing to solve the flickerin issue !!!!!!!!!!! I'm gonna call westinghouse and beg for an answer to troubleshoot this issue or what is going on to troubleshoot this issue!!!!! I'm so mad right now, i would not have bought this tv if i knew that it would have this trouble with the ps3 this flickering when loading a game and exiting a game is simply UNACCEPTABLE!!!!
Contact Sony, its their problem, not the TV's. Whoever coded or work on their HDMI module must have been smoking crack. It does it with almost all 1080p TV sets. Do a quick youtube search and look for yourself. My buddies and I called Sony when it would work on neither of our 1080P HDTV's, and we had to RMA his PS3. He still hasn't got a replacement yet, and its been since the first week of the release date.

this is retarded... I ordered my tv and got it today and i hook it up and it has like a small dead pixel stuck on green it seems and like a cluster of 4 more stuck in the middle! Only can see those in white and they r red so it sticks out! I am trying that color video to see if tht works and massaging the pixels. This never worked for me so im not holding my breath

song said:
this is retarded... I ordered my tv and got it today and i hook it up and it has like a small dead pixel stuck on green it seems and like a cluster of 4 more stuck in the middle! Only can see those in white and they r red so it sticks out! I am trying that color video to see if tht works and massaging the pixels. This never worked for me so im not holding my breath

RMA it and get a new one.

Simple simple.

Edit because I am anal:

This is monitor not a TV. No tuner = Monitor.

lol sorry I had to do it.

song said:

Sucks for you man.
Etronics says you gotta pay return shipping.
You should've bought one while it was available at Crutchfield.
They offer to pay for return shipping both ways.

k00lance said:
Sucks for you man.
Etronics says you gotta pay return shipping.
You should've bought one while it was available at Crutchfield.
They offer to pay for return shipping both ways.

nah its all good. I called westinghouse and they said they will pay for shipping back to their warehouse. Downfall is it is in CA and im in CT. I will get a rma in a day or 2 and will take me roughly a month to get another one back.

BTW anyone get headaches from this thing? Its too big! lol

so far the only issue i have is that PiP doesnt save my setting...every time i want to use the feature..i have to set it up..i called Westinghouse...they said it should...unplug the tv for 5 minutes to reset it...well i did...didnt help...gotta call crutchfield now(kinda sux...cuz they dont have anymore)minor issue really...so im not worried...EXCELLENT Monitor!

I read on AVSforum that this display overscans 480p signals via component. So the top and bottom portions of Wii screens will be chopped off. Can anyone confirm this?

So, has anybody actually done the clone test to see how much lag exists between this display and a CRT? Subjective evaluations are meaningless.

dont think anyone really cares about lag on this monitor. I've heard absolutely zero people complain about input lag, ghosting though people have said slight to none at all. Of course if u want actual test results, not sure if u can pry anyone away from enjoying its uses long enough to run a test.

Any time I post about this monitor in other forums, it gets flamed hard. People immediately assume that Westinghouse is garbage and complain about the contrast ratio and response time and think that its HDMI input is useless. They compare it to Sony's and Sharp's, but even if those monitor's are better quality, their price is so much higher for a 1080p display.

deekayex said:
I read on AVSforum that this display overscans 480p signals via component. So the top and bottom portions of Wii screens will be chopped off. Can anyone confirm this?
Well, I just tested 480p component with my Xbox 360. This display overscans on both "fill" and "standard" modes. Fuck.

deekayex said:
Well, I just tested 480p component with my Xbox 360. This display overscans on both "fill" and "standard" modes. Fuck.
My god. Why would it do something like this?

deekayex said:
Hell if I know. I guess I'll be returning it. :(
But there was a review at NewEgg and they said the Wii looks nice. Of course they might have been doing 480i.

640 * 480 via VGA:

480p via component:

There's absolutely no reason for Westinghouse to do this. It cuts off 10% of the image!

Can anyone tell me whats going on with my DVI cables?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVI

I went there, and off my second desktop I have the DVi-i single link (very top one) and it looks AWESOME. My gaming machine is the DVi-D single link (middle one) and it looks like junk.

None of the stores I have seen have the DVi-i dual-link (one with every single pin available). I would like to just go ahead and get these, just to fill the entire connector, and replace both cables.

Any ideas?

deekayex said:
640 * 480 via VGA:

480p via component:

There's absolutely no reason for Westinghouse to do this. It cuts off 10% of the image!

Which one is the problem? I had a horrible picture over VGA with the HD-DVD, it limited the image res to like 1280x768 over VGA, but full 1080i (buddies tv) over component cable.

PhillyB said:
Which one is the problem? I had a horrible picture over VGA with the HD-DVD, it limited the image res to like 1280x768 over VGA, but full 1080i (buddies tv) over component cable.
The top and bottom parts of the component image are chopped off.

deekayex said:

I just tested with my old Xbox. No overscan in 480p in either "standard" or "fill" modes.

I have firmware version 1.5 and I am using Component Input 1.

What firmware version do you have?

Rhyno said:
I just tested with my old Xbox. No overscan in 480p in either "standard" or "fill" modes.

I have firmware version 1.5 and I am using Component Input 1.

What firmware version do you have?

how do u check firmware version?

Rhyno said:
Hit the Menu Button... goto the & Tab... and pick system info.

i have version 1.0 is that outdated? Is 1.5 newer? What changes r there? It doesnt really matter much cause im returning it to westinghouse for another since this one has 2 dead pixels. I just want to hold onto it until the end of the year so i can enjoy it on christmas break :D

song said:
i have version 1.0 is that outdated? Is 1.5 newer? What changes r there? It doesnt really matter much cause im returning it to westinghouse for another since this one has 2 dead pixels. I just want to hold onto it until the end of the year so i can enjoy it on christmas break :D

Actually 1.0 is the newest. It is stupid how they did their firmware versions. they started at 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, 1.6, then made their FINAL version 1.0. This has been verified on many forums so 1.0 is definately the newest.

However if 1.0 is overscanning the 480p images.. I suddenly feel much much better about my 1.5 firmware version.

I know that is no consolation to you guys. :(

Check both component inputs. If you don't want to return it, there are component to VGA adapters for about $50. But then you're Xbox 360 will be out in the cold. I hope I don't get the latest revision! Damn, I won't be able to return this either. What the hell is wrong with HDTVs? If you have a video cable, just make it work, people. All this crap with PS3 and 1080p over HDMI and Xbox 360 and 1080p over VGA and now Wii and 480p over component.

Hey, wait a second. Listen, 480p in widescreen is a resolution of 848x480. 640x480 is 4:3. And 480p is not a perfect 16:9 aspect ratio. I think it's just this discrepancy. Your image over component doesn't look that bad to me and shows just as much info as my monitor does at 1080p over VGA. I'll scrutinize it again, though. Yeah, I looked at your VGA pic, it looks stretched whereas the component picture looks fine. I believe your VGA pic is being stretched whereas the component is not. Something about your VGA pic is off. Things are elongated such as the C in Console Settings and the button icons. But the component looks fine. Set the VGA to 848x480 and take a pic, please. Thanks for posting your pictures, by the way. You had me pissed off, too. But there is no cropping of your image, I'm 90% sure. ;)

Everyone with a ps3 here's the update:

I've noticed that changing the ps3's settings to what your game puts out as it's highest resolution and then playing the loading and exiting the game everything is alright and it doesn't flicker.

Now if you change the setting to another game's highest resolution and load that and exit flickerin doesn't happen.

An example is that i'll change the settings when about to play resistance fall of man to 720p everything alright. I'll change it to NBA2K7 to 1080p everything is alright.

But if you let the ps3 automatic configure your tv's resolution; all of them standard 480p 720p 1080p and load a game / exit a game flickerin occurs.

So I'm lead to believe that maybe the westinghouse 37w3 can't handle all the ps3's settings for all resolutions supported by the monitor. (yes monitor not tv for editing purposes)

Really it's up in the air whether it's the monitor or the ps3's hdmi issues. Both seem to think it's the other and this problem will not be fixed anytime soon if westinghouse doesn't find a solution; because i don't think sony is going to do anything.

kfish311 said:
Everyone with a ps3 here's the update:

I've noticed that changing the ps3's settings to what your game puts out as it's highest resolution and then playing the loading and exiting the game everything is alright and it doesn't flicker.

Now if you change the setting to another game's highest resolution and load that and exit flickerin doesn't happen.

An example is that i'll change the settings when about to play resistance fall of man to 720p everything alright. I'll change it to NBA2K7 to 1080p everything is alright.

But if you let the ps3 automatic configure your tv's resolution; all of them standard 480p 720p 1080p and load a game / exit a game flickerin occurs.

So I'm lead to believe that maybe the westinghouse 37w3 can't handle all the ps3's settings for all resolutions supported by the monitor. (yes monitor not tv for editing purposes)

Really it's up in the air whether it's the monitor or the ps3's hdmi issues. Both seem to think it's the other and this problem will not be fixed anytime soon if westinghouse doesn't find a solution; because i don't think sony is going to do anything.
Can't you just use an HDMI/DVI-D cable for 1080p? How's the quality with that?

Ok so I need some advice from you guys, especially those of you who had the band issue down the left 1/3 of the monitor. I have this same problem and as much as I thought it wouldnt bug me...it does when I watch some movies and I see it. It just reminds me that I spend almost 1k on something and it doesn't work perfectly. So my question is which do you think is a better idea

1) call westinghouse and ask for a replacement
2) Go back to shopko and get a new monitor if they have it in stock.

The problem with #1 is that I fear they will send me a refurbished product, and that they will make me pay for shipping...which I absolutely wont do since it would probably be ~$100. The problem with #2 is that shopko is very far from me, and even if I go there there's no real guarantee that the panel I get won't have the issue....it's a hard decision.

kfish311 can u give us some pics of westy with ps3

edman i would go to the store first but what is really far? and i believe westinghouse will pay shipping

well..just got off the phone with Crutchfield reguarding my PiP issue..."Discontinued Item" y? he didnt have an answer for that....so i called Westinghouse back...they said "its definitely not discontinued" so it would seem that it "may" be just a supply issue...she referd my pip issue to the tech dept..should have an answer tomorrow...if anyone would do me a favor....does your pip setting (once you choose main and sub source,and audio from) stay once you exit the menu...or do u have to manually set them everytime you want to use pip?

reductant said:
Hey, wait a second. Listen, 480p in widescreen is a resolution of 848x480. 640x480 is 4:3. And 480p is not a perfect 16:9 aspect ratio. I think it's just this discrepancy. Your image over component doesn't look that bad to me and shows just as much info as my monitor does at 1080p over VGA. I'll scrutinize it again, though. Yeah, I looked at your VGA pic, it looks stretched whereas the component picture looks fine. I believe your VGA pic is being stretched whereas the component is not. Something about your VGA pic is off. Things are elongated such as the C in Console Settings and the button icons. But the component looks fine. Set the VGA to 848x480 and take a pic, please. Thanks for posting your pictures, by the way. You had me pissed off, too. But there is no cropping of your image, I'm 90% sure. ;)
No, it's definitely cropping the image. It's very noticeable in Hexic and Dead or Alive 4. Check out this post on AVSforum for further proof.

deekayex said:
No, it's definitely cropping the image. It's very noticeable in Hexic and Dead or Alive 4. Check out this post on AVSforum for further proof.
WEll, maybe, but your component image looks just like my 1080p image. Same amount of material on the screen. Also, why are those images and your set to 640x480 on a widescreen monitor? It's not right.

I do believe you now, but I don't think something like that would affect me that much. I wouldn't return this monitor over something like that. I just wish Nintendo would relesae a better cable.

We should wait and see some images from the Wii at 848x480 (480p). I think there's something funny about the Xbox 360. Post a picture of your Xbox 360 at 1080p over VGA and see how much is cut off.

Back